Have 2.6GHz Mid-2012 – worth getting 2.5GHz Mid-2015?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by paupersdream, Nov 30, 2016.

1. paupersdream macrumors newbie

Hi folks, quick Macbook Pro question:

I use my trusty old Mid-2012 15-in MacBook Pro Retina for web development, graphic design, and some casual gaming.

If I have the opportunity to get a newer model (same 512GB SSD storage and 16GB RAM), is there any particular performance advantage to having the 2.5GHz i7 Haswell/Crystalwell CPU and AMD Radeon + Iris Pro dual graphics, vs. my current 2.6GHz i7 Ivy Bridge CPU and Nvidia + Intel HD dual graphics? On the face of it it's actually a slower speed CPU, but I would assume that there are other improvements that matter besides the nominal speed?

2. motime macrumors 6502

Yeah it should be a pretty good upgrade, just the SSD speeds alone. If you had the 2014 model then I wouldn't advise it but for 2012 I think it is worth it.

3. andreyush macrumors 6502

andreyush

The only main difference between the two models is the SSD. In terms of performace the SSD is faster but if you don't feel like your machine is slow or something the upgrade is not needed.
    Also the trackpad has forcetouch on the 2015 model but IMO it's not so useful.
    Between the CPU the difference in performace is not so big but the 2015 CPU model it's a Broadwell generation and it runs cooler.

It depends of the costs. If you have the money and you don't care..you should go for the 2015 model.
    But if you have something else to do with the money don't upgrade, it's not worth it.
    There are some improvements but they are not big.