Hating the United States

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Lord Blackadder, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

An interesting op-ed piece...I'd like to listen to radio program, but living here in the Great Satan I don't get BBC radio. ;)

The French especially should check themselves - Le Pen is unlikely to be elected but the fact that he is running with some support makes a statement.

2. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Yeah but the thing is that there is so much injustice here :mad:

3. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

The candy machine downstairs just shorted me five cents! Oh, the injustice!

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

This notion is quite old.

5. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

did you tip over the machine yet? :eek:

6. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Another Goddamn crushed by a vending machine.^^^

7. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Yeah, the notion is old, for sure. Doesn't become any more rational with age, either.

Capitalism has rules, just like any system, any game. Most folks don't like to put out the little effort needed to learn the rules. Or take on the responsibilities for consequences that thinking for oneself requires.

The great thing about capitalism is that it allows any entrepreneurial thinker a way to find some money to bankroll the Good Idea. Doesn't matter if it's a Henry Ford or a Steve Jobs...Or a guy who thinks up hula hoops, frisbees or pet rocks, for that matter. :D

'Rat

8. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Yeah the only rule of captialism is to award yourself at least a $1000000 a day or else you're not considered a real enterpeneur.[sic]

9. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Easy there - I don't understand how you could be so heavily critical of an economic system that has made you, personally, more wealthy that 90% of the people in the world...If you were from Sudan and twlling me this it would give you more credibility.

10. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Me wealthy? Yeah, I am not proud of being richer than any of the Sudanese in fact.

I am for capitalism in a mixed economy but not for outrageous capitalism.

What guy is worth over a $1,000,000/day? I think no one seriously.

The most anyone should make is $1,000,000/year. If you can't survive on that, then sorry buster.

11. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

What a truly bad article that was. The topic of Anti-Americanism is interesting, so I was excited to read something on it, but this is not even on the level of a grade school paper. Sorry. Of course, what do you expect, when his entire insight into French Anti-Americanism (which exists for entirely different reasons, also deplorable), was based on Bernard-Henri Levy.

And who is BHL? A fraud, opportunist, bigot and liar - caught in lies red-handed when he wrote his book on America (lies about Katrina among other things). This is supposed to be the expert, quoted with approval, on American-French perspectives? He's been denounced across the spectrum (including by the mother of Daniel Pearl). Read up on this scumbag and his American book - an article far more revealing about what is going on here:

http://www.inthesetimes.com/article/the_lies_of_bernard_henri_leacutevy/

12. Dane D. macrumors 6502a

Examples please.
    I think you were born about a century to late and in the wrong country. You would of made a perfect second lieutenant (banana) to Lenin. When limits are placed on people, that society as a whole declines. There are plenty of examples of this throughout Man's history.
    I love this country, it is not perfect, no society is, but it is far better than anything else on this planet. :)

13. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Should have pumped three rounds into it and then hunted down the guy that stocks it. :)

14. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Well said.

15. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Wow, examples of injustice in the US... my goodness do I need to start at the Gitmo prisons and end at the Rodney King or Diallo shooting case in NYC?

Yeah, outrageous capitalism is bad for the nation. But that's alright, in 10 more years only 0.000000000000000000001% will own about 99.9999999999999999999999999999% of the GNP in the US.

And I don't care anyways because it can't be stopped and at least I have my macbook :)

16. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Wait, thats like saying 1 person will own the entire US.

In a country of +/- 300 million I'd say there are, what, 250,000 people who make over a million a year? I cant find any sources tho.

17. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Okay here you go:

[​IMG]

Net Worth Distribution 2001
    Source: Domhoff: Wealth, Income, and Power

"Economic inequality can also be measured in terms of overall wealth. The imbalance in wealth is far more dramatic than the imbalance of incomes. The top 1% of the population has more than a third of the country's wealth and the top 5% own almost 60%. The already small share owned by the bottom 80% has been diminishing. The share of wealth of the top 1% has returned to the levels which existed prior to World War 2.

Many believe that economic inequality is a disturbing trend because of the increasing polarization of what had been an admirably pluralistic society. Income disparities have produced conspicuous consumption among the wealthy and an impoverished "underclass" which includes most recent immigrants and a disproportionate number of African-Americans. There has been a growing "residential segregation" based on income status. America's cities and suburbs are increasingly identifiable by the income group which lives there. The consequences of this economic segregation are significantly reduced educational and vocational opportunities for those in lower income groups. For example, young Americans in the upper 20% of income levels are far more likely to complete four years of college.

