Have any of you guys swapped out optical drive for HDD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheGreenBastard, Jun 20, 2013.

1. TheGreenBastard macrumors 6502

TheGreenBastard

I have a 13" MBP 2011 with a 128 GB SSD but I'm starting to run low on space, and I don't want to keep plugging in external HDD to put stuff on every night.

Have any of you guys swapped out the superdrive for an HDD (probably SSD?), particularly this exact model?

I read somewhere that you must purchase a holder for the drive, which is quite expensive. Any DIY alternatives for cheap asses like me?:p

2. dsio macrumors regular

I have the same model MBP and I used a Samsung Spinpoint M8 1TB disk in mine, has been going on strong for a long time now. One point to keep in mind is the cheapo $25 optibay clones are slightly longer than the HDD is and often don't have screws to hold it, so it can slip out. I use the folded up lid of a packet of cigarettes to hold the disk in firmly, as it happens to be the perfect size.

3. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

I guess you've been living under a rock...or haven't been on here, or searched, for a while. ;) There are TONS of threads and information on doing this very thing, a search for "optibay" will probably turn up the most results since that's how most folks refer to it.

As for being "quite expensive"...the optibay caddys can be had for less than $20 online. :)

4. paul-n macrumors regular

Using a caddy offers the option to extend storage. If you need a optical just buy a external one. The cheapest caddies can be found on ebay.

5. TheGreenBastard thread starter macrumors 6502

TheGreenBastard

Yeah, it had been a while since I heard or searched anything relating to it. Last time I checked there were only one of two options and they charged over $50.

Anyway, did a quick search on ebay and found the cheapest one. This should work, right?
    http://www.ebay.ca/itm/for-Universa..._Drive_Bay_Caddies&hash=item4604a9ed8b&_uhb=1

6. theluggage macrumors 68030

Not really expensive - more like $10-$20. For $60 you can get this everything-you-need kit which includes instructions, the holder, an external USB enclosure for your old optical drive, a tiny USB-to-SATA adapter to copy your old drive to your new drive before you install it and a pair of (cheap but serviceable) screwdrivers. Did the job for me - only criticism is the external optical drive caddy was very tricky to clip together and didn't feel like it was going to unclip again anytime soon...

One thing to check is to google around to see if your model Mac Pro supports SATA 3 in the optical bay. If not, its best to put a fast SATA 3 SSD in place of the original drive, and a big, slow HD in the optical bay.

7. TheGreenBastard thread starter macrumors 6502

TheGreenBastard

My main drive is an SSD. I just want the slower HD in the optical bay for storage. I'm looking into using a 2 TB 2.5" drive out of an external.