Have Grandfathered Unlimited at AT&T But Area No LTE - Switch to Verizon?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by apierrec, Sep 19, 2012.

1. apierrec, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012

apierrec macrumors 6502

Sorry this is tldr cool story bro LOL :D; for those who have the patience, I need your opinion, there might be something am missing before I decide on Friday. Thanks in advance.

Place I live is among those with LTE coverage on Verizon.

Have an IP4 32 GB white and am pretty close for a full upgrade and am good customer who never gave them a hard time lol except when I told them am gonna switch to Verizon since I want the iPhone 5 now and I'll save more if I pay ETF and get the iPhone 5 now at Verizon.

For my needs, here's the rundown ...

AT&T

Pros:

- Grandfathered unlimited data
    - they will call me on Friday for a full upgrade overwrite
    - better 3G and 3.5 G coverage everywhere (from what I heard/read)
    - can use data & voice at the same time

Cons:

- no LTE in my area (closest one is about 30 miles away in the west and when I head east about 45 miles away)
    - Facetime not included in my plan
    - have to pay cash for the hardware and all fees now
    - will not get it on launch day
    - iPhone 5 AT&T GSM version lost it's global phone edge vs. CDMA (as I travel a lot and will go to Japan / SEA / Europe in the next few months - they are where from what am reading the iP5 Vz version is more compatible there)

Verizon

Pro:

- will be able to test iPhone 5 greatness on LTE - my area has LTE
    - will have a chance to get iPhone 5 on launch day (pre-ordered 64 GB white in Best Buy) for possibly 6 months thru 1 year no interest payment under my BB rewards account
    - no extra charge Facetime and Mobile hotspot included in their generic plan
    - for some bizzare reason, the iP5 CDMA version is the more global phone

Cons:

- more expensive and will lose unlimited data (though am
    qualified for 20% corporate discount)
    - made a BB pre-order mistake; I want a black iPhone 5 for a change since I own an iP4 white & the black iP5 looks gorgeous in pictures (maybe it's a blessing in disguise if "scuffgate" issue is true?)

By principles, part of me wanted to leave AT&T because of some of their anti-consumers policies and data throttling but then I feel like Verizon is pretty much the same so should I wait for the unlock version?

I used about 1.5 GB thru 2 GB of data currently at AT&T every month if I don't upload/download ton of pictures in FB, shutterfly Google+ etc or watch streaming videos in YT or netflix over the 3G network.

I plan to be a data hog with an iP5 - am I stuck with AT&T? Would their 3.5 G coverage enough for my needs?

2. shujin macrumors member

On my mothers 4G ipad I have seen speeds from 6-10 mbps on ATT's 3.5G HSPDA network. Which on my opinion is fast. The 10 mbps was in Phoenix and the 6 was at her house near Greensburg Pa. I thought of switching to verizon but the price is what really turned me away. Plus I live in Pittsburgh and they will be getting LTE soon.

Europe and Japan both use GSM networks. The ATT phone is much more global. I have used my iphone 4 in Europe no problem. The Verizon iphone 5 does not have GSM in it.

3. fins831 macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't give up unlimited data for anything....LTE is a faster highway, so you are going to reach your cap faster because you can get there faster. Data consumption is mostly the same, except if you are watching videos or streaming, since you can download and buffer quicker, more data gets to you before you stop streaming or watching....also defaults to higher quality.

Overall consumption on 3G = same consumption on 4G outside of streaming videos, but if you have a faster connection, you can consume more material and you could increase your data usage.

My friend has an LTE iPad and in 2 days he has used 1 gig just surfing the net at work and using flipboard...

I would keep my unlimited until they pry it from my fingers

4. apierrec thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks so much am leaning towards now on waiting for the unlock version, stick with AT&T iP4 for now and just go hangout everyday in Apple stores to test iP5. :D

Per some articles / blogs, my impression is that Verizon's iP5 is the more global
    phone.

