Have any owners of the new iPad used an iPad 2 after owning the new one?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jacoblee23, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Jacoblee23 macrumors 6502a

I have the 32gb Verizon LTE new iPad and couldn't be happier. I sold my iPad 2 to my mom, and I used it tonight to look something up online and I couldn't believe my eyes. Wow, the new iPad screen blows it out of the water. I don't think you can fully appreciate the new iPad screen, until you go back to the ipad 2.

2. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

Seeing it in store was enough for me.
    Still haven't got mine. :(

3. pat park macrumors 6502a

once you use the new iPad screen, the iPad 2 screen seems, broken.

4. adddictedtomac macrumors regular

I own both, iPad 2 and New iPad (3), frankly in my opinion the new one is only marginally better. Yes the screen is better (it is clearer only if you compare it to the old one), and dictation option is nice to have but I was disappointed to see that its NOT noticeably faster than the iPad2.

I think those who own an iPad 2, unless they need 4G, can wait for the next one......

just my thoughts...

5. erawsd macrumors 6502

Indeed, you don't really appreciate the difference until you look at that old screen. I gave my iPad 2 to my little sister, and the difference is just jarring.

6. CandyNJ66 macrumors regular

The difference is obvious to me having used mine for a few days and seeing a friends iPad 2. I couldn't go back to that screen lol

7. gregrose macrumors 6502

My eyes don't need to waste $500 for a better screen when the iPad 2 works just fine.

8. Coltaine macrumors regular

Coltaine

The screen of the new iPad is definitely better.
    Going back to the iPad 2, it really takes a while to get used to that screen again. But it is not only the iPad 2 , it is the same problem when loolking at the screens of the MBA and the iMac. First thing you notice is the "mesh" or "grid" that covers the whole screen.

Edit: I am not saying the devices are unusable, they are still fine. The Retina Displays is just ways better and it takes a while to get used to the old screens again.

9. urkel macrumors 68030

I'm using an iPad 2 screen right now to watch Netflix as I read Flipboard on my iPad 3. The new screen is noticeably better on certain apps but I don't feel it's nearly as improved as some people pretend it to be because the iPad 2 was already pretty impressive. Go ahead and slam me, but I just don't buy that so many people are having poor iPad 2 experiences or that they really see pixels as much as they claim.

10. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I finally got a chance to compare both in a shop yesterday.

It is noticeable, mostly with the icon names.

However, if you'd never used the new one you'd think the iPad 2's screen is amazing.

11. v654321 macrumors member

I've been thinking about buying the new iPad now for quite a few days (have a perfect non scratched iPad 2) but I'm really wondering whether the retina is worth it.

In the store its magnificent but once you start browsing the web and using FlipBoard, it's apparent that content just isn't made for such a high res. I mean, browsing the web and Flipboard are my main iPad 2 duties and though the text is much sharper, I feel content should be more optimized. The much sharper text allows content to be reduced in font size etc to really show much more information on a single page.

I haven't tried PDF magazines (they don't have them in iBooks in the store) but I can imagine that for PDF magazines and ebooks it really makes a difference.

What is your general experience with content on the web and Flipboard? Is it fine-tuned to make better use of the screen? I typically zoom/double tap forums etc so then the text on iPad 2 becomes much less pixelated due to the zooming.

Anyway, I'm just giving reasons I guess for not buying it (and I know I eventually will, it's just a matter of time). But I'm trying to resist as long as I can because I feel content can be much more optimized for maximizing the real-estate of the screen and the crispness/sharpness of the text.

12. iapplelove macrumors 68030

iapplelove

I still own both and laugh to myself sometimes when I see threads like can't tell the difference between the new iPad and the old.

Yeah the average consumer might not be able to see the difference in a retail store after only a few seconds but play with an ipad3 for a day and then go try to use anything else..it's very difficult

13. breezyf808 macrumors regular

Lol, I have the first iPhone (2g) and what it's compared to (my 4s) I am both amazed(and also laugh to myself) of how it "differentiate" itself from one another. I don't own any previous iPads but expect what this "new" one should look like, and I love it.
    I used to laugh at people who had it, until I got my wife a kindle fire and couldnt help but get one myself. I was about to get a ipad(2) and jailbreak it til I realize that the 3 would be a better investment (a happy-camper!)

14. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I am admittedly comparing my iPhone 4S to an iPad 1 rather comparing iPad 2 to iPad 3. While the font is significantly clearer, I still don't want to make the font smaller. I don't think that more pixels make your eyes better.

15. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I agree with you. Owning both, I find they each have their advantages.

