have an avi file wanna play in imovie (MPEG4 (H.264) in AVI wrapper)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rbby228, Feb 17, 2009.

1. rbby228 macrumors newbie

hey guys im new to the forums and i have both imovie 08 and imovie HD 6 i have an avi file which is a MPEG4 (H.264) in AVI wrapper i have perian and xvid installed i would like to use it in imovie 08 but if i need to ill use imovie HD 6, when i play it in quicktime and imovie HD 6 i get sound but no visual while imovie 08 doesnt even recognize it thanks for the help in advance:apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

In the future, please use punctuation. If it is not too much trouble, you might also throw in some capitalization.

Now for your current issue--apparently you don't have the audio codec used by your video. What does the QuickTime Player tell you about the audio track of this file.

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The OP said that they get sound but no visual. To me this implies that the needed video codec is missing, not the audio codec...

4. rbby228 thread starter macrumors newbie

:eek: Sorry about the punctuation and capitalization. It was starting to seriously annoy me and, I wanted a quick answer. And quicktime will play it but I only get audio and no visual no error message pops up.

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Open up the movie in QuickTime Player (you don't have to play it). Examine its properties (I believe the command is Apple+I). What does it tell you about the video track? This information will help us find the missing codec you need.

6. rbby228 thread starter macrumors newbie

format: H.264 (perian), 1280 x 720 millions microsoft ADCPM, mono, 22.050 kHz
    fps: 30
    data size: 15.78 mb
    normal size 1280 x 720 pixlels
    data rate: 4240.83 kbits/s
    there were some other stuff but i though they seemed to me that they didnt matter like current size(in pixels), duration, current time, source, and playing fps

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Sounds like it's MS-MPEG4. To play these properly you'll need both Perian and Flip4Mac WMV Player installed.

8. rbby228 thread starter macrumors newbie

the thing is i have divx, perian, AND flip for mac already installed maybe i have a setting turned off??