Have ATT iPhone 5 if I buy Tmobile version 5S from apples website do i just swap sims

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by neroabarth, Oct 3, 2013.

1. neroabarth macrumors newbie

Hi All,

Dumb question since I see that Tmobile and ATT (i think) use the same phone?

If I were to order a 5S from apple.com and choose the Tmobile version (im buying at full price), is it just a matter of swapping the sims from my 5 to 5S?

Adam

2. panzer06, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013

panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

There's been a bit of confusion about this but the current consensus is that the version that comes with the T-Mobile SIM is locked to T-Mobile. It no longer says unlocked but contract free and states you can use GSM SIMs from international carriers but no mention of AT&T or other domestic carriers. I'd go to an Apple Store and see if the unlocked unaffiliated versions are available for sale. I seem to remember those were released a month later last time.

Cheers,

EDIT: Talked to T-Mobile and they said the T-Mobile version sold by Apple is unlocked but the T-Mobile sold phones are locked to T-Mobile. They said the Apple website is confusing but there should be no issue if you buy it directly from Apple.