Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
I have an AirPort Extreme, we have 3 kids 6, 8, and 10.
All our computers are in general space, and we manage their viewing content.

2 weeks ago we started hosting a 15 year old boy from Spain as foreign exchange student, he will be here 10 months and graduate 10th grade from our High school.
Our "teenager in training".

He's a really great kid, loves sports, is social, etc.
Trouble is he has a iPod Touch he uses all the time for texting/facebook/etc.
I'm ok with all that, what I'd like to do is simply turn off WiFi 11pm - 6am, automatically.
His "downtime", sleep, etc.

Can that be done with existing Apple software I have Mac OS X 10.7.4?

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Launch Airport Utility, click Manual Setup<Access control. You'll need the MAC address of the iPod touch.

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004
He won't like this idea. Unless the internet is off for everyone as per "house rules" or something, I'd rethink this. Especially since he's at a 7 hour time difference to Spain from you. Late night might be one way he talks to family or friends in the morning over there.

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
He won't like this idea. Unless the internet is off for everyone as per "house rules" or something, I'd rethink this. Especially since he's at a 7 hour time difference to Spain from you. Late night might be one way he talks to family or friends in the morning over there.

I agree. How would you like it if you were in another country and couldn't talk to people you know. We live in an age where everyone is connected through the internet. Taking that away and you are taking away communication.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Launch Airport Utility, click Manual Setup<Access control. You'll need the MAC address of the iPod touch.

Thx for showing me how, appreciate it.

I agree. How would you like it if you were in another country and couldn't talk to people you know. We live in an age where everyone is connected through the internet. Taking that away and you are taking away communication.

I see your viewpoint, and he is a very social boy, loves sports, etc.
For now I won't do this, just want to know my options.
He's my "Teen in training", as we had not originally planned to host him but 3 1/2 weeks ago his original host family had an emergency and my wife found out about it so we raised our hand saying we'd be willing to host him for 10 months.
So there are a few things (a whole lot of things :rolleyes: )we have to quickly learn about 15 year old's that we'd get gradually via our kids.

Yea - I hear you on house rules thing, my 3 other kids are 10/8/6, on school days they don't even have access to the web 8pm-3pm via blockage.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011

E-mails, phone calls, facebook chat, texting with any of the free apps, video calls during mornings, evenings and weekends... There is so much time and possibility of communication during the day that the seven hours window where he really should be asleep can't be considered necessary for live communication.

"Poor little boy, only having 17 hours a day for communicating with his friends in Spain when he's on an adventure of a life time, being forced to sleep during school nights". Really?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.