Have an upgrade to burn, but happy with my 5...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Becact, Sep 15, 2013.

  1. Becact macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2013
    #1
    Hi folks, first post here in the forums :)

    We are on a family plan that is also a business account. No one else in the family cares enough about tech to pay to upgrade a perfectly working phone, so luckily for me, I get an upgrade every year. Although, someone else did just get an iphone 5 a few months ago, but we still have another upgrade ready to go currently. I've asked, no one else wants it.

    I have an iphone 5 in 64gb that I am honestly perfectly happy with (except it's too much storage for me, I'd get 32 next time). I have a trade offer from nextworth for $451, so if I get a 32gb 5s, I'll be able to pocket about $125, or maybe $175 if I sell on Craigslist (after retail taxes on the 5s).

    However, I was also thinking of another option: getting the 5s and flipping it. I figure I could probably sell it at retail price, and someone would bite due to the lack of taxes, which saves them $50. That nets me a little under $450. Worst case, $400 if I have to sell $50 under msrp. This applies to any storage level.

    If I do nothing I'm leaving money on the table. AT&T is offering to spend money, so there's no sense in waiting to use the update till iphone 6, since we'll have another by then anyway.

    What would you do? Keep iphone 5 and pocket $400, or get 5s and pocket $150? :)
     
  2. iAlphard macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2012
    #2
    Think it for a second, does this thing will matter next year? Do you have any other priority that require money in near future?
    If not and you have the chance to do so, i think i can agree you should just upgrade to 5S so later you can sell for more when the 6 is out.
     
  3. swish2351 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 28, 2010
    Location:
    Michigan
    #3
    I'd go with the 5s, the fingerprint sensor is going to be great
     
  4. user-name-here macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2013
    #4
    5s + $150
     
  5. abz1981 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2011
    #5
    If you don't upgrade does your carrier give you some sort of discount on your price plan? If they do and your happy with your 5, stick with the 5 and get a discount on your price plan/tariff with your carrier and use that money you save on other items.
     
  6. ant1298 macrumors 6502

    ant1298

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2011
    #6
    If the 5s upgrade features aren't exciting you then I'd pocket the 400. Otherwise for the 100.

    Anthony
     
  7. zbarvian macrumors 68010

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2011
    #7
    Either way you're a real winner. However, if it were me I would flip the 5S. I'm running the GM on my iPhone 5 and I can't imagine it running any better on the 5S. Unless you're an avid photographer or security nut, the 5 will be more than adequate until the 6.
     
  8. J4B3 macrumors regular

    J4B3

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2012
    Location:
    Gamma Quadrant
    #8
    Similar predicament

    I'm in a very similar situation and I hope it's okay to piggyback this thread--any advice is appreciated.

    I have an upgrade available on AT&T and currently use an iPhone 5. I bought it unlocked last year (with Applecare +) and have been running iOS 7 on it for the past few months. I feel perfectly happy with my 5 and don't necessarily have a strong desire to upgrade. I will be 100% upgrading to the iPhone 6 when that arrives so it would be nice to have an available upgrade (without jumping through any hoops). However, if I wait it out, it bugs me to death that I am basically giving AT&T money (est $23) every month for nothing.

    My options are: Switch to T-Mobile and save money (service in my area is a 6/10 vs 9/10 with AT&T). Upgrade to the 5S and handle the 6 upgrade when the time comes. Or, sell the 5S and pocket the difference. Thanks all!
     
  9. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

    Shockwave78

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2010
    #9

    uh...sell your 5 for about $400, pay the $250 extra for the full retail price 5s and save your upgrade...

    Then next year sell the 5s for $400 and upgrade for $200 and bank $200...
     
  10. g35 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2007
    #10
    Flip the 5S! As long as you're sure you'll have an upgrade next year for the 6.
     
  11. thecurryman macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2012
    #11
    def flip the 5s. Last year, a WEEK after the 5 released, i was able to sell an unopened 16gb black iphone 5 for $810 (paid $199 for it) and profited $600....
     

Share This Page