Have MacBook Air 1.3ghz getting new Air 1.7ghz. Upgrade Cloning

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by parcou, Feb 1, 2012.

1. parcou, Feb 1, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012

parcou macrumors newbie

New to the Mac world but I am a not a newbie to PC technology.

I have a MacBook Air
    1.4ghz
    Intel Duo Core processor
    2GB ram
    64GB SSD
    11" screen

Out grown it was my learning device to get use to the Apple world. I have coming a:

MacBook Air
    1.7ghz
    i7 processor
    4GB ram
    256GB SSD
    13" screen

In the PC world, I would clone the first PC and then drop that image on the second and all the new hardware would be detected in Win7 if anything needed to be loaded then I would install needed drivers...if any

I have programs on the current MacBook installed from people that I cannot get again like Fusion4, MS Office 2011, Lion OS, etc. It originally came with Leopard and none of those applications.

Is this a wise thing to do in the Apple world since I am stepping up one MacBook Air to a more powerful MacBook Air?

Pls advise...

2. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

I can understand why you'd find 64GB a little restrictive.

If you're creating Time Machine backups on an external drive (or if you buy an external drive and back up your entire drive) you can transfer your files and applications as you start up the new MBA.

That's probably the easiest way to make certain your irreplaceable software is moved to the new MacBook Air. As others on this forum will tell you, this isn't a foolproof solution ... but it's more elegant and reliable than anything I've seen in the MS world.

Enjoy your spacious 256GB SSD!

3. KPOM macrumors G5

The easiest way is to use Migration Assistant. It will copy over all your applications and settings. There are two main ways of doing this.
    1) If you have an external drive, clone your existing drive using Carbon Copy Cloner (it is shareware and a very good program). Then connect the external drive to your new Mac. When you set it up for the first time, you will be asked whether you want to migrate. Alternatively, you can select Migration Assistant from within the Utilities folder inside the Applications folder.

2) If you have a wireless network, as long as both the new and old Macs are on the network, you can also run Migration Assistant from there. This takes longer, though.

Also, which Air do you have? There never was a model with an i3 processor. The 2010 models (and prior) had the Core 2 Duo. The 2011 models have Core i5 or Core i7 processors.

4. robbie12345 macrumors 6502

first off there was never an option for a 1.3gz processor on a mba much less an i3 also there is no such thing as a 1.7ghz i7 so do u mean 1.8ghz i7 or 1.7ghz i5

also do u have the 1.6ghz i5 right now or do u have last years model 1.4ghz core 2 duo this is very confusing because a 1.6 to 1.7 ghz will be a very minimal speed improvement

5. MickeyVee macrumors member

MickeyVee

When I got my 2011 MBA, I cloned my MBA Rev A via SuperDuper to an external drive. I booted the new machine with with the usb drive attached and ran migration assistant on the new machine pointing to the backup drive.
    Everything was fine with two exceptions.. had to reinstall MS Office 2011 and deregister Photoshop Elements on my old machine an register it on the new one.

6. jmazzamj macrumors regular

First of all please provide exact details about the machines as previous posters have asked.

Now I wonder, do you call yourself a tech savvy and you did clone Windows 7 from a PC to another one? I would never do that in the Windows world and for that reason I was very resilient with Macs as well, and I was wrong, I found out.

You could easily follow these steps:

1. Clone your HD with Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper as suggested (both work fine).
    2. Plug the HD in the new one.
    3. Hold option when you hear the sound.
    4. Select your external, boot it and repeat step 1 to your new drive.

I hope this helps.

7. parcou, Feb 1, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012

parcou thread starter macrumors newbie

May bad...wow getting flamed here...I did say I was new to Apple and I was on my Win7 PC when I typed that so I was wrong on the spec...my bad all

it is a:
    1.4ghz
    Intel Duo Core processor

Sorry for the confusion...I will recheck next time...

Thx

----------

Not to get into Windows stuff here...we do it all the time...Sony PC to HP PC...etc, etc I am a tech engineer for my company but we are all windows but now moving into Apple direction... Read on the Acronis software and you will be corrected and see you can move one PC HAL to another PC HAL with the Universal Restore and if you have all items in place it is a perfect restore...we mainly deal with HP & Lenovo so I move directors around all the time with this process with no issues... Not new news on that been doing it for years with Acronis...

Also, thx for the info I will certainly look into and it and thx again...

8. KPOM macrumors G5

No worries. I wasn't intending to "flame." I just wanted to check to see if you were upgrading from a 2010 or 2011 model. Since you have a 2010, the boost you see will be pretty significant. If it were just from the base 2011 to the 2011 i5 or even i7 with the 256GB SSD, the leap wouldn't be so great.

Good luck with your new MacBook Air!

9. parcou thread starter macrumors newbie

Stupid newbie error...my bad for guessing was traveling on my Win7 PC but at the MBA now....

Pls overlook...thc

----------

No worries and thx for the info. The responses had been helpful it is hard to know which forums join where members are really active.

This helped a lot...

Thx all!

10. robbie12345 macrumors 6502

ok i wasn't trying to flame u i was just trying to understand what model u were coming from and what model u r looking to upgrade to

yes the upgrade from the 1.4 c2d to the i5 will be pretty substantial but the i7 even more i dud not recommend a 64gb sad to anyone because it is just way to small

i dud wait to see what comes next to apple becus that machine u have there is still pretty new

11. jmazzamj macrumors regular

I did not mean to be offensive or anything, sorry for that. I would have reinstalled and I did that whatever hardware I changed in my computers, but may be 7 is different, XP was such a mess and I understand that if you have to deal with dozens or hundreds of computers...

I am fond of Acronis True Image, I used it all the time in Windows (and still do for friends) and I probably have a few XP Pro clones in an HD at home.
    At first I was puzzled and CCC or Super Duper cloning process while in Mac OS X was beyond me, I was literally puzzled, but they have worked every single time (I was mainly experimenting), so I have come to the conclusion that's just the way Mac OS X works.

As far as raw power goes, the difference between 2010 and 2011 is just like night and day. I had a 2010 13" which I gave to my sister and there's no contest, the i5 is a way more powerful, literally 2.5 times as fast in lots of tasks, but when it comes to browsing, email and everyday use (even Fusion XP) I was pretty comfortable with the 2010 model, the SSD makes a real difference (on that topic I have a Samsung drive, she has a Toshiba).

Bye

Clone it and enjoy your new upgraded baby...