Have 3GS, want iPhone 4, can I use my dad's upgrade eligibility?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Savko289, Jun 14, 2010.

1. Savko289 macrumors newbie

Let me start out by saying that I have done a lot of researching, not necessarily on MacRumors as I am new to this site, BUT I have been in contact with Apple and AT&T and have been getting conflicting information.

I got my 3GS last summer shortly after release; therefore, I am not eligible for an upgrade until February 2011. However, there are three other numbers/phones on my family's plan that are eligible to be upgraded. I have previously used other lines on my family's plan to upgrade my phone and just swap out the SIM cards. Obviously the new iPhone uses the mini-SIM, which is where I anticipate issues.

Basically what I am asking: Can I go to the Apple store and purchase the new iPhone using my dad's upgrade eligibility for the agreement pricing, and either have them switch the number to my phone number, OR would I be able to go to AT&T and get a mini-SIM that I can just put into the new iPhone?

2. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

you should be able to use any line that is eligible for the upgrade. however, he will have to keep the data plan for the entire 24 months. now if he already uses data then you should be good to go. just tell at&t that you are putting the 4 on your number and they will give you the new sim.

3. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

This is what im doing tomorrow with my moms lines, the AT&T manager said that they could swap everything for me without altering my moms account. So, we shall see.