The hi-res display of the current model is nice, but not as earth shattering as they'd like consumers to believe. My side by side comparisons of each, reveals the difference is only significant under certain conditions. With time it will become better as apps are upgraded, but as of the present time it's a bit under utilized.

16. Skygunner27 macrumors member

Skygunner27

The problem with the new iPad being on display/demo is that the stock wallpapers cause the home screen/icons to look slightly better. The new iPad really needs a high res wallpaper to bring out the obvious difference.

17. Archer1440 macrumors 6502

Archer1440

I did go back to my iPad 1 yesterday.

For 12 seconds.

Then my eyes started bleeding, so I stopped.

18. lindros2 macrumors newbie

People who post in these forums are more discerning than the average consumer.

I have two iPad 2's, and while the 3rd gen seemed nice, I was most bothered by the heat (scientific tests or not - the thing gets hot). My movies are mostly in 720p or 480p - so having a 1080p-capable screen does nothing for me (not to mention the file size of 1080p movies vs. 720p and 480p).

But as someone said above, unless you need LTE, the 3rd gen isn't that big of a deal better than the second gen.

Oh, and won't it be great when app developers start charging separately for iPad and iPod/iPhone apps? Yep, you can thank the third gen for that.

19. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Also, any magazine or book app that isn't updated to specifically support the new hi-res screen looks awful. Streaming video is nearly the same to me but since most of what I use mine for involves reading I can't wait for all the content providers to get updated.

Cheers,

20. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

I have used my wifes a few times. It's like comparing an iPhone 4/4s to an iPod Touch. Really hard to imagine downgrading to the iPad 2 again.

21. Buckeyestar macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

I could never sell something to my parents, I owe them too much for all they've done for me and my brothers over the years. I gave mine to my Dad, he loves it. Though he did try to give me money for it. :)

The only time I look at the old screen is to show Dad how to do something. He's already discovering apps in his own though.

22. tarasis macrumors 6502a

tarasis

Just because you don't see the pixels doesn't mean others don't. If I use the iPad (1 or 2) a foot and a bit away from my face (in bed for instance) the pixels are very obvious when reading but watching stuff or playing games was generally fine.

Jein. As a device I've always considered the iPad amazing but not the screen by any stretch of the imagination. Till now the iPad has been a Jack Of All Trade, but master of none. It played videos well, games well enough and reading was passable (or worse). Now it mostly excels for reading apart from sites that supply low res images which now stand out badly (like say the fuzzy Smilies on Macrumors). Having Retina is a blessing & a curse, particularly as we wait for the content to catch up.

I have each iPad and while I love my iPad 3 I wouldn't overly recommend it to someone that has an iPad 2 unless they read a lot of the device or need support for high res images now. They'd be better of waiting for the iPad 4 so content producers have time to catch up with support for the screen (media, websites and app devs)

23. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I guess because my eyesight isn't perfect, but I tend to think the difference between retina and non-retina display isn't that significant -- retina displays do look better to me, but not so much that I find non-retina screens unusable after having used retina. That said, today, I opened a Word document in Pages on my new iPad, and I found that I was able to read and edit it with 12-point font without switching to a larger font size, whereas on the iPad 2, I always had to increase the font to about 15 or 16 points to feel comfortable reading it. So, yes, retina does make a difference, but I also don't mind using the iPad 2 every so often.

24. nfl46 macrumors 603

I had both. It hard to do things on the iPad 2 for me now. My eyes have adjusted to the iPad 3 screen.

25. Gomff macrumors 6502a

I have an iPad 2 which I'm more than happy with. A friend came over recently with his iPad and was casually showing me an app he had bought when I mentioned that I still hadn't seen the new iPad yet. He surprised me by saying "you're looking at one". At first I thought he was joking but after a while I realised he was right.

To be honest, I was quite surprised he'd upgraded since we had been talking the week before about it and both seemed to agree that the upgrade for iPad 2 owners seemed extravagant. After using his new one for a while, I could appreciate that the text looked clearer, and photos looked nicer but I still think that for me, it's an extravagant upgrade.

The iPad just doesn't do enough for me to justify spending more money on it. I do really enjoy using mine, especially on the sofa reading news and articles, books, surfing and messing about on it, but it's a luxury item and the moment I want to do anything serious I reach for my laptop or go sit at my desk.

For me to justify spending more money on a new iPad, it would have to have more functionality.....a file system, proper mouse and keyboard support, game controller support and whatnot. The new screen is nice but it's not the must have feature that It has been so well marketed to be, for me anyway.