Have any of the front facing camera claims been actual leaks?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mjmar, May 31, 2009.

1. Mjmar macrumors 65816

It seems like there's never been an actual rumor about a front facing camera being on the new iPhone... It just gets a lot of attention here on these forums because people want it. Or am I wrong and there has been an actual rumor about it?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

No. No leaks.

People just want it for whatever nonsensical reason.

3. hefeglass macrumors 6502a

people have made assumptions...based on the bezel picture that was leaked..

although that bezel wasnt technically a leak...it was something for sale on chinaontrade.com...maybe not even a real iphone part.

everyone is hoping for the front camera....but since ATT is in charge...its doubtful...
    maybe theyll do it for the rest of the world that could actually use it..

4. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I don't think many people actually do video calls on their phones but that's me.

5. Doju macrumors 68000

Just because you lack friends to video chat with doesn't mean we don't.

6. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

Well I guess you and your friends have enough time to video chat while the rest of us accomplish things with our lives. Texting and regular, quick, telephones calls will have to do.

7. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Hahaha...

No but really it'd be nice. It would be no less useful than the iSight on all the Macs these days.

8. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

There are a few reasons that people think a front facing camera is coming to the 2009 iPhone.

1. More smartphones are appearing with front facing cameras (worldwide, not so much U.S.).

2. Some people believe this patent is referring to a front facing camera.

[​IMG]

#180 shows a centered round element. The description for #180 reads, "The mobile device 100 can also include a camera lens and sensor 180. In some implementations, the camera lens and sensor 180 can be located on the back surface of the mobile device 100. The camera can capture still images and/or video."

This underlined sentence indicates that the actual image may be referring to a front facing camera.

3. They just really, really want it.

9. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Same. I had a phone that could videochat before my iPhone and I never touched it. There's some free allowance of video calls on my current plan that's never been used either.

Tbh I can't think of much of a point for the average user unless it's something dirty.:rolleyes: It's not like walking along holding the phone in front of your face is all that convenient.

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Good luck accepting any video call in a place that a computer would not be accessible for videoconferencing.

Subway, while driving, at a restaurant...

11. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Front facing camera?

How the H**l will you see what you're taking a pic of?

Sounds reflicted.

12. aethelbert macrumors 601

Yes. Last year, Apple leaked a grease spot on the phone's screen which many understood to be a camera. So it must be coming.

13. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Nono, we're talking about an additional camera on the phone. So there would be one on the back still and one on the front.

;)

That's pretty much the same as saying "good luck accepting a text message in a place that a computer would not be accessible for instant messaging."

It'd be nice for taking self portraits too. This is the result of trying to take a pic with a friend today. Doesn't work so well.

Attached Files:

14. omerbaker macrumors member

I think "video conferencing" would be awesome. I've got a wife and a very young daughter that I would love to see during the day while I'm at work, from her phone to mine.

15. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Wow, compensating much?

I could see video chat being handy. I have a friend working in China and it would be cool to video chat with her occasionally when I'm not near my computer. The time difference means we're rarely near our computers at the same time - having a camera on my phone might help to remedy that.

16. MacFly123 macrumors 68020

Don't forget the patent that talks about actually putting the camera in the screen itself so that you can video chat and look at each other eye to eye. That was a BIG piece of evidence.

17. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

I have a feeling it's going to happen. It's only natural for Apple to finally improve not only the horrible camera, but to expand and make up for all those noisy, blurry pictures.

18. spikedfo macrumors regular

19. iGeRmAn macrumors regular

Someone posted it already. Forget about the iChat-function for a minute.

It would not be too bad for making a self portrait or shooting a short video of yourself and being able to send it via MMS...

20. tommy8884 macrumors member

I'm guessing this is a joke? Or are there really no phones with video calling where you come from. It's pretty hard to find a phone without it here in the uk, unless you pop onto the apple shop. There would be 2 cameras. One on the back as normal, one front facing for video calls. Most phones with this also have a software based switch to select which camera to use for stills or video recording.
    It's also worth noting that most call plans include an allocation of video calling minutes.

21. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68020

ThunderSkunk

I heard that soon, computers will be able to transmit pictures. How ridiculous. Who on earth would possibly need to see anything? That's what the english language is for. DESCRIBING THINGS!!! Fools!

22. The Banished macrumors newbie

Did someone say 1984 :eek:

23. MacFly123 macrumors 68020

What are you referring to? I am talking about a patent in the last couple years that talked about actually putting image sensors in the liquid crystal to have the camera in the actual display of the iPhone for iChat.

24. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The book? In which three authoritarian states rule the entire world and one of them (at least) uses telescreens to monitor every second of every day of every individual in the Party. The screen is two-way, as is the audio.

You need to read it. Everyone needs to read 1984.

25. newyorksole macrumors 68020

the front camera will NOT be on the new iPhone, I don't know why people keep thinking that. we won't see a front camera until atleast 2011. this is Apple we are talking about.