Have a 2011 2GHz 15" MBP, is rMBP worth the upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by justausername, Jun 25, 2012.

  1. justausername macrumors newbie

    Sep 4, 2010
    I have an early 2011 2GHz 15" MBP, upgraded to 8GB RAM and 120GB SSD/500GB HDD. I'm pondering over getting the new high-end rMBP with the processor and RAM maxed out; I can get it on a slight concession with student discount which helps a bit. I'm very interested in the new display and quite a keen photographer and user of Photoshop, so is the upgrade worth it? All the reviews seem to suggest so, but was wondering the opinions of the wider community.

  2. MR.BUTTON macrumors member

    Apr 2, 2012
    Vancouver,Canada and Shanghai,China
    you have got rid of the optical drive and replace it with a SSD? that's is already the style of a RMBP. on my point of view, you don't have to buy another MBP. choose a MBA for university. if you really like the RMBP(like i do):D, then go for it. this new model is very nice, but it's not upgradable.
  3. IngerMan macrumors 65816


    Feb 21, 2011
    Sure I want one too :) And I have the same machine, Quad 2.0 8GB Ram and 256 SSD, 9800 on the 64 bit Geekbench score with the upgrades . But the reality is I don't need the upgrade for my machine is performing great. Want is one thing but the need scale is very very low. I hope to hold out for a few more revisions and maybe pick up a refurbished in 2014. That would make the most sense in my case.

    I also consider at that time when I do get a Retina in a few years the apps and web will be much farther ahead in the catch up game. That is not a show stopper for me and if I had a 2008-2009 version, I would be all in. But I don't and the 2011 Quad is still a fast capable machine.

    Hope that helps.
  4. stevelam macrumors 65816

    Nov 4, 2010
    actually, if you read the anandtech review, people who already have 2011 machines are not going to see much of a boost.

    "The logical thing to do, if you’re the owner of a recent (2010/2011) MacBook Pro, is to wait until next year at the minimum. Haswell should bring a significant performance increase (particularly on the processor graphics front) and you’ll get it in the same chassis as what you see today."

    seeing as photoshop for retina display won't be ready for a while, its not going to help you much.
  5. dailybibliotaph macrumors member

    Jun 23, 2012
    I also have an early 2011 2.0ghz 15-inch MBP with 8GB Ram. I didn't swap out the 500GB hard drive though so the speed bump from the rMBP SSD is quite noticeable. However, the reason why I bought it was the decrease in size and weight and the screen.

    Playing with the rMBP in a store for a couple of minutes isn't enough time for you to truly get a feel for how nice the retina screen is. The combination of viewing angle increase, how colors and objects seem "painted on the screen" and major reduction in glare is really a revolutionary jump from the previous MBPs or anything else out there. Secondly, although reviews are constantly comparing the rMBP's weight to a MBA, the real comparison should be with your 15-inch MBP. It's a big weight loss and the thinnest of the rMBP really does make the previous version seem very dated.

    As others have said, Adobe will update their CS products for the retina screen. Otherwise there's always Aperture but I doubt you'll want to migrate from Adobe just for that reason. I use Lightroom 3 and it works and looks fine. Sure the menus don't look as crisp as optimized apps but the pictures themselves look outstanding.
  6. kimovski macrumors regular

    Mar 22, 2011
    Recently i sold the mine early 11 2.0 with 128ssd+500hhd. Then i ordered the base rmbp with 16gb ram. I feel that i need a boost in terms of graphics since the hd6490m only give 256mb vram, i think is worth for upgrade.

    If i had a 2011 high end with 6750m or 6770m i would simply stay with and wait for the release of 2013/14. I been playing for a while the rmbp on store, i really like the machine, very thin and light :D

    Glad i'm ordered and now wait patienly waiting (around 4 weeks).
  7. justausername thread starter macrumors newbie

    Sep 4, 2010
    Thanks for the replies guys.

    As I'm rocking the same configuration as you, any chance you could enlighten me as to how much I could potentially get for mine if you don't mind me asking? :)

    Have to say, I'm being swayed towards it now because of the reduced weight... after lumbering this hulk of a device to/from London for the past 9 months I think I'd appreciate the drop in weight! Definitely need a think about it before I drop what is nearing $4,000 USD on a laptop!
  8. InlawBiker macrumors 6502

    Apr 6, 2007
    I would say, a modern MBP 2.0 quad-core is still a very capable machine. The upgrade to the rMBP would be nice for the screen but would give you a barely noticeable improvement in actual use.

    Is it "worth it" can only be answered by the guy spending the money. In my book the answer is: no way.
  9. magbarn macrumors 68000

    Oct 25, 2008
    Unless you really need the screen, I'd just wait. If the current trends of mbp depreciation stay constant, the first year is always the worst. For example, the arrandale 2010 are only fetching a few hundred less than the 2011 are. Unless you're gaming, the performance difference between the 6490 and 6770 really isn't that great. You already have a decent sandy bridge quad and a ssd so the general performance difference isn't going to be that great.
  10. justausername thread starter macrumors newbie

    Sep 4, 2010
    ..forgot to mention that the dual Thunderbolt is one of the other little things that's tempted me, my main stream of work at the moment is blogging and so I'm running various keyword and browser sessions alongside work, so dual screen from a notebook would be amazing!
  11. photosaurus macrumors regular

    Jun 22, 2012
    If I were you, I'd just resign myself to being a bit annoyed that I bought last year as apposed to this year, and keep on truck'n with my 2011 MBP.

    If you've got money coming out your ears, on the other hand... buy the top of the line Retina for power portability, a top of the line air for surfing on the go, a 16 core mac pro for the hell of it, and a couple of thunderbolt displays just for kicks... and while your at, get me a set as well! :D

Share This Page