Have any of you purchased a cMBP and wanted to return it for a rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eccentricglow, Nov 10, 2013.

1. eccentricglow macrumors member

eccentricglow

Title says it all. I recently purchased a top of the line 2012 cMBP from the refurbished section and I'm having second thoughts about the purchase.

For 500-700 dollars more I can have the newest Haswell rMBP with the 1TB solid state drive and 16GB of ram. It would be nice to have 2TB of space with my 512GB SSD and the Toshiba 1.5TB drive from OWC installed, but I'm starting to think that utilizing my Synology NAS (712+) to take over the bulk of that file storage would be more efficient. I've also heard (and probably experienced) that having a second drive in the optical bay causes the battery life to be not as efficient? My 2010 cMBP has been modified since pretty much day one, so I wouldn't know much difference.

I guess what I'm looking for is stories from anyone else who's had this experience or anyone that has any advice for someone who's possibly transitioning from a modified cMBP to a rMBP.

2. eccentricglow thread starter macrumors member

eccentricglow

3. v654321 macrumors member

Sell your current cMBP and move to retina. But once you go retina, there's no going back.

4. eccentricglow thread starter macrumors member

eccentricglow

Bah, there were a lot more answers here, but the forum server went down. :(

Does anyone know where I can look for the differences in speed between Ivy Bridge and Haswell?

5. john123 macrumors 68000

john123

My beautiful answer got nuked!

The speed differences are pretty negligible. The 2.0 Haswell is a little faster than the 2.3-2.4ish Ivy Bridge, and the 2.3 Haswell is a little faster than the 2.6 Ivy Bridge. Xbench and Geekbench numbers corroborate that.

6. eccentricglow thread starter macrumors member

eccentricglow