Have Macbook Pro. Get a great monitor or add an imac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by brettatredback, Nov 13, 2008.

1. brettatredback macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have the latest 15", high tier (2.53GHz) macbook pro - my first mac - what a machine!!!

So, now i really need either a great, big (24inch) screen for my desk or a 24inch iMac.

For the price of the imac, i could get a great screen plus a lower end macbook for my wife.

I was keen on getting an imac, but looking at the tech specs (i know the imac might be updated in Jan), it made me realize that a great screen will probably do. I know I'll likely be doing some video work, but this macbook pro should be able to handle that.

Any thoughts or advice welcome.

What will I miss out on/sacrifice if I don't get the imac?

thanks!!
    Brett

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Your wife will love you for the new macbook. That's worth more than any personal iMac in my house. :p

3. astudentis macrumors regular

hehe y not just get the imac for ur wife...

anyhow

Screen+macbook = more lovin:p

4. six.four macrumors 6502

nothing says I love you like a new unibody macbook.

5. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

Get the external screen, keyboard, mouse. It will be like having a portable desktop.

6. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

Agreed on the display, keyboard, mouse. Managing files between two computers can be a major hassle to... well... manage :)

7. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

If I had the money, and a wife, I would buy the new 24" LED Apple Cinema Display for myself and the MacBook for my wife. The new display is really nice. I plan to order it the minute it becomes available. Fortunately, or unfortunately, for me I don't have a wife. So, the extra MacBook money would be put into the fund for the next MBP... ha ha.

8. The Hammer macrumors regular

9. brettatredback thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey all - thanks for the informative and funny replies!!! I guess it's the screen which is what i thought the answer might be!

Brett

10. fxstb2002 macrumors member

11. brettatredback thread starter macrumors newbie

somewhat debatable as to 'need'...she mainly just surfs/does email...but her laptop is pretty crap....so, given my macbook pro seems to pretty much be able to handle most things, even video given i put a 7200rpm hdd in it, i'll likely go with the screen and get her something decent too...