Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ngrimes-2010

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
Hello there MacRumors!

Here's the situation. I got a 16gb ip4 on launch day and I have since decided that I would like a 32gb. Obviously I am past my 30 day return period so I'll have to put up the $499 for a new 32gb ip4. I see that 16gb are going on eBay for around $600-$700, and I would imagine I could fetch a bit more if I jailbreak and unlock it (which should be soon).

Here are my questions that I hope you can help answer:

1. Once I receive the new 32gb (3 weeks or so) and activate it will my old 16gb ip4 not have any ties to my account? Meaning could I leave the old 16gb sim card in there for my buyer to use or would I have to remove it?

2. Would it make more sense to just swap sims and send the 16gb ip4 to my buyer with the new 32gb sim? Is that 32gb sim card in any way tied to my AT&T account? Or is it neutral until someone activates it in iTunes?

3. If I do option 2 how will AT&T know that my 32gb is my official account phone?

Any help/feedback would be great. If you have any other words of wisdom please feel free to speak up!

jackiecanev2

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2007
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3Gs: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Nexus One Build/FRF50) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

All you have to do is swap sims. Seriously. Nothing else is required, will connect your account, etc.

Also, you're not technically past the return period because of the signal/bumper/open refund announcement.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Hello there MacRumors!

Here's the situation. I got a 16gb ip4 on launch day and I have since decided that I would like a 32gb. Obviously I am past my 30 day return period so I'll have to put up the $499 for a new 32gb ip4. I see that 16gb are going on eBay for around $600-$700, and I would imagine I could fetch a bit more if I jailbreak and unlock it (which should be soon).

Here are my questions that I hope you can help answer:

1. Once I receive the new 32gb (3 weeks or so) and activate it will my old 16gb ip4 not have any ties to my account? Meaning could I leave the old 16gb sim card in there for my buyer to use or would I have to remove it?

2. Would it make more sense to just swap sims and send the 16gb ip4 to my buyer with the new 32gb sim? Is that 32gb sim card in any way tied to my AT&T account? Or is it neutral until someone activates it in iTunes?

3. If I do option 2 how will AT&T know that my 32gb is my official account phone?

Any help/feedback would be great. If you have any other words of wisdom please feel free to speak up!

I would go Craigslist over eBay. I was going to sell my 3GS on eBay until I did the math on the fees. Its 9% sellers fee if it is sold over buy it now, 14% if it closes as an auction. Plus 3-5% for PayPal. I think it is completely ridiculous. If you sell it for 650 your look at 70+ in fees.

Also its &499 if you sign another 2 year contract, otherwise its %699. JIC your didn't know.

ngrimes-2010

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
I thought it was 30 days from date of purchase?

I would just return it and get the 32gb if I could but I'd have to wait 2-3 weeks to get it and I cannot be without a phone :(

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I would just return it and get the 32gb if I could but I'd have to wait 2-3 weeks to get it and I cannot be without a phone :(

It is 30 days from purchased date. If you got it on Launch or the day after you are past your 30 days.

ngrimes-2010

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
You're going to have to cough up $699 for a 32GB, the $499 is the early upgrade price.

See, I thought that too, but I went on att.com AND apple.com and got a price quote of $499 (upgrade to current line, not add another like). I also chatted with an apple rep and she confirmed that I could get the $499 price (I explained to her my exact situation minus the selling on eBay part- said it was going to a "friend" :D)

The price is not my issue here. I want to know about the questions I've asked if anyone can help.

Thanks!!

ngrimes-2010

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
I would take it to the Apple Store and DEMAND a refund.

I would do that except

1. I don't want to be without a phone for 3 weeks.
2. I could probably make some money on this transaction by selling on eBay.

Can anyone answer my questions?

actorkid

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
Hello there MacRumors!

1. Don't sell the phone with the activated SIM. Either put the SIM from the new 32gb model in the 16gb model, or just tell the buyer to pick up a new microsim (I think it's free, but could be wrong) from the AT&T store.

