Hate the glare in the new MBP...thinking of switching to old MBP or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AluminumMB, Mar 16, 2009.

1. AluminumMB macrumors regular

Help out a Apple fan here. Having spent 2k I want my MBP to serve me for the long-term and not cause eye strain, as most glossy displays do.

I love Matte. It suits the "Pro" line of the MBP and I am not sure why Apple is only offering it on the MBP 17" line.

I cannot afford the 17" MBP's anti-glare option ($1000 more!) and nor do I need such a huge laptop.

:apple:

Considering spending less to get a MacBook Pro 2.4GHz of last generation to hold me over till Apple actually offers an anti-glare to the 15".

are you listening Apple? Apple, please stop being greedy to us loyal fans and listen to what we want. I am not agreeing to your policies as of lately, thnks.

2. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I have no idea how people can get "eye strain" just because a display is glossy.

The only time I've ever noticed mine was glossy was when I took it outside.

3. AluminumMB thread starter macrumors regular

glossy sucks, period
    looks cheap and generic like most pcs/dells lol

actually wait, at least dell offers a matte option for most of their notebooks

4. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

But you bought it.

There are a number of different films you can apply to your glossy screen if you don't like it, and a program to change out your glossy screen for a matte one - not by Apple.
    Search.

5. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Matte available on the 15" is unlikely.

It's like the lack of FW in the 13", Apple will "upsell" you to the 15" if you want FW.

They are "upselling" you again to the 17" if you want the Matte screen.

6. AluminumMB thread starter macrumors regular

good point

I might just go for the old gen

7. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

The entire line of Apple notebooks now looks exactly like other manufacturers. Apple sacrificed their unique look with the new models. Whether you get the glossy screen or not isn't going to make it look any less like a Toshiba with that hideous black keyboard on a silver body.

I don't really think that it was the matte screen that set Apple's computers apart in the past - plenty of other manufacturers (especially in the same price bracket as MacBook Pro) use them too.

8. AluminumMB thread starter macrumors regular

I am assuming you prefer the Classic MBP look as opposed to the unibodys. I agree. The new apple notebooks are pc-like appearence-wise and do not reflect Apple's genuine quality.

9. steventsmith macrumors newbie

You'll really regret going for the old gen when Snow Leopard comes out. Just sayin' =)

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Have you thought about going for the matte film to place over your screen? That may be a good solution for you, and it's cheap. Even if it doesn't work, you can switch to an old MBP next month.

11. foxx0775 macrumors member

i chose the previous gen mbp over the uni.

only thing i could do without is the latch on the old gen. its not great..

my main motive to choose this one was the matte screen, it is great.

12. macgrl macrumors 65816

You can get a matte screen film. It is not ideal as I am sure that you would like an original screen from apple, but it is better than nothing:)

13. bkarabel macrumors member

Just an idea ( i don`t even know if it is possible )

Is it possible to change the displays, it should not be difficult to find a matte mpb screen from ebay or cl and just swap the displays. Ofcourse that means spending more money

Does it make any sense?

14. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I'm not a big fan of glossy displays. I wish that Apple would have offered the Aluminum iMacs with a matte screen. The glossiness doesn't bother my eyes, but it does screw my photos up.

@ OP- I would grab a used previous gen, or a refurb and sell it when (if?) Apple releases a matte 15" MBP.

Don

15. Peabody macrumors regular

I have an old one with matte screen. I'd be happy to trade straight across!

:D

16. habubauza macrumors regular

habubauza

Why do you say that?

17. habubauza macrumors regular

habubauza

You get eye strain because your eyes naturally will try to bring into focus the images being generated by the reflection on the glossy screen.

18. AluminumMB thread starter macrumors regular

why? the 8600GT is better than the 9600M in the unibody mbs

19. AluminumMB thread starter macrumors regular

how old? depends how old ;)

20. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

No it's not. :rolleyes:

21. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Please find a Toshiba or any other laptop that resembles a MBP Unibody in construction, size, and feel. Please try. :rolleyes:

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

That's not true. There's nothing about the 8600GT that's better than the 9600M GT, other than its power consumption, which is 3 W lower than the 9600M GT (20 W versus 23 W). That difference is minor, though.

23. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

If he owns a PPC machine yes, otherwise no. Any Intel machine to date is gonna handle SL just fine

24. L0s7man macrumors 6502

25. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I said look, not feel. I agree that the construction of the new MacBooks is pretty much second to none, but they are absolutely hideous to look at when open. The black plastic is a big mistake in my opinion, and it is a real shame because it could easily have been silver to match the rest of the computer.

As the following two images will illustrate, they are really pretty similar to a very, very old Toshiba model in appearance.

[​IMG] [​IMG]