Have any of you tried Endless Ocean for Wii?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by digitalnicotine, Feb 28, 2008.

1. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

I purchased this game recently, and played for a few hours so far. For those who may be considering it, I just wanted to let you know my thoughts.

The game has pretty good graphics, considering it's not HD. It's very laid back, and technically, fulfilling the missions is optional. You use the Wii mote in order to move your character, and the mote gestures are simple enough that a young child could do it without an adult helping them (although the missions require the ability to read).

As you move your character through the ocean on dives, you have the option of swimming about, and interacting with the wild life. These interactions involve petting the fish, and feeding them. Doing this rewards you with information about the species you are interacting with.

It's quite relaxing to just swim about, regardless of whether you choose to do the missions. The sound effects and scenery aid in this. I chose to do the missions at first, and got side tracked when I discovered other areas to explore. These areas turned out to be on a mission later in the game, so it was helpful to explore. The only constrictions are that you have a limited amount of oxygen, so you do have to surface occasionally, when the O2 meter indicates you are running low.

Overall, I think this is a good game for someone who is not interested in any pressure to complete missions. I suspect a lot of hard core gamers would find it pretty lame, unless they were using it simply to unwind. It's not likely to challenge anyones skills, but sometimes that can be a good thing? I think it may be a good game for young children, (or others), who get frustrated with the more challenging games. It may also interest those who like to learn about sea life, and enjoy things like National Geographic, and Animal Planet.

Hopefully this will help those who are considering purchasing the game. :)

2. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

HD is a distant 4th in what most people consider important. Contrast, color saturation and color accuracy are more important, so most really won't care. :)

Anyway, I was wondering about this game. Thanks. I didn't even know it was out. I don't consider myself a hardcore gammer -- they're generally kids that consider blood mature -- but I generally don't buy games like this.

Can you go anywhere in the world?

<]=)

3. digitalnicotine thread starter macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

I just checked for you, and here are the things I noted. As far as traveling the world, I'm not sure how extensive it is. I'm not sure if the diving locations are real, or invented for the game. When you dive, you are leaving a boat on which you've been hired to explore for various sponsors who contact you on the boat via email. As you progress in the missions, you gain control over steering the boat, and can change it's location. I am sorry that I don't know yet how extensively this feature is, as far as how far you can go, and if the locations are actual.

I wanted to add that you can connect via wi-fi and visit boats of friends who also have the game. You can board their vessel, and interact with them, although the 'chat' is limited to predesignated statements. Also, while diving, you can acquaint yourself with dolphins, and partner with them after you've interacted with them enough to unlock that feature. At that point, the dolphin will follow you on your dives, and you can teach them tricks.

When I ignored my mission and explored, the game let me know that I was leaving the designated area for the mission, but didn't stop me from continuing anyway. There is a compass that helps you stay focused, and getting back to the boat has been simplified, so getting lost isn't a worry. I haven't tried the friends over wi-fi feature, as nobody I know has this game yet. It sounds interesting, but the fact that the chat is limited isn't too appealing, but likely due to the fact that many probably haven't hooked a USB keyboard to their Wii yet? You have to enter your friends user codes, and pick them off a server in order to visit their vessel.

Also, there is a woman named Katherine on your boat, who gives you tips and acts a bit like a game tutorial. She doesn't dive with you, and remains on the boat. The only interaction with her that I recall was when she had a penguin with her, and I was able to interact (pet and feed) the penguin, resulting in information about the species. Hope this helped. :)

4. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

When I first heard of this game, I thought about how many discs they would need to cover the entire planet.

The game sounds kind of like Nintendogs, but with sea life. :) I was hooked on Nintendogs to the point I had to stop playing. I feel guilty about abandoning my puppies. :(

I've been looking for a little white keyboard for my Wii. My Mac keyboards are too big for it. :eek:

<]=)

5. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I've liked underwater games starting with Intellivisions, "Shark! Shark!".

I like "Ecco The Dolphin"...

I was thinking of picking this one up - nice game to unwind with... after an intense "Halo 3"... :D

6. digitalnicotine thread starter macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

Ah, yes. I think you'll enjoy it. BTW, love Stargate SG1! It's right up there with Firefly. :)

7. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

SG-1 :)

. Fun camp

. Camp

. Cheese

. Sappiness

. Fun Sappiness

Firefly. :eek:

I hated SG-1 when it was on Showtime, but decided to give it a chance on Sci-Fi and ended up really liking it. I've been hooked ever since.

<]=)

8. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Stargate, Firefly! Science Fiction at its finest....

Now we get stuck with the likes of "Flash Gordon" :eek: and "WCF Wrestling" :confused:

It's sort of like console gaming, XBox 360 vs RCA Studio IV... :p

9. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I like SG-1, because it's consistent, sometimes redundant, but still quite entertaining -- it's my favorite sci-fi show. Firefly, I like, but too MUCH SAPPINESS! :eek:

Flash Gordon is of vomit. If I were making it, It would be more retro in style, more camp, not filmed in Canada, and Bruce Campbell would be Flash. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!! :confused:

Haven't they finally replaced that horrid wrestling with Anime? Dam NBC for putting that crap on Sci-Fi, it was their doing from my understanding. :mad:

How dare you compare anything MS to RCA -- even if it's non-existent!!! :eek: That's like comparing soggy paper to brick and asking which is better to build a house with. :p

<]=)

10. digitalnicotine thread starter macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

LMAO!

Firefly probably seemed a bit sappy because it was more of a futuristic western than typical sci-fi. I was so irked when FOX cancelled it, and am still boycotting FOX, not that it's a difficult sacrifice hehe. ;)

11. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I've been boycotting Fox also, but because they canceled Futurama. :D

I watched it weekly on Fox, then on Sci-Fi, and the movie of course. But tooooooo much saappppppppppinessssssssssssss. I say that, but I will gladly watch the show whenever it's on. :)

I'm a fan of all the Clint westerns. Less sappiness, less talk, more Clint. :eek:

<]=)