Have T-Mobile but going to get iphone tomorrow to test AT&T signal

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Siciliano611, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Siciliano611 macrumors regular

I have had t-mobile for almost 2 years now and live in an apartment 10 miles north of downtown Atlanta that gets spotty signal in terms of AT&T. I know this because my girlfriend has an iphone from a few months ago and it would get between 3 bars in some places to 0-1 in others in my apt. I really want the iPhone and so I will KEEP my t-mobile service in tact with my old phone and create a new AT&T account (obviously not porting over the number right now) and have 2 phones tomorrow. The idea is I will test out how well the reception in my apartment is with the iPhone for a week or 2 and see how it is, and if it works well enough I will go back to AT&T to port the t-mobile number over. If it sucks and is spotty I will return the iPhone and pay the restocking fee......Anyone else doing this?

2. Cuprous macrumors member

I am rolling the dice and trying that as well. Currently I have Verizon and works great here in northeast MA & southern NH. I am quite pessimistic that AT&T is going to work but it is worth a chance.

3. 7on macrumors 601

7on

T-mobile and AT&T use the same towers. In fact, if you take out your cell and disable automatic Network switching you can manually select the AT&T tower.
    Granted, that's not the "same" towers, but you could theoretically set it to T-mobile always. I think it would have more to do with the Phone you're using.

The iPhone 3G should get better reception since they're removing the aluminum back.

Also another test to do while testing out AT&T is to call T-mo up and have them unlock your phone (can take up to 48 hours I think for the code to be emailed to you) and you can swap in your AT&T sim to see if it's the phone or tower. Or you could even put your GF's iPhone SIM in your current handset (once your cell is unlocked).