Have music on mac but movies on NAS in itunes?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kristoffer4, Jan 27, 2012.

1. kristoffer4 macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

Is it possible to have my music on my mac and all my itunes movies on my NAS?
    And that way stream my movies to the Apple TV 2 via itunes server? :confused:

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I'm sure it's possible, but why not have the movies and music on the NAS server? It's easy enough to copy the music to your Mac(book) if you want to take it with you on the road but an easy solution would be to put everything on the NAS drive.

Right now, I have all my photos and movies on an NAS drive. I don't use iTunes server though. I have a couple of TVs that have "DLNA" built in so I use a DLNA aware NAS drive and can stream music, photos and videos without buying an ATV and I don't have to leave any particular software running on my Mac.

Still, I do plan to at least "test" using iTunes as a server and when I do, I'll have everything on the NAS drive.

3. kristoffer4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

So I can have my media on the NAS and also on my mac?

4. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I was suggesting you have a copy of your music on your Mac. If you listen to it in iTunes, I don't think you can easily switch between the music on the NAS and the music on your Mac. I'll have to investigate when I get a chance as I pretty much have to make the same decision. I plan to run iTunes as a media server on our old G4 Mac mini. The HDD is overfull so all the music MUST be on the NAS.

As for having everything both places, I'm not sure how that would work. There are two shareware programs that come to mind: iTunes Library Manager for $10, and MultiTunes for $15.99. Both are available on MacUpdate. The best option I've seen is called Tunespan and it's free!

5. mfram macrumors 65816

Under the "Advanced" preferences in iTunes, turn off the "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library" option. Then you can double-click on your Movies and add it to iTunes. The file won't be moved, iTunes will reference the file on the NAS.

6. kristoffer4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

Great!
    And I will be able to stream them to Apple TV?

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

8. kristoffer4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4