Have the "latest and greatest syndrome"? Come on in!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jetblk328i, Feb 23, 2011.

1. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

I have a serious case of latest and greatest syndrome regarding the new macbook pro.

My 2.4 2010 13" with ssd has no problems meeting my everyday needs, yet I still want the new 2011 to the point where I have placed an ad on craigslist and am responding to interested parties.

Anyone else here suffering from the same problem?

lol i suspect 75% of MR users have this problem.

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I have a 2006 MBP and feel no urge to replace it :)

3. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

Me too ;( except i cant afford the difference of selling mine and buying a new one

4. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

Depending on the real-specs, I might pass on the upgrade, but if it is a decent upgrade in the 13" I might buy one, then see what I can do with my old one...

5. bvanstaa macrumors newbie

Love it. No other computer in the world can claim that kind of loyalty--or get that kind of billing--after five years in the wild. :)

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I'm skipping this upgrade because the one after it is going to be the one where Apple throws everything we all want into the package.

Yeah, I went there :cool:.

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yeah, it's a good testament, isn't it?

8. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

I have the late-2009 model and I am getting the new model. I actually have been saving my money for a bit. Bought Apple Gift Cards so that I couldn't spend the money on anything else...

Of course I do have another reason for getting the new model. My gf, who has never owned a Mac, is dying to take over my current model.

2 points for the conversion, right guys? :p

9. deeesea macrumors 6502

NOES!!!! but whyyyy. now this forum will be cluttered with "should I wait for the next refresh?" threads.

Can we get this sticky-ed instead of having a million threads about "hey i need _____ and ________ hsould i buy the 201X 1X'' MBP or should I wait until 201X and buy the revision?". Honestly the lsat month, there hwasn't been a single day where a new thread about buying now or refreshing hasn't come up.

10. mark28 macrumors 68000

:p

A Dual core Sandy Bridge won't be able to run much larger sessions than this Arrendale does, it's not worth the money for me..

So why bother upgrading now when next year is the one that will offer a serious performance bump?

But maybe Apple will suprise me and puts Quad Core Sandy Bridges in it. But it's not something I'll gamble my MBP on as it seems they will use Dual cores again.

11. mdgm macrumors 6502a

I'll really want to get the new Mac, but I'll probably stick with my current one (can't afford to upgrade every time and my current MacBook still runs O.K. but it's a bit slow). I want a faster Mac for the extra performance and to be able to run Windows 7 64-bit as a VM.

However there are some things I really want the new Mac to have that I don't think it will:

1. Quad-Core processor
    2. Ability to upgrade beyond 8GB RAM (e.g. to 16GB) - Probably wouldn't want to do this now, but would want to be able to do this in a few years without having to buy another new Mac
    3. USB 3.0 ports to replace the USB 2.0 ports
    4. Blu-ray (well I think Apple may never add this, but it'd be nice)

Basically I want to get a Mac that will last me another 3-5 years. If it doesn't have all the features in my first three points, then I have strong doubts that it'll last me as long as I want it to.

12. smallnshort247 macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

I had it. I wanted my first Mac for 3 years and once I finally got a 2008 Unibody MacBook as my graduation gift, the 2009 model came out 30 days later. They changed the name to MacBook Pro (for the 13 inch), made the price cheaper, upped the specs, made ram upgradeable to 8gb etc. I was sick to my stomach. The worst part was that I knew I should of paid attention to sites like these but knew if I passed up the chance to get the Mac at that time, there was a chance I wouldn't get one at all. Latest and greatest syndrome got me so bad that I ended up selling that perfectly good Mac around a year later and then bought the 15 inch 2010 i5 MacBook Pro around 30 days after it was launched. I'd say that cured my latest and greatest syndrome!

I also maxed out the RAM on my i5 MBP and upgraded the HDD so it's probably one of the fastest computers I've ever used period. I think I'm going to hold on to this Mac for awhile and save up for a Mac Pro in the next few years!

13. Gr80Likes2Boogi macrumors regular

Nermal has me beat, but I have a late '08 uMBP, 2.8 core2 is my first mac and I can easily see it staying with me for 3, 4, 5 more years? Barring anything catastrophic, of course *knock on wood*

But then again, I am an audio engineer so as Logic and Pro Tools continue to evolve, I know I'll have to. Maybe won't get that much mileage for work, but for pleasure? Psh. I love this guy.

14. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Still rocking my early 2008 15" MacBook Pro and feel no need to upgrade. I got over the "latest and greatest syndrome" a few years ago.

15. mdgm macrumors 6502a

That is one major reason which I forgot to mention which holds me back from buying the new MBP I want. A Mac Pro would be an awesome desktop machine to have.

16. acedickson macrumors 6502a

acedickson

Ha, should we start the "I'm disappointed with this refresh, when can we expect the liquid metal, USB 3.0, lightning bolt, Core i9 (joking), are they out yet?" thread?

17. jchase2057 macrumors regular

Im using a g4 ibook as my main computer at the moment. Works fine for imovie hd, ripping dvds with handbrake, transmission for torrents and all other day to day activities. I used to have an 07 macbook but sold it a little ways back. Been using ppc ever since. The new mbp doesnt interest me as my needs are not that demanding. I will jump back to intel eventually as its inevitable for all of us but out of the 9 macs ive owned i only bought the macbook new and that is most likely a one time thing.

18. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

How fast is the iBook G4 running on Leopard for you? (Nice computer by the way :cool:)

19. jchase2057 macrumors regular

Thank you. It runs leopard nicely. Id say its about the same as tiger. I just maxed out the ram last week. Before that it had 640mb. It ran decent but its a definite improvement with the 1gb stick in there. Ive had it a few months now and have spent 250 total. 100 for the ibook which came with a great battery and airport extreme. 100 for the hard drive. 20 for a new keyboard and 30 for the ram. Not worth the money to some but its nice to push older machines as far as you can.

20. GadgetAddict macrumors 6502

What...? :confused:

21. jchase2057 macrumors regular

Im sorry im not sure what you didnt understand. I was asked how my computer handled leopard.

22. GadgetAddict macrumors 6502

My bad, I misunderstood. My post should be deleted.

23. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

I'm still paying for the latest and greatest Hackintosh that I built last summer...