Have Any Silves Stainless Steel Owners Gotten Really Deep Gashes/Scratches On Their Watches

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
The title speaks for itself thanks
Basically, what you’re asking is a ‘Yes or no’ question. May be more specific in your post, like how it happened, pictures, etc.

But no ‘Gashes’ on the casing on my Apple Watch, light scratches in the past, but they were able to be removed with the polishing cloth.

Reactions: Soba1

Soba1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Basically, what you’re asking is a ‘Yes or no’ question. May be more specific in your post, like how it happened, pictures, etc.

But no ‘Gashes’ on the casing on my Apple Watch, light scratches in the past, but they were able to be removed with the polishing cloth.
I sincerely appreciate your clarification. Thanks

Sword86

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
S4 since release day and not so much as a micro-scratch and I wear it everwhere except when it’s on charge. Gym, eveywhere.
The only real care I take is when taking it off and putting it on. I make sure it faces a soft, short landing if I were to drop it. S

Soba1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Wow man. How did you know how to do all that? Great job. Gonna save this post for when I get my stainless steel
I’m so on the fence now since the gold through Verizon is on back order and the silver stainless u have to do maintenance but it looks great. While the black stainless is virtually worry free

brentc133

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2012
SBSS is extremely durable but if you scratch through the coating you cannot buff it out as it will be shiny SS under the black diamond coating. I did end up getting a very small scratch on my AW2 SSSB and it was barely noticeable but still there.

Soba1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
SBSS is extremely durable but if you scratch through the coating you cannot buff it out as it will be shiny SS under the black diamond coating. I did end up getting a very small scratch on my AW2 SSSB and it was barely noticeable but still there.
I am very OCD.....

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I am very OCD.....
In that case, I'd HIGHLY recommend the silver SS. It will get scratches and scuffs (not a question of IF, but WHEN) but as you can see from my post, even deep scratches/gouges can be buffed out 100%. And for smaller scratches, Cape Cod cloth works great and is really quick + easy.
[doublepost=1542497318][/doublepost]
Wow man. How did you know how to do all that? Great job. Gonna save this post for when I get my stainless steel
About a year before the first AW came out, I had a custom lightsaber made for me; it was an Anakin-style saber and I wanted it to have an emitter ring with a mirrored interior. I bought a length of aluminum pipe that was the right diameter but the inside of the pipe was really rough. Between sanding and Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish, I was able to polish it to a near-perfect mirror finish. So when I scratched the AW, I knew exactly what to do. Lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghost31

Soba1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
I appreciate everyone’s input. But I have been trying to convince myself about the SS Silver I decided to just wait for the gold

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I posted about it here, with details, before and after pictures, etc.
I admit, this is impressive how you were able to completely remove that gouge out of the 316 L stainless with sandpaper and a Dremel. Far more advanced than I would want to attempt, but at least it’s ‘doable’ with specific instructions on how to do so.

It’s also one of the reasons why opted for the space black stainless, as I owned the regular stainless steel Apple Watch at one point, and it certainly does scratch very easily.

xaqt93

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
I have not had any deep scratches. I only got the SS Watch because it is more durable then the aluminum .