Have a problem with your iPhone? Do NOT show a Genius your gun....

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Slip Jigs macrumors 6502a

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

You could call it that....

3. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

a.k.a. "Assault"

4. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

showing someone you have a gun is assault?

He should have shot his iPhone before he got to the store, then taken it to the Genius Bar to figure out why it wasn't working.

5. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

now that would be funny trying how that happened? and how its still covered by warranty.

6. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I've always thought legally aquiring a CCW permit is a lot easier than it should be. This clown is a perfect example of why. It gives all of us a bad image.

Unfortunately, aside from the criminal background check there really isn't much more that can be done. Being denied the right to carry because a few people said you're a irresponsible dip**** would probably seem unfair to many. :rolleyes:

7. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Hardly. :rolleyes:

It's called brandishing, not assault.
    He will lose his CCW permit for this idiotic act.

He was also on private property where firearms were prohibited.
    While that is not an illegal act, it will most likely get him banned from the property in the future.
    A CCW permit does not grant you the right to carry any place you want to.

8. MasterDev macrumors 65816

9. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Depends on what state you get your permit from.
    Here in AZ, on top of the criminal background checks, you are required to take proper firearms training classes (8 hours total) by a certified instructor and PASS the subsequent test on the class before a permit is issued.
    The classes cover every aspect of what it means to carry and you have to prove that you can actually use your weapon properly. Fumbling idiots will never pass this part of the test.

10. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

The same laws apply here in VA. However, my room mates and I hired a certified instructor to come to our home where we hosted nine other people and I'll tell you that an infant monkey could have qualified. There was no written test and the range portion was even easier. Demonstrating proper form while shooting one and two handed doesn't take intelligence or street smarts.

I qualified for my CCW because I was a rifleman in the Marine Corps for four years and had it for almost two years before taking this course so I don't feel like I have much to worry about but believe me when I say that anybody who hasn't been caught doing something illegal and can follow simple instructions can get a permit. In my opinion, the local government has the attitude of "you're applying and haven't been proven a criminal, so we'll trust you".

11. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

12. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

What's the point in being able to harry a hidden gun if as soon as you threaten to use it, the police are called. That's no fun. You might as well have a banana under your jacket.

13. vivithemage macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

A gun is not meant to be shown around like a toy.

14. army91c macrumors 6502a

+1

The point of concealed carry is just that, concealed. I have my CCW here in Colorado and you will NEVER know I have a weapon on my person unless I am pulling it to use it to protect my or another persons' life. Boneheads like this guy deserve to lose their CCW and be charged to the fullest extent of the law.
    I do encourage any one that is able and feels comfortable to get their CCW... The life you save might just be your own.

15. vivithemage macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

Exactly army91c, I don't even have my CCW yet!

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

That guy is a complete idiot. I'm glad no one was hurt.

17. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

WOW. I hope he gets his CCW permit taken away for this. That is just dumb, probably some stupid hick thinking hes boss trying to be funny not knowing whats socially acceptable these days. Might as well scream bomb in an airport....

18. Jumpie macrumors 6502a

Jumpie

19. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

You get to have instruction at home?
    In AZ you have to go to a certified shooting range.
    A written test and a range test are required.

The following are course requirements for getting a CCW in AZ: (This does not include all the age and background checks)

Firearm Safety
    Range Qualifications
    Personal Protection
    Types of Handguns
    Ballistics
    Judgmental Shooting
    Mental Conditioning
    Arizona Firearm Laws
    Review New Case Laws
    Current Legislation
    Interfacing with Law Enforcement
    Justification - Use of Deadly Force
    Fundamentals of Pistol Marksmanship

20. fishmoose macrumors 68000

So when do we get an app to simulate this? Genius Gun it should be called.

21. EarthDawn macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

Absolutly ... What Nut !

22. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

The Genius should've told the guy:

"Sir, I think you're looking for the Saltpeter Bar... it's at, uh... one sec... <gives address of the nearest gun shop>"

:D

Reminds me of the time I saw, many years ago, an extremely frustrated but now satisfied customer bring in his hard drive with a nice, neat bullet hole in it (which went through cleanly at a diagonal angle). Said it was spewing all sorts of crap for a while; one day he got tired of it and impulsively shot it in a fit of rage. When he cooled down, he suddenly realized that perhaps it might be a good idea to try and get data off it. That's when he brought it in. :D

23. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Being from the UK, I cant even begin to understand why anyone would want a gun?

I think its rediculas, stupid, and people who watch too many hollywood movies dont take the fact they have a gun in their hands seriously enough.

Anyhow, thats a conversation for another part of the forum I think :)

But yeah, hope at the very least he gets his gun taken from him....

But then he'll go into the hood and fall in with a bad crowd... and he'll get a gun illeagally.... and even when his new maths teacher, who has been warned that most of the kids in his class will end up dead or in jail, has a serious talk with him.... its too late, and a rival gang alreally out to kill him..... and if his grades dont improve he cant play for the basketball team... which is a shame because thats his one tallent... but he's too bothered about looking hard infront of his gang members..... and the week before a coach from a posh college comes to watch him play.... he's out walking in the street, on the way to tell a girl he got pregnant, that he's gonna leave the gang and focus on getting into college, but he gets killed in a drive by....
    and the moral is, you know, do well at school or something....

Maybe ive been watching too many american movies.... but im pretty sure thats exactly what happens to people like him.... :D

24. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

There are literally MILLIONS of gun owners in the USA who are normal, law abiding citizens. We are responsible adults who know that with this right comes the responsibility to posses and use our firearms in a safe manner.
    Movies are meant to entertain, not to be an example to live ones life by.

Approx. 29,000 gun related deaths were reported last year in the US of which approx 50% were suicides.
    Compare that number to 1999 where there were approx 28,000.
    Given that the population increased by roughly 33 million (272 million in 1999 vs 305 million in 2009), gun related deaths as a percentage of the population have gone down.

Compare that to 80,000 alcohol related deaths or the 400,000+ that died last year in car accidents.
    Booze and cars should be outlawed before the guns. ;)

But I agree.. another conversation for another time.