Have G5 2.0 DC GeForce 6600 256MB _ Want To Hook-up 2nd Monitor _ Need Some Advice!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Jeanne C, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Jeanne C macrumors newbie

I am working on a PowerMac G5 2.0 DC that has 8GB of RAM and a GeForce 6600 video card with 256MB VRAM.

According to the specs on "EveryMac.com" I should be able to operate two monitors with this video card.

Presently, I have a 27-inch ViewSonic [VX2753MH-LED] monitor, which hooks up with a VGA connector, and I'd like to run two of these.

I know there are two connectors on the card, but I'm not exactly sure how to run two monitors with it.

I don't want to buy another monitor until I understand the configuration necessary to hook it up, and whether there might be performance issues associated with various types of cords or adapters that are available for doing this.

I utilize the computer for writing. Generally, I have 2-3 MS Word documents open while I write, along with PDF documents and Safari windows that I need to study at the same time.

If I could get the material I need to read on one screen and documents I'm writing on another it would make the process much easier.

Any advice you can offer regarding my objectives will be greatly appreciated.

Jeanne C

2. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

Just plug the monitor in to the dvi, go to system preferences then displays then click detect displays that's all you have to do.

Be aware that it will not support both at resolutions higher than 1920x1200. Anything higher requires a dual link dvi. I guess the Nv 6600 has one dual link dvi. What is the max res on your monitor?

3. Jeanne C thread starter macrumors newbie

The maximum resolution for this monitor is 1920 x 1080 at 60 HZ.

I'm pretty sure that one of these ports is specifically designed to power two monitors with a single cord from the "dual link dvi" port that you're referring too. I'm thinking that the "dual link dvi" port is the bigger connector on the card that I'm not utilizing now, and that the cord I will need splits off in a "Y" configuration to provide a connection for two VGA cords from that connector to the monitors.

It seems to me that when these monitors are hooked up the video card has to treat them as though they were a single monitor, which would allow me to drag and drop things from one screen to the other. I've seen people at the "Mac Store" move things from one screen to the another. Since I only have one mouse it seems like the card would have to read its movements as though they were being performed on one screen.

That would allow me to put the browser window and PDF documents on one screen and spread my Word documents on the other. Just being able to focus on the material without having to shuffle things back and forth between the dock and screen would give me a huge boost in productivity.

Not exactly sure where to begin looking for the cords and connectors necessary to do this. I prefer "high-end" quality from companies that have a reputation for providing it with these types of components. Figure I'll poke around with some "Google" searches for a couple hours while I watch this thread. -- Thanks for your help.

4. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

are you on vga? the 27" has a dvi connector i am sure, use it. just connect the two monitors to your video card, open system preferences then displays and click detect displays and you are done. unselect "mirror" to span on two monitors.

5. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Just hook up 2 DVI monitors. Your 6600 will have no problem driving 2x 1920x1200(1080) monitors. You can get DVI>HMDI adapters for cheap and will get a better picture than VGA.

6. Jeanne C thread starter macrumors newbie

No, this monitor has two HDMI ports and one VGA port. That's all it has.

I was looking at reviews of this monitor at Newegg today and people were saying the same thing about being disappointed that it doesn't have a DVI connector. Aside from the need for having to run down an extra adaptor it has a nice screen with plenty of resolution for my purposes.

As I said, I DO NOT actually have a second monitor or cord to plug into this computer yet. That's what I'm working towards here ... trying to ascertain the components that I need to incorporate another monitor into this system.

I'm thinking that one of the connectors on the video card is a "Dual DVI Port," which is capable of supplying the output signals for two monitors. If that is the protocol for operating two monitors, then I'd have to find a "Y" Splitter/Adapter [DVI connector for connection to the video card and two VGA connectors for connecting cords from the monitors].

I've recently taken over this computer from my dad, who has it inside a cabinet to protect it from the dust we have here in Arizona. I used a mirror to look behind the computer and could see a little white "adapter cord" with two types of connectors. My dad says that the white adapter cord is a "Dongle," which converts one of the video card's DVI ports to a VGA connection that the monitor cord is plugged into. The port that the monitor is connected to at present is on the left side of the video card if you were looking the computer from the rear.

I've been trying to find some sort of operating manual or Wiki article that provides a description or schematic for making these connections today. Looks like I'll have to take the subject up tomorrow. -- Thanks again.

7. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

The 6600 has 2 DVI ports so just buy 2 DVI>HDMI adapters. <$10/shipped for the link I provided above. One is a dual-link DVI which supports resolutions above 1920x1200.

I don't think that you can just buy DVI splitter to run 2 different monitors from one port unless I'm wrong about that?

8. Jeanne C thread starter macrumors newbie

The video card definitely has two ports, which appear to both be DVI ports from what I can see in the mirror.

Okay ... If I'm following what you are saying, then I can get two DVI to HDMI adapters, connect them [one each] to the video card's ports, and simply run an HDMI cord between those adapters and the HDMI ports on the back of the monitors to obtain a video signal from the computer.

The reason I did not consider the two HDMI ports on the back of the monitors prior to this, is because I thought they were used for connecting accessories like DVD/Blue Ray devices. I'll call ViewSonic to confirm that the monitor's HDMI ports can be used to provide the video signal from the computer itself, if I can't find the manual for it online. Then, if it's that simple I'll just order those connectors with cords and another monitor.

If the physical hook-up is that simple, as I understand it my next step is to access "System Preferences ... Turn off Mirroring" and that's it ...

The video card will track movements of the mouse across individual screens utilizing connections through separate ports.

That would sure make my work much easier.

I'll check it all out tomorrow, and again, I very much appreciate the help you guys have given to me. __ Jeanne C

9. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

Just go ahead and buy the dvi to hdmi adaptor. Plug the two monitors in, set the display preferences and uncheck mirroring, and sure you should be good to go. Done it. One of the dvi ports on the 6600 is a dual link, it should be the port#1. And a dual link port supports 2560x1600 resolution, the other port only supports up to 1920x1200, if your monitor is 1080p you should be good.

10. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

HDMI is basically DVI which the exception of extra pins for audio. You get a better picture since you're staying all digital and not converting to analog.

Just go to system preferences and set up your displays as extended. You can even click and drag the little menubar/dock in the little picture to which ever you want to be the main display since you only get your dock on the main screen.