A major disturbing byproduct of economic inequality involves public attitudes. Many policy issues draw less consensus opinion because they affect income groups differently. The "underclass", saddled with a negative net worth and minimal income prospects, become resentful of the wealthy particularly when consumption is conspicuous. These attitudes naturally assume a racial and ethnic tone as well. The affect of this trend on the middle class has been more subtle. This group, which is diminishing in number, is far more "status conscious" than in previous decades. The result has been unnecessary consumption, a high rate of debt and bankruptcy and the first negative savings rate since the depression years.. Studies show that this increase in spending has not resulted in any gain in personal satisfaction."

18. Dane D. macrumors 6502a

Oh, about the Duke rape case, now there was injustice. The media and that most excellent of DAs, Nifong had that case wrapped up before it ever went to trial. Gitmo, yeah thats injustice, imprisoning terrorist suspects off our shores. Lets see; we feed them, provide them with a Koran, allow prayer, shelter them from the harsh tropical climate, provide nice orange clothing, hell we even allow them to spit on us. Yup injustice to me;)
    As for your warped sense of economics, if it weren't for the giants of America's early industrial days, you wouldn't be on this web site typing your drivel. :p

Edit: where is it written in the Constitution that economic equality is a right?

19. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

No wonder leekohler hates Ohio so much...

Okay, hmm... well let's see:

"He has called together legislative bodies at places unusual, uncomfortable, and distant from the depository of their Public Records, for the sole purpose of fatiguing them into compliance with his measures.

He has dissolved Representative Houses repeatedly, for opposing with manly firmness his invasions on the rights of the people.

He has refused for a long time, after such dissolutions, to cause others to be elected, whereby the Legislative Powers, incapable of Annihilation, have returned to the People at large for their exercise; the State remaining in the mean time exposed to all the dangers of invasion from without, and convulsions within.

He has endeavoured to prevent the population of these States; for that purpose obstructing the Laws for Naturalization of Foreigners; refusing to pass others to encourage their migrations hither, and raising the conditions of new Appropriations of Lands.

He has obstructed the Administration of Justice by refusing his Assent to Laws for establishing Judiciary Powers.

He has made Judges dependent on his Will alone for the tenure of their offices, and the amount and payment of their salaries."

Sounds like someone familiar in the current admin eh buddy? :D :D

The Declaration of Independence declares that, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

Without economic equality, there are many who are unhappy. Try earning $5.80/hr flipping burgers and supporting a family using that eh? :p

John Locke once said,

"[F]reedom of men under government, is, to have a standing rule to live by, common to every one of that society, and made by the legislative power erected in it; a liberty to follow my own will in all things, where the rule prescribes not; and not to be subject to the inconstant, uncertain, unknown, arbitrary will of another man."

Wow, looks like those CEO's are subjecting their arbitrary will of wanting to profit at the expense of others... Perhaps time for more wootcakes for ya, top of the morning eh? :p

20. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I mean, sure, thats the way it goes. Whats the alternative? Everyone makes $100,000 a year whether you're a doctor or a garbage collector? Not much incentive to be a doctor.

I guess you could make all education free, but people tend to abuse things they dont earn or pay for.

What does this have to do with hating the united states?

21. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Because it dispels any assumption that hating the United States is the same as being critical of its policies :D

22. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

In IT, you don't make $100,000/year anymore - many jobs went overseas...

23. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

One day the CEO position will be outsourced soon. We have all become zombies or robots instead. The new golden calf will be Paris Hilton :eek:

24. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

This chart has me thinking. Where is the living wage point (clearly, every MSA has it's own point)? I really don't have an issue with outragous possession of wealth be a few - if sufficient numbers have less, there just won't be spending opportunities for the rich.

I am pretty sure that my family falls into the Bottom 80%, and we are comfortable enough. Everything we need, we can find an affordable solution for. Would we love to own a large home, all the furnishings we could want, several cars and a room full of Mac Pros? Yes. But what we have, we need or we find a way.

As capitalism leads to more concentrated wealth, the self-interest of the wealthy will demand that they find distribution methodologies.

25. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

No doubt but think of it, the rich repubs always talk about being so family-oriented and they probably enjoy starving millions of a families can't even afford the basic rent and food just to survive.