2. The sim on the new 32gb model won't be tied to your account until you activate it.

3. Your account is linked to the phone's serial number which tells AT&T exactly what model you have.

hope this helps!

ngrimes-2010

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
1. Don't sell the phone with the activated SIM. Either put the SIM from the new 32gb model in the 16gb model, or just tell the buyer to pick up a new microsim (I think it's free, but could be wrong) from the AT&T store.

2. The sim on the new 32gb model won't be tied to your account until you activate it.

3. Your account is linked to the phone's serial number which tells AT&T exactly what model you have.

hope this helps!

This does help, thanks! One thing though. You said that the phone's serial number is tied to my account. So if I just swap the sims, thereby giving my buyer the new unactivated 32gb sim, how will AT&T know that I am now using the 32gb? Are you sure that the sim that will come with the 32gb will in no way be tied to my account? I don't want to send it with the 16gb to the buyer if it could somehow get activated on my account.

Thanks actorkid!

actorkid

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
This does help, thanks! One thing though. You said that the phone's serial number is tied to my account. So if I just swap the sims, thereby giving my buyer the new unactivated 32gb sim, how will AT&T know that I am now using the 32gb? Are you sure that the sim that will come with the 32gb will in no way be tied to my account? I don't want to send it with the 16gb to the buyer if it could somehow get activated on my account.

Thanks actorkid!

You're in the clear man. The account links to whatever phone the sim is CURRENTLY in. So as soon as you put your old microsim into your new 32gb model, the sim card will tell the network that it is now working the new model. As long as you never activate the sim from the new 32gb phone and just put it straight into the completely wiped and restored 16gb model you should be golden.

Might I just suggest returning the current phone and purchasing a new 32gb model? Apple has said that they'll honor any returns without a restocking fee. I understand you'd like to make a couple bucks, but this just seems like the more hassle-free way to go about things.

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
Can anyone else help? :)

Since you are upgrading by renewing your contract and purchasing the discounted price, I would follow the activation instructions included with your new phone. You will need to activate the phone, and it is recommended you activate with the new sim card installed. If you do that process, the old sim in your current phone will be deactivated and your account will no longer be tied to the old sim and old phone IMEI; a sim card can never be reactivated again once it has been deactivated, so you will have to throw it away and the buyer (or yourself) will have to acquire a new sim for the old iPhone.

Alternatively, you can probably use your current sim in the new phone, but you will probably have to call AT&T as this can be a hassle. I could be wrong, but I believe the new sim in the new phone has been preassigned together; only activation online or by phone is required. Since this can be more trouble than it is worth, I'd just follow the activation for the new phone instead of trying to reassign sim to IMEI numbers; this is the safest way to "untie" your old phone from your current account.

-C

ngrimes-2010

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2010
perfect guys...

Thanks very much for the info. Purchased my new 32gb just now :)

Can't wait to relive launch day LOL :apple:

fastblack

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2008
I'm interested in how the early upgrade works. After 30 days can you buy a new phone for the early upgrade price?

Irish Rose

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

whocaresit said:
I would take it to the Apple Store and DEMAND a refund.

LOL, you can't get a refund "after" the 30 day return/exchange period is up. ;)

Runt888

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
Also, you're not technically past the return period because of the signal/bumper/open refund announcement.

It is 30 days from purchased date. If you got it on Launch or the day after you are past your 30 days.

Might I just suggest returning the current phone and purchasing a new 32gb model? Apple has said that they'll honor any returns without a restocking fee. I understand you'd like to make a couple bucks, but this just seems like the more hassle-free way to go about things.

So who is correct? I've heard that they extended the refund period to 60 days if you claim you're having signal issues, but I haven't seen anything officially from Apple.

Irish Rose

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Runt888 said:

So who is correct? I've heard that they extended the refund period to 60 days if you claim you're having signal issues, but I haven't seen anything officially from Apple.

Call Apple if you don't think my answer is right. You don't have 60 days, you only have 30 days to get a full refund, or do an exchange for a new device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.