Have 3.0 3g and want to update to newer firmware, but don't know how!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by coocooforcocoap, May 16, 2010.

1. coocooforcocoap macrumors regular

coocooforcocoap

Hi all, I live in Nepal and my kid sent me a 3G about a year ago preloaded with what seems like everything, and jailbroken so I can use local telecom simcard here. Works great, and I love this phone, but have noticed apps in the store require 3.1.2 OS and I currently have 3.0 OS, so they won't install. Can someone point me to a tut that will help me update the phone so I can run these newer apps?

I am a mac person good with installs there, but new to iPhone as I did not do the unlocking/jailbreaking, so no experience with that process at all. But the phone has Cydia installed, all updated, and again works very well - backgrounder, categories, winterboard, packager, and all of that is very cool.

I'm hoping for a one click solution guaranteed not to mess things up! But realistically, where do I start? Thx in advance for your advice!
    coocoo

2. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

first question to ask is are you looking to be able to unlock the 3G to use on a non-official phone carrier of the iPhone through jailbreaking?

3. coocooforcocoap thread starter macrumors regular

coocooforcocoap

Andy, thx for the reply, but my phone is already jailbroken/unlocked at the 3.0 level, and using ultrasn0W .92. Everything is working as expected, only I can't install some of the newer apps.

I see in iTunes that software version 3.1.3 is available, but from what I have read (and perhaps I am misunderstanding) is that if I do an update, it will somehow unjailbreak/relock/brick the phone, which is something that I would never ever want to do:)

coocoo

4. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

you are correct about 3.1.3 but 3.1.2 CAN be unlocked and will allow you to install all the iTunes app store apps.

firstly you will need to find the 3.1.2 firmware but since I don't think I can direct you to the place to get 3.1.2 I will send you the link via PM, to update using the 3.1.2 firmware saved to your pc/mac you will need to hold the alt button (for windows) then update or for mac options key then update and point itunes to the downloaded ipsw

as for jailbreaking your one click jailbreak is available in the form of spirit. Download for your operating system, update your iPhone to the official 3.1.2 firmware then once it's updated load spirit and hit the button and let the iPhone reboot, you will see a new image on screen with progress bar, let that do it's thing and it should reboot again or load straight to the homescreen and your jailbroken.

Now to unlock you will need to add http://blackra1n.com to cydia sources and then install blacksn0w and your all set to install all your cydia apps again and use your favourite network

5. coocooforcocoap thread starter macrumors regular

coocooforcocoap

Hi thx for that! I think I even understand what you said:) I'll give it a go. Is there any backup that I can do first in case something goes wrong, I mean outside of the itunes one. I have something called PKG backup but have never used. Along that line, are all the cydia things kept intact during this process? Cheers!
    coocoo

6. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

oh yeh you need to open pkgbackup click the backup button then do a backup in iTunes (this backup stores pkgbackup data as well as the phone's data) then jailbreak... install pkgbackup and then restore from the backup before the jailbreak and then in pkgbackup and click restore and I think it will either tell you to reboot your phone or it will reboot it for you and then your apps will be back

7. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I would strongly recommend against the procedure andybno1 suggested. Since you have the 04.26.08 baseband (the firmware that runs your phone's modem) and can use ultrasn0w, you should follow a procedure that will allow you to continue to use ultrasn0w instead of the much less stable blackra1n unlock. Blackra1n causes significant problems for a large minority of users, including sometimes permanent loss of WiFi while the unlock is installed.

The best procedure is to upgrade your phone using a custom firmware created with PwnageTool. If you have or can borrow a Mac, you can make the custom firmware yourself. If you do not, you can obtain a custom ipsw (iPhone1,2_3.1.2_7D11_Custom_Restore.ipsw) from a trusted source online. Such a custom firmware has the baseband upgrade removed so that it will not upgrade your phone's modem.

8. coocooforcocoap thread starter macrumors regular

coocooforcocoap

Uh oh, let me know if I have these steps right (this may turn into a good tut for others!)

1. Run pkgbakup and sync to itunes
    2. Run itunes option click: iPhone1,2_3.1.2_7D11_Restore.ipsw
    3. Run Spirit
    4. Install Cydia apps again including pkgbackup?
    5. Restore the apps using pkgbackup.

Please feel free to modify/annotate the procedure above:)
    thx,
    coocoo

9. coocooforcocoap thread starter macrumors regular

coocooforcocoap

Ha! I knew I would get confused sooner or later. I do have a mac (several in fact:) so can you modify the draft procedure above for me? thx!!!
    coocoo

10. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

1. Run PkgBackup, back up your phone, and sync to iTunes.
    2. Follow this tutorial at iClarified. This will upgrade your phone to 3.1.3 jailbroken while preserving the baseband and ability to use ultrasn0w.
    3. Sync your phone with iTunes.
    3. Open Cydia and install PkgBackup.
    5. Run PkgBackup and use it to restore your Cydia packages, including ultrasn0w.

11. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

oh my bad then.... I never had any issues with blacksn0w which is why I suggested it I avoided blackra1n app to jailbreak as that was causing issues with wifi and the likes were as blacksn0w on it's on was fine for my 3G

12. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Actually, it is blacksn0w which causes the WiFi issues. Blackra1n causes no issues for most people, although it does not install a particular library which is used by some third-party file transfer software.

Blacksn0w works fine for most people, but for a significant minority (10-20%) it causes intermittent WiFi problems. Usually they can be fixed with Reset Network Settings, reboot, or by cycling Airplane Mode on and then off, but some people report that WiFi simply will not work while blacksn0w is installed on their phones.

Don't get me wrong, blacksn0w is a blessing for those who have 05.11.07 and need an unlock. And the problem is not geohot's fault, it's probably a race condition created by a flaw in the iPhone's own software, possibly combined with the complexity and difficulty of the code injection vector (geohot said it was the hardest injection he's ever done). Still, I never recommend upgrading to those who have the option of preserving the 04.26.08 baseband.

13. coocooforcocoap thread starter macrumors regular

coocooforcocoap

This looks good! I will try and report back. Thx to both of you for your help. Many ways to skin this cat I see (although that is something I would never do). Cheers,
    jigs

14. coocooforcocoap thread starter macrumors regular

coocooforcocoap

Report: Fantastic, the iclarified/pkgbackup procedure did the trick just grand. The only casualty that I can see is with Categories/SBcatagories which got totally hosed. But it's time for a spring cleaning anyway. So thanks to you two who helped so much! MacRumors: Forums ROCKS!
    cheers,
    coocoo