Have iPhone 6+, got a new iPad Mini 3 - can I do iCloud restore from iPhone to iPad?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by striders, Mar 24, 2015.

1. striders macrumors 6502

There are some apps in the iPhone 6+ which I want to "transfer" (apps data included) to the new iPad Mini 3, but since iCloud cannot do individual app restore, the only way I can think of is to setup the iPad Mini 3 as "Restore from iCloud".

Questions:
    1). Since this is 2 different devices, will restoring from iPhone to iPad cause any issues?

2). Since iCloud already have the iPhone backup, would it get "confused" when I tried to backup the iPad to the iCloud since the iPad was restored from the iPhone? Or will iCloud create a brand new backup?

3). What do I need to change in the iPad Mini to differentiate between iPhone iCloud backup and the iPad iCloud backup?

2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

You can use iMazing to drag your apps and the data and then just drop them in the new iPad. The free trial is fully functional.

http://imazing.com

But to answer your questions...

I did a restore the other day and I lost service and my Phone app's database stopped working. I blame that on the fact that I went to 8.3 back to 8.2. You should be ok if you're on the same version of iOS because it knows the difference between an iPad and iPhone and won't try and toggle something that isn't there, like cellular data or whatever.

It'll make a new backup of your new iPad, it won't rewrite the old one. ;)

You don't have to do anything. The backups work between the iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch. It's just data you're writing. It's not like flashing the IPSW firmware to the device when you click check for update/restore.

3. striders thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the information. That iMazing app look amazing (no pun intended!). I didn't know you can backuip and restore individual app data with 3rd party solution. Apple should baked this functionality in iCloud.