Have MBP 2.4Ghz i5 -> Upgrade to Core i7?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Maximus434, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Maximus434 macrumors regular

I'm just throwing this out there to get some opinions.

I have the new 2.4Ghz Core i5 MBP nearly a week now (with an SSD and it's a sweet machine) but I have realised that I would be able to afford the extra €360 in the education store to upgrade to the Core i7 model. I have another week in which I can return this MBP without charge.

But should I? Is it really worth it? I plan on keeping this machine a few years and do mostly light work, browsing, downloading, unraring/unpacking from usenet, a few games (when steam comes out!), movies, photos etc. Basically this is (and will be) my main machine for a good few years.

But is the jump from Core i5 to i7 really worth an extra €360?

2. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

For light use as you stated, not really.
    Put those €360 into a 1TB SSD next year ;D

3. Maximus434 thread starter macrumors regular

Maybe you're right, and I would say that myself only I plan to keep this 3-4 years, and the extra 256mb VRAM may be handy with new Valve game releases aswell.

Leaning towards just keeping this atm. But I can afford to update.

4. Nuak macrumors member

It will make no difference. Just give those 360€ to charity, you will feel better.

5. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

6. TheDane macrumors member

TheDane

Sorry to bump in - I agree that the stated uses probably do not justify the upgrade.

What I am curious about what people think is, what would actually justify this upgrade? ;)

7. jaredm1 macrumors regular

If you use things which don't make use of multiple cores very well then the i7 comes in very handy. An example is compiling java apps.

8. duo peach macrumors newbie

i don't think it worth 360.as you said you use computer just do light work ,there is no need ti upgrade i5 to i7.

9. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

The i5 has turbo boost as well. In fact the big problem with the i7 is that you pay 200$ extra for VRAM that isn't as beneficial for speed gains, and a CPU that is 10% faster but draws an extra 10-14W, even when idle.

The 2.53Ghz IMO is actually the better buy. Longer battery life, cheaper, and only a bit slower than the i7 on average.