5. nostresshere macrumors 68030

I tried to read through it all, but...

Why switch. You have a good phone with a good plan. Why mess with it?

6. apierrec, Sep 19, 2012

apierrec thread starter macrumors 6502

I'll stick with my current plan especially if BB will have an extra AT&T 64 GB black (instead of Verizon 64 GB white I pre-ordered) and AT&T will allow me for a full upgrade via Best Buy.

----------
    I know that's the main issue of my indecesiveness ... I feel like though it will be more expensive & limited data with Verizon - it will be totally worth it on iP5 access of LTE networks anytime, anywhere as
    in iP5 must be on LTE now / all the time!

7. supervelous macrumors 6502

I didn't read it all but had a similar situation. Have AT&T unlimited, but there was no LTE in my area per AT&T and their coverage map. So when pre-orders started, wanting my phone day 1, I decided to order Verizon. Even though I'd lose my unlimited, I would get LTE, mobile hotspot, and facetime over cell. A bit bummed to lose unlimited and data & voice simulatenously though.

Anyway, I then find out, after I ordered that AT&T just flipped on the switch for LTE here, now I am kicking myself wishing my order was with AT&T. Don't want to go from $30 unlimited data to $50 for 5GB of data, plus losing the voice & data at the same time.

Although, AT&T throttles you at 5GB, it's still essentially 5GB for $20 less per month and no overage charges.

8. apierrec thread starter macrumors 6502

Which area is that where AT&T just switched LTE on, if I may ask? So there's some breaking AT&T LTE news I need to catch-up on I guess too ...

9. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

If you choose Verizon you are forced into a data share plan with a $40 fee for each smartphone in addition to the actual data plan.

10. apierrec thread starter macrumors 6502

Nevermind - just read the thread about AT&T LTE flipping going on, wow.

11. Cutwolf macrumors 6502

Check how much data you use.

General --> Usage --> Cellular Usage.

I feel like I use a lot.

But my actual usage is:

Sent - 835 MB
    Received - 4.4 GB

From November 2011 until now.

That sealed the deal for me switching to VZW. It helps that AT&T is absolutely awful in NYC, but I was loathe to give up my unlimited data until I checked.

I also have unlimited data on iPad which might curtail my iPhone usage (and lessen the blow).

12. tigress666 macrumors 68040

I would compare price plans for the amount of data and minutes and text you think you will consume and see which one is cheaper and go with that ;). Unless you really think you do need unlimited and then I'd go with that.

And this from some one who has unlimited and won't give it up but I don't need any of the "perks" AT&T is offering for giving it up and Verizon for my needs would be helluva lot more expensive (and there is no cheaper option for my needs than what I have now). ANd I've been happy with AT&T so I don't really want to leave (I've been with them/cingular for 10 years and not any real big complaint).

Also, check to see if AT&T is going to bring LTE to your town anytime soon. They've been opening LTE in a lot of the cities they claim by teh end of 2012 just in these past two days (like my city went live yesterday). So if it's on that list, it may be at worst you will only have a few months to wait to experience it.

13. ginwrak macrumors member

whatever fits your needs best and puts less of a dent in your wallet.

14. aristobrat macrumors G4

It looks like the bands that AT&T uses for their LTE have frequencies that overlap with the bands that other countries use for their LTE.

My guess is that by making the Verizon iPhone 5 so that it doesn't have to be compatible with AT&T's LTE, they were able to make it compatible with the LTE used by the majority of the rest of the world.

That being that, the AT&T iPhone 5 supports UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA, so it should be just as capable when traveling overseas as the iPhone 4s was, if that helps any.

15. apierrec thread starter macrumors 6502

Great point on that ^+ last one. Thank you everyone.

Am sticking with AT&T - all the recent news LTE flipping give me hope / makes me excited - my area will probably have LTE in the next few days (or for sure ny end of the year).

