Have AT&T Unlimited plan, but switching to Verizon - Sell my plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ahheck01, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Ahheck01 macrumors 6502

So I just checked upgrade eligibility, and I'm eligible for an AT&T upgrade, and I can keep my unlimited Data.

That said, I need to switch to Verizon. I would imagine people would enjoy the ability to get unlimited data - is there a smart way to 'sell' my unlimited plan at the same time that I switch over to Verizon?

2. duffer6 macrumors 6502

Nope, can't be done. The plan is tied to you via your name social security number and address. When you leave AT&T the plan ceases to exist. Nice try though.

3. Ahheck01 thread starter macrumors 6502

If I'm not mistaken, I think we have the legal right to transfer ownership of our account to someone else - it's just a challenge of figuring out the right way to go about selling it to someone.

4. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Yes, it is perfectly legal for anyone to take over the account so that you don't have to pay the ETF or just want to give the unlimited plan to someone else. That person would have to pass a credit check it takes a few days to transfer to the new person.

When I cancelled one of my plans last month, the rep asked me if I knew of anyone who would like to take over the account.

I tried getting rid of two plans on these forums with unlimited data plans but could not find anyone willing. I was giving mine away for free and no one wanted the bill even though the contract was only for six more months.

5. Ahheck01 thread starter macrumors 6502

That's good info - big thanks for replying! When you turn over your account, does your number stay with it, or is there the possibility of transferring my number to my new account?

6. hexonxonx macrumors 601

You would have to call AT&T about that. I have no idea there.

7. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Really? I thought there was a site that arranged swaps between user, but perhaps I'm mistaken

8. hexonxonx macrumors 601

That person you are replying to has no idea what he is talking about. Read the posts in this thread. It can be done right on the AT&T site.

9. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

no it can't be done. when you transfer ownership att forces the new owner to choose a new data plan

10. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Call AT&T and ask them yourself.

11. hwnstyle21 macrumors newbie

When I did transfers with Sprint and Tmobile I had to give up the number.

12. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

you CAN transfer ownership... but the new owner CANNOT retain unlimited data plan.... att WILL force them to change plans

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB94738#fbid=fyD1nCqOfRt

13. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

you can transfer the billing responsibilty but if the contract is under 1 year I think they add another year to it so it wouldn't be worth it. Plus people can go on ebay and some guy will give you unlimited for like $30

14. duffer6 macrumors 6502

I actually know what I am talking about, it can't be done. Good luck with that. BTW no need to be rude I am just providing you factual info as it relates to the standard contract that ATT requires of each and every user. Accounts can only be transferred to members of the same family with the same billing address. I am sure there are unethical ways around this and maybe that is the route you go but if you follow the letter of the contract you agreed to then NO this can not be done.

You asked if the account can be transferred with the Unlimited data plan and once again NO NO NO. If you want to transfer ownership so you can avoid the monthly bill requirements or the early termination fee then yes this can be done but the owner of that account will not be offered unlimited DATA only the current offerings.