Have anyone used OpenDNS to block social networks properly?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by OverSpun, Sep 2, 2011.

1. OverSpun macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

I have installed OpenDNS and I plugged in their DNS links and it worked properly instantly but it has blocked the entire network from social networks to avoid some of the young kids that spent most of their time on there since I only needed to block 2 machines (1 is on wifi and 1 is wired) since it has blocked myself but I only use any of the social network sites not very often, but I would like if I could make this work properly.

Any recommendations how to make this work right? I tried to contact OpenDNS and they responded my question but its taken the entire week for 1 respond that totally didn't really tell me anything that should be done.

I really wish that Airport Extreme had some legitimate parental access with it easier to control all the machines in the network.

Thanks in advance. :)

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You can override one machine by giving it a non-OpenDNS DNS resolving address manually or you can pick out a few machines by giving them OpenDNS addresses manually. But a warning, smarter people will just change the DNS settings to something else, so lockout the needed parts.

3. OverSpun thread starter macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

Thanks! Honestly though- I only could figure installing OpenDNS since I only slapped in the OpenDNS DNS in the TCP/IP.

Would you be able showing me that I would need to do in airport unless it has to be done on each machine to override the openDNS? I've never needed to block out machines in my network until now.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I'm not going to walk to walk you through all of it. You'll have to do some thinking. Decide if you want to allow more computers or block more computers. If you want to block more, put OpenDNS on the Extreme. If you want to block only a few computers, manually put OpenDNS on them so that they override the Extreme's internal DNS server.

5. OverSpun thread starter macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

Ok, nevermind. I'll wait until someone is more helpful than only posting nonsense that wouldnt help anyone. :rolleyes:

Thanks.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

[​IMG]

Just start Airport Utility and enter the OpenDNS DNS addresses in these two places, then update the settings to the Airport. This will allow you to use OpenDNS with all machines without having to configure individual computers.

7. OverSpun thread starter macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

I plugged in the OpenDNS Addresses such your image but that setup its blocking the entire network.

I really only need to block 2 machines in the network but I can't figure it if its even possible in the airport.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you use the Airport is will block all machines using the Airport. You can go to the machines you do not want blocked and enter your ISP's DNS there to unblock those machines.

9. OverSpun thread starter macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

That sounds good, that means that I'm close. Would you be able to tell me which part of the Network in Sys Pref? I kinda would assume that its something in the TCP/IP?

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

In the Network pref pane highlight the network you are using, then click Advanced in the lower left... from there you will see a DNS tab.

11. OverSpun thread starter macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

Sounds great. I'm there, so I would only assume to leave the DNS with the original auto-DNS, but I think if I did that it'll jam up having the DNS with the Open DNS addresses between each machine.

Heres where I am-
    [​IMG]

or maybe here-
    [​IMG]

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you leave it at the auto setting like you have now, it it pointing DNS to your router at 10.0.1.1... which you now have set to OpenDNS, so that defeats the purpose.

In your second screen cap, remove that 10.0.1.1 entry and replace it with your ISP's DNS to just use Google's DNS which is not filtered.

13. OverSpun thread starter macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

I see. So by switching out the router DNS with google DNS should override the OpenDNS on any machines to avoid it?

14. OverSpun thread starter macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

15. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

In my OpenDNS I can block any sight individually ( as shown in this instructional video). Plus I put the OpenDNS settings in my router. I only put the DNS settings on my laptop because I take that to different places.

16. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just to be clear, you want OpenDNS set in the router, and GoogleDNS set on the machines where you want no blocking.

If you put 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 in the OS X DNS entry on the machines you want open, that should work.

17. OverSpun thread starter macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

Youre absolutely right. I tried it before your post but it didnt seem to work but I cleared the cache and everything since I tested it on my iPad and iPhone and they were blocked still which proved too that it handled it. :D

Thanks!

18. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Glad that it worked out for you. :)

19. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

He was being quite helpful. I'm not sure you understood what he was saying. The implication he was making, I believe, is that you should take the time to properly understand what you are changing because there are consequences that you should understand.