Have iPhone 3GS, worth it to upgrade now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RJCP, Jul 4, 2012.

1. RJCP macrumors 6502

Hi guys, I've got an iPhone 3GS which is getting increasingly slow under iOS's pressures.
    I could upgrade now for a 4S. Do you think it's worth it or should I suck it up a couple more months and see how the iPhone 5 will be?

2. batting1000 macrumors 604

You could upgrade now and when the iPhone 5 comes out, buy it, do an ESN swap, and then sell your 4S to make up the money.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You have waited this long, why not just wait?
    Unless you have a compelling reason to upgrade now, it would probably be prudent to hold on a couple of months

4. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

My wife is in an even worse position as she has an original 3g, but she's waiting for the 5 - it's close enough now that unless the phone actually goes wrong, it's worth the wait IMO

5. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

90 days.

Just relax and sit tight till iPhone "5"

I got my 4S in February. I wouldn't have bothered getting it had it been June and certainly not July. Too late in the game then.

6. Xian Zhu Xuande macrumors 6502a

Xian Zhu Xuande

Another vote for waiting until the next iPhone is announced. At best, you'll want it much more than the 4S. At worst, it may allow you to get the 4S you want at a lower price.

7. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

You'd be a fool to tie yourself into a new 2 year contract with a 2 1/2 year old phone design. Wait. My wife's phone has died, but we'll not get a 4S this late in the game.

8. Xian Zhu Xuande macrumors 6502a

Xian Zhu Xuande

2 1/2 year old design, but still by far one of the most attractive (if not the most attractive) phones out there. Who cares about the design unless it is ugly?

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Unless your phone goes belly up, then I would wait.

10. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Get the 4S NOW. You'll be one less person I have to compete with when iPhone 5 pre-orders go live. ;)

11. BrerSam macrumors member

I would wait, i upgraded a month ago and regret it and will sell my 4S for the 5.

12. taipan61 macrumors 6502

unless your current unit it tanked i would wait and see what the next gen brings, if you don't like it you can always get a 4s at a reduced price or "gasp:eek:" go android

13. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

If you want to be kicking yourself later then go ahead and buy it.

14. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

15. RJCP thread starter macrumors 6502

Thx for the advice guys.
    I gave it some thought and went ahead with the upgrade for one simples reason: size. With all the market pressure the iPhone5 is very very likely to have a bigger screen and therefor bigger dimensions and anything bigger than the current 4S size is too much. I think it's just the right size for a mobile phone and I find the current trend of bigger and bigger phones with bigger screens rather unpleasant. I want something I can easily slide in and out of my pocket. The SG S3 is a monstrosity of a phone... no matter how amazing the hardware may be, it's just too big, so don't even get me started on the Note.

It's funny how 10 years ago companies were fighting each other to see who'd come up with the most portable model and nowadays they're fighting to see who comes up with the bigger and most impressive screen.

I got a really good contract with it and I'm very happy with the handset.
    If things don't turn out like I imagine they will (that is, a bigger sized phone), then I'll sell this one and get an SIM free iPhone 5.

16. Phone Junky macrumors 6502

10 years ago, people weren't watching videos and surfing the internet on their phones so no need for bigger screens.

17. mtj111 macrumors member

A 4" 16:9 iPhone would probably be only a tiny bit bigger. There is a lot of "wasted" space above and below the screen on the 4/4s - why not have more of this portion be usable real-estate?

18. RJCP thread starter macrumors 6502

10 years ago you didn't have tablets. Portability is a very big issue for me. I really think the current iPhone screen size is ideal. Just because there's bigger models it doesn't mean they're more functional.

19. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I agree mostly. Since having an iPad, iPhone combo, I don't place as much value on having a large screen on my phone.

20. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

If you didn't a tablet, would you be happy with a 3.5" screen? I have an iPad and I still think the iPhone is too small to bother browsing, taking notes or playing most games.

21. RJCP thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't have a tablet. The current iPhone size doesn't really bother me. I'd rather have to tap a bit more in order to browse than having a brick in my pOcket. But that's just me.

22. iHelios macrumors member

I'm rocking a 3GS and it runs iOS 5 pretty smooth. Do your iPhone a favor and perform a factory reset... Should bring the phone back up to speed.

23. WeegieMac Guest

WeegieMac

I just sold my 4 for £270 on Gumtree and have taken out a contract with O2 on a 4S.

Free phone.
    Unlimited UK mins (all networks and landlines).
    Unlimited UK texts (all networks).
    1GB of data.

£36pm.

Too good a deal too turn down as my 4 was showing its age.

24. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Agreed. Any bigger and the screen will be hard to use one-handed. One of the reasons I like the iPhone so much.