Have an upgrade to burn, but happy with my 5...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Becact, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Becact macrumors member

Hi folks, first post here in the forums :)

We are on a family plan that is also a business account. No one else in the family cares enough about tech to pay to upgrade a perfectly working phone, so luckily for me, I get an upgrade every year. Although, someone else did just get an iphone 5 a few months ago, but we still have another upgrade ready to go currently. I've asked, no one else wants it.

I have an iphone 5 in 64gb that I am honestly perfectly happy with (except it's too much storage for me, I'd get 32 next time). I have a trade offer from nextworth for $451, so if I get a 32gb 5s, I'll be able to pocket about $125, or maybe $175 if I sell on Craigslist (after retail taxes on the 5s).

However, I was also thinking of another option: getting the 5s and flipping it. I figure I could probably sell it at retail price, and someone would bite due to the lack of taxes, which saves them $50. That nets me a little under $450. Worst case, $400 if I have to sell $50 under msrp. This applies to any storage level.

If I do nothing I'm leaving money on the table. AT&T is offering to spend money, so there's no sense in waiting to use the update till iphone 6, since we'll have another by then anyway.

What would you do? Keep iphone 5 and pocket $400, or get 5s and pocket $150? :)

2. iAlphard macrumors regular

Think it for a second, does this thing will matter next year? Do you have any other priority that require money in near future?
    If not and you have the chance to do so, i think i can agree you should just upgrade to 5S so later you can sell for more when the 6 is out.

3. swish2351 macrumors 6502

I'd go with the 5s, the fingerprint sensor is going to be great

4. user-name-here macrumors 65816

5s + $150

5. abz1981 macrumors 65816

If you don't upgrade does your carrier give you some sort of discount on your price plan? If they do and your happy with your 5, stick with the 5 and get a discount on your price plan/tariff with your carrier and use that money you save on other items.

6. ant1298 macrumors 6502

ant1298

If the 5s upgrade features aren't exciting you then I'd pocket the 400. Otherwise for the 100.

Anthony

7. zbarvian macrumors 68010

Either way you're a real winner. However, if it were me I would flip the 5S. I'm running the GM on my iPhone 5 and I can't imagine it running any better on the 5S. Unless you're an avid photographer or security nut, the 5 will be more than adequate until the 6.

8. J4B3 macrumors regular

J4B3

Similar predicament

I'm in a very similar situation and I hope it's okay to piggyback this thread--any advice is appreciated.

I have an upgrade available on AT&T and currently use an iPhone 5. I bought it unlocked last year (with Applecare +) and have been running iOS 7 on it for the past few months. I feel perfectly happy with my 5 and don't necessarily have a strong desire to upgrade. I will be 100% upgrading to the iPhone 6 when that arrives so it would be nice to have an available upgrade (without jumping through any hoops). However, if I wait it out, it bugs me to death that I am basically giving AT&T money (est $23) every month for nothing.

My options are: Switch to T-Mobile and save money (service in my area is a 6/10 vs 9/10 with AT&T). Upgrade to the 5S and handle the 6 upgrade when the time comes. Or, sell the 5S and pocket the difference. Thanks all!

9. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

uh...sell your 5 for about $400, pay the $250 extra for the full retail price 5s and save your upgrade...

Then next year sell the 5s for $400 and upgrade for $200 and bank $200...

10. g35 macrumors 6502a

Flip the 5S! As long as you're sure you'll have an upgrade next year for the 6.

11. thecurryman macrumors 6502

def flip the 5s. Last year, a WEEK after the 5 released, i was able to sell an unopened 16gb black iphone 5 for $810 (paid $199 for it) and profited $600....