Have a smoking 2011 17" but the rMBP is toying with me...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cflem, Mar 8, 2013.

  1. cflem macrumors member

    cflem

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2011
    Location:
    Texas
    #1
    Just want to know your experiences - I have the 2011 17" 2.2 with a 512gb SSD and 16gb RAM... but the rMBP is begging me to buy... I just love this 17" though... Would I be crazy to switch with the configuration I have? I guess I am saying talk me in to or talk me out of it.

    :)
     
  2. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #2
    You're model is so close spec why to the rMBP you'll only see a modest increase in performance and you'll lose screen real estate.

    I'd say if you're really tempted for a retina MBP, then wait until Haswell is released later this year that way you'll get more bang for your buck, i.e., the laptop will be much faster then your 2011 model.
     
  3. jdiamond macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2008
    #3
    I'd have to agree....

    I've been using 17" MBPs from the beginning, and I've been agonizing over how long will I buy used 17" MBPs vs the retina macbook Pros. I've been a resolution fiend from the beginning - I had 1600x1200 resolution on a 2001 ThinkPad. But when I try the rMBP in 1920 mode (and I REALLY WANTED to like it), it's actually worse - the interpolation makes things blurry, compounded by the smaller screen. And 1,440 mode is just too cramped for me.

    The only caveat is since I don't own a rMBP, I've never been able to try it in native 2,880 resolution using those 3rd party tweaks. Although physically small, that might actually be clearer and cause less eye strain than 1,920 mode...
     
  4. nigameash macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2008
    Location:
    Space: The Final Frontier
    #4
    I agree with the above two posters. Keep your 17" or at least wait for a new revision of the rmbp before you give up your 17". 1440*900 native res as default retina resolution is hardly worth giving up real estate on your 17"
     
  5. glenthompson macrumors 68000

    glenthompson

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2011
    Location:
    Virginia
    #5
    I went from an older 17" (late 2007) to a 15" (late 2011). While there are times I miss the screen real estate, I like the size and weight of the 15" better. Performance is also greatly improved with lots more memory and the i7.

    You're not going to see that much of a speed bump since you're already close to the specs of the rMBP. If the size and weight of the 17" isn't an issue then stick with it until you see where things go.
     
  6. designs216 macrumors 65816

    designs216

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2009
    Location:
    Down the rabbit hole
    #6
    +1 Don't yield. You've got a great 2YO machine and the retina is hard to justify for most users.
     
  7. cflem thread starter macrumors member

    cflem

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2011
    Location:
    Texas
    #7
    Thanks everyone... :)

    I will stick with her a while longer - you guys were saying what i was thinking.
     
  8. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

    Yebubbleman

    Joined:
    May 20, 2010
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    #8
    One thing I'd add, and this is something you'll want to consider each time you get the inkling to replace your 2011 17" MacBook Pro with a retina 15", is that while software that is optimized for retina looks fantastic, software that isn't doesn't. So for those that only use apps that just happen to be optimized for it, will have a stunning experience, but unfortunately, it's just not there for every currently shipping app (let alone discontinued apps). As with all of Apple's Mac software transitions (i.e. from OS 9 to OS X, from PowerPC to Intel) it takes a great deal of time for developers to make the jump. But eventually, every Mac product with a display will have a retina display and all Mac software will be retina-optimized just as all Mac software today is made for Intel.
     
  9. r0k macrumors 68040

    r0k

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2008
    Location:
    Detroit
    #9
    I have the late 2011 15 in "hires" MBP and I love it. I also have a 1080p monitor sitting on the desk next to it (using a displayport to vga adapter in the thunderbolt port). I have two FW drives and nothing plugged in to USB.

    For me to consider the rMBP, I'd have to have thunderbolt peripherals readily available at competitive prices (to USB, FW and displayport peripheral prices). It's going to be quite a while before that happens.

    I went to the Apple store a few days after rMBP came out and I got one of the geniuses to log in so I could install that 3rd party resolution switcher. I then played around with the display and found that it went to an insanely high native resolution. I seem to remember it was something like 3,000 x 4,000 but a terminal window became about half the size of a business card. Not terribly useful. If you plan on running the display in "best for retina" which is 1440 x 900 for everything but retina-aware apps, a rMBP is not a great value. Yet.
     
  10. temen macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2011
    #10
    Hi,
    I hope it's nothing against rules to add similar question in someone topic..?

    My question exactly! Well, almost exactly.
    My reasons to buy a retina, apart of the fact is brand new, nice, new and shiny ;)
    1. More displays outputs - in 2011 to connect 2 displays I have to use thunderbolt displays. In retina - I can pick whatever displays I want.
    2. I have early 2011 17'' macbook without ssd. So ssd is a big bonus for me.

    From the other hand, waiting for Haswell sounds reasonable. If I'd wait for Haswell, buying now ssd drive makes no sense.

    I guess in my case you'd say wait for next generation as well?
     
  11. xShane macrumors 6502a

    xShane

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2012
    Location:
    United States
    #11
    Sounds like you don't need it, so don't buy it.
     
  12. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

    iAppl3Fan

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2011
    #12
    Life's too short to be waiting for the next thing. Sell yours and pay the difference for the upgrade.
     
  13. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

    swerve147

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2013
    #13
    This is the one instance I would recommend to wait for Skylake :p
     

Share This Page