Wait, don't care if there's international roaming rates, using an AT&T SIM, would a locked iP5 AT&T phone works in Japan or SEA or Europe (now)?

16. apierrec, Sep 19, 2012

*sigh AT&T*

My area is not in any list of a plan future LTE roll-out by EOY.

Like I said, we already are on LTE long-time ago with Verizon.

Am having this bad feeling again, I'll be upgrading to iP5 with a fresh 2 year contract for a 3.5 G LOL.

^*Could be a game-time / launch day decision on Friday if Best Buy will have the exact model & color I wanted*

17. mpossoff macrumors 68020

What's this fixation with LTE? I've said if AT&T never got LTE in my area I am very satisfied with the current network for data.

18. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Yep. Same here. It is not a deal breaker for me. My advice to the OP is make sure Verizon won't be significantly more before switching (though to be fair I'm thinking of my preference not to pay more over getting LTE which is just extra for me).

Thoughim lucky, I am getting LTE but I already knew I was staying with AT&T before I knew I was getting that.

19. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

I don't see the point of giving up unlimited data for LTE.

AT&T will have LTE, it's not like you're going to be stuck on 3G forever. If you already have 3.5G, LTE probably isn't too far away for your city. Based on reports it'll <1 year.

The way I see it:

1. Give up unlimited data FOREVER, for an extra ~6 months of LTE service.

2. Keep your unlimited and wait ~6 months for LTE to come to you.

End game: In one scenario you have unlimited data, in the other you don't. You get LTE, eventually, in BOTH.

20. JLee361, Sep 19, 2012

JLee361 macrumors member

LTE on my att iPad 3 is amazing ( had to buy grandfathered unlimited data plan). It's 10x faster than 3G and AT&Ts "4g". Luckily, AT&T brought LTE to my city ( which I'm surprised Waco, TX got it before some other major cities).

Stick with ur AT&T
    unlimited data plan and wait for LTE (even tho we get capped at 5GB). I survived on 4G on my iPhone 4S, but once LTE came out I couldn't imagine using 3G and 4G again.

I haven't had any serious problems with AT&T like I've heard other people been having. Been with AT&T before they changed to Cingular and came back to it.

Jailbreak whichever carrier device you have and most of your pros/cons will be the same..

21. apierrec, Sep 19, 2012

Upgrading with iP5 because it is at least 2x faster than 4/4S why would I settle for 3.5G if there's a much faster 4G LTE (could be up to at least 5x vs in 3.5 G)?

But then most of you are right, if am limited to the more expensive 3 GB data in Verizon LTE everywhere I go (3GB data plan is the one I can afford for 2 years), the cheaper, being able to use at least 5GB data or more with AT&T (if not throttled) on 3.5G and possibly combined with 4G LTE access somewhere that has it is more appealing and practical to me and my needs - that's not even considering the consistently better 3G coverage of AT&T over Verizon.

Now I feel better again. :) Thank you.

22. gowanis macrumors 6502

I gave up AT&T unlimited and ordered a Verizon iPhone 5. I live in central NJ where Verizon has full LTE coverage, while AT&T has none. I have an iPad that is Verizon LTE and the speed is amazing (30mbps). I've come to realize that 2GB per device is enough for me, so it was an easy decision. AT&T 3G has been lousy in my area as well. Also, occasional Facetime over cellular will be nice on Verzion, while I wouldn't be able to do it with AT&T.

23. volntitan macrumors 6502

Thinking of switching from unlimited to the 10 gb plan for family. On the whole, we use maybe 5-6 gb a month and the mobile share plan would be quite a bit cheaper. And at least with the mobile share, I can do hot spot with iPhone.

24. bigjim83 macrumors 6502

Whatever helps you sleep at night. It is definitely a bad call and trying to rationalize it by the iphone 5 supposedly being twice as fast as the previous iphone

25. apierrec thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I guess, I'll take the risks (& enjoy all the fun) in jailbreaking as I really need the Facetime and hotspot features for free.