Have any of you made the switch from Imac to rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by IGregory, Aug 8, 2012.

1. IGregory macrumors 6502a

IGregory

I am in a dilemma on whether to wait for the Imac or purchase the rMBP instead. The Imac wait is killing me. I've never been this indecisive in my life. If you have made the switch, are you satisfied or happy with the rMBP?

2. ANTONkoolaid macrumors member

I was with you in waiting forever for the iMac. Through WWDC, through the ML launch, all the rumors. Pulled the trigger on a 2.3/16/256 rMBP a few weeks ago and couldn't have been happier. I know a lot of negative opinions pop up on these forums (I even have some WiFi problems), but all in all this is literally the best computer I've ever owned.

On a side note - I do a lot of photo work through Lightroom/Photoshop and audio production in Logic and I really don't imagine myself needing any more processor speed than this. Pair that with a 1 TB portable external HD and really the only thing the iMac has on the rMBP is 12 inches of screen real estate. Even so, any other monitor, any size I look at looks like garbage compared to the retina display. Still missing it? Get an external monitor.

To summarize - stop waiting and get the rMBP. It is more than fast enough for 98% of users and the display and thinness are excellent.

3. stevelam macrumors 65816

are you actually using non-retina photoshop/logic on the 15" screen? why would you do that to yourself?

4. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

i have the MBPR.. and the only thing i can imagine using my 2011 iMac for is as an external display..

The Retina is the best computer i've ever had.. 768GB internal SSD + a 2TB usb 3.0 external .. and i have my mobile office with me everywhere i go! it's performing really good in editing videos, photos, hell i'm even greatly surprised by how well gaming performs, now i don't have to carry my i5-2500k + 560 TI rig around to my friends' houses anymore !

i don't understand the hard decision between a desktop and a laptop.. you should know yourself and your work habits enough to determine wether or not you need a mobile setup or a desktop setup.

i can imagine the specs will be somewhat similar, where as the iMac will get availability for 32GB ram and a lot more internal storage as well.

5. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

I've made the switch from iMac to rMBP, but only because I need portability for the next couple of years while I'm at university.

I am very very very happy with the rMBP, it's an amazing computer, and is hugely powerful.

Given the choice though, I'd always choose a desktop over a laptop, and just use an iPad or similar for mobile computing, but that's just me.

Also of note is the fact that iMacs are far cheaper than MacBook Pros.

If I were you, I'd wait for the iMac refresh and buy that. Who knows, they may even be retina too!

6. ANTONkoolaid macrumors member

Are you?

All of you ridiculous people complaining about how AWFUL everything "non-retina" looks are starting to really annoy me. Yes, there are some elements that are not optimized for rMBP, however, they are no worse than you would have if you were working on a non-retina display. And yes, I have compared side to side.

Not to mention these are temporary issues for a computer you are likely to have 3-4 years.

Get over it.

7. appletechpro macrumors regular

I bought a base rMBP instead and I am very satisfied with my decision. I was waiting on an iMac for a secondary machine, but when ML came out with no machine, I decided to spring for current tech. instead of the 2011 iMac. Since the resolution is so high on the rMBP, I haven't lost any pixels as a result. The screen is very beautiful too.

8. IGregory thread starter macrumors 6502a

IGregory

Well, I am coming over to Mac from a desktop PC. I've always been a desktop man. On the PC side, except for gaming machines, the only way to get a high performance computer is with a BTO desktop. Macs (Imac & MBPs) are high performance machines when compared to its PC brethren.

I am going to purchase the 2.6/16/512 rMBP. With taxes, that is a $3,000, minimum three year commitment. I just want to be satisfied that when the new Imac is released I won't have buyer's remorse, wishing that I had waited. I keep thinking the new Imac will come in September, October the latest. The problem is there is no guarantee of that happening and I want a machine now; hence, the dilemma. The reason that I posted my query is to seek confirmation from others that I am making the right decision. My purchase will be for personal enjoyment not for work.

Thank you all. Your responses are helpful.