Have any of your online accounts ever been hacked?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by themoonisdown09, Feb 2, 2010.

?

Have any of your online accounts ever been hacked?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. No

28 vote(s)
    77.8%
  3. I'm not sure

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Reading this thread in the Current Events forum got me thinking, "I wonder how many people on here have ever had an online account hacked?"

So, have you ever had an online account get hacked?

2. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Nope, never. I don't contribute it to strong passwords, but rather my boring life. I don't have anything that would be of any interest to hackers.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

No because I know how to use a proper password.

It's an insult to real, actual hackers who are some of the smartest guys in the world when it comes to computers to consider guessing someone's piss poor password as hacking.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

How would you even know? If someone just cracks your password and logs into your GMail account to poke around, there'd be virtually no obvious fingerprint.

6. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

Gmail logs all the IPs and times when the account is accessed...it's under "Last Account Activity + Details" on the bottom center of the page...

Cheers.

-J.-

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Ok, bad example. Most systems aren't that conscious about providing such information to the end user.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I was hacked years ago (2003 or so), this site had their own hand-made forums. I was an admin and someone hacked my account to spam the frontpage.

Oh and my email account was attacked by a hacker in 2002. But I needed a new email account so I just cut my losses.

9. codo macrumors 6502

Not that I know of.

I once had £40 of T-Mobile credit debited from my bank account despite never being on T-Mobile but the bank refunded it and said it was most likely someone had copied my card in a cash machine or something.

10. Queso macrumors G4

Nope, although I was the victim of a cheque fraud that saw me temporarily lose £1700. The bank gave it me back though.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you call leaving your computer logged into certain sites and your friends breaking into your room to do stuff, then the answer is yes.

Otherwise no… *knock on wood*

13. iLina macrumors member

14. samiwas macrumors 65816

UNless there's someting I'm missing, gmail only shows the last 5 access times. So if you have a notifier, a phone, and your desktop all running...that'll get chewed up pretty fast.

Someone got into my gmail recently and spammed my contact list with some crap about buying iPhones. Fortunately, most of the contacts on my web-based gmail are very old and few of them even exist any more. Those that DID get the email were various work client types from years back. Annoying.

I tried to check the account activity, but their access was off the list before I could get to it.

15. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

about 7-8 years ago my AOL screen name was hacked by a script kiddy. He could not access the password but he could reset all the information on it making it impossible for me to access it and kick people off line.

On a forum board I was on he screwed with several members accounts that way and we all had to make new screen names.

16. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

I've had a Visa and a MC card account that was hacked. Nothing from my end, all at the companies' server/database end. While they weren't sure the hackers got my actual numbers or not they sent out a letter about the breach and issued new cards.

17. AngryApple macrumors 6502

To my knowledge, no. Though I have guessed quite a few peoples' passwords on Yahoo.

18. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

No, its usually the people who use weak passwords, store their passwords on their computers, or are dumb enough to give their information away to anti-virus/website spoofs.

19. Kristenn macrumors 6502

I got hacked because my password was.. vagi.. never mind >.>

No but seriously. I have never been hacked. I don't know anyone who has but my passwords are at least sorta strong. I mean, when you sit at a computer attempting to log into someone elses website account or computer... when you get to the password part... wouldn't your brain go into overload at all possible passwords? I don't know how people can even think about doing that :eek:

20. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox