Have a question about taking a AT&T iPhone 7+ abroad, also question on AT&T iPad & iTunes purchases

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JUCJ85, May 27, 2017.

1. JUCJ85 macrumors regular

JUCJ85

Hi, so I have a AT&T iPhone 7+, AT&T iPad Pro, and also several iTunes purchases, I didn't want to make 3 different threads, so I hope this is ok, I'm not sure where the best place would be.

So I'm in a dilema where I may need to move from the US to Canada, I'd give the reason but I don't want to get heat, or get this into some sort of other discussion, so I'd rather not disclose it, but if people want to know I will, as long as I don't get backlash for the reasoning.

Anyway, If I were to pay off my AT&T iPhone and iPad, plus Bill, can I get them unlocked and take them to Canada and sign up with a Provider over there? I've tried talking to AT&T, but they think I mean just visiting, and they can't seem to get the right idea.

Also I have a ton of purchases through the iTunes store, TV Shows, Movies, Apps, Books, Apple Music, etc.... How would that work if I went from US to Canada, would I need to backup all my US purchases so if I ever wanted to use them, I could just put them on my computer. I know this is crazy to ask, but does Apple do anything like transfer purchases from one country to another.

Thanks to anyone who can provide any answers.

2. fartnugget213 macrumors member

In the case of the AT&T locked devices, I would imagine that once you unlock the phones, they are - unlocked - with no fuss or mess.

In the past I have unlocked 2 AT&T branded devices and taken them over to T-Mobile without issue, so I do not see an issue as long as it is compatible with canadian bands/networks. (For reference, they have also roamed on Canada's Rogers network with no issue.)

Regarding iTunes, contact apple support livechat or through the phone, they can give you an answer immediately as well as the steps to go about it. I'm sure it is no big deal for them.

3. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Once you pay off your bills, ATT will unlock your devices and you can then get service on any of Canada's GSM carriers.

You can continue using your US iTunes account and/or get a new account in the Canada store. It won't affect your period purchases.

4. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Unless you keep a US credit card and US billing address (or have someone ship you US iTunes cards), you won't be able to continue making purchases with your US account.

For future purchases you should start a new Canadian account.

For you previously purchased apps and content, you will still be able to access (or redownload) them by logging in to your old US account momentarily.

Talk to Apple to see if they could transfer your account to a different country.

5. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

6. JUCJ85 thread starter macrumors regular

JUCJ85

Thanks to everyone who answered so quickly, not a definite, just a backup plan for now. I don't want to leave, but it would be something I'd have to do.

7. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

A little late for draft dodging. ;)