Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
Background: I am looking to get rid of my 15" Macbook Pro 'classic'. It has good specs: 2.4GHz C2D, 500GB HD, 4GB RAM, matte, and its best feature is that its in amazinglyawesomefantastic condition (seriously, keyboard cover used since day 1 so no oils, case is perfect, its been babied :) ). So I tossed it up on craigslist for the Twin Cities, Minnesota (which is a very active craigslist). I got a few nibbles, but no bites. And I was asking a very fair, and I would argue low price for this system.

Has the availability of a 15" Macbook Pro @ $1700 hurt the sales of 'classic' Macbook Pro's that are arguably better spec'd? Has anyone else run into trouble trying to sell their 15" classics? I don't NEED to sell mine so I refuse to accept some of the absolutely insane offers people have given me on craigslist, but I have gotten comments attached to the offers that say things like "I saw your price of $1200 for the Macbook Pro. You can get a new one for $1700 so I find your asking of $1200 to be unreasonable. I can give you $650 cash today, let me know."

Or am I alone on this (which wouldn't surprise me either)?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
You're not alone and to offer $650 for a machine like that is an insult.

I think that this whole latest and now not really greatest attitude people have taken on is stupid.

Stand by your $1200 price.

..Ryan..

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
agreed, that is a great machine, and a good price. i would stand by it also, eventually you will get a serious buyer who will enjoy the machine for what it is, a beast, a classic beast :)

Xil3

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2007
London
Background: I am looking to get rid of my 15" Macbook Pro 'classic'. It has good specs: 2.4GHz C2D, 500GB HD, 4GB RAM, matte, and its best feature is that its in amazinglyawesomefantastic condition. So I tossed it up on craigslist for the Twin Cities, Minnesota (which is a very active craigslist). I got a few nibbles, but no bites. And I was asking a very fair, and I would argue low price for this system.

Has the availability of a 15" Macbook Pro @ $1700 hurt the sales of 'classic' Macbook Pro's that are arguably better spec'd? Has anyone else run into trouble trying to sell their 15" classics? I don't NEED to sell mine so I refuse to accept some of the absolutely insane offers people have given me on craigslist, but I have gotten comments attached to the offers that say things like "I saw your price of $1200 for the Macbook Pro. You can get a new one for $1700 so I find your asking of $1200 to be unreasonable. I can give you $650 cash today, let me know."

$650 is like a spit in the face - you could easily get 800-1000 pounds for that machine in the UK.

Asking $1200 is a very reasonable price! Stick by it....

amoda

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
Honestly....$1200 is asking a bit much. I wouldn't go as low as $650, more like $900-1000.

If I was shopping around, I'd completely skip over your offer and look for a used previous gen unibody. You can find the 2.4s for $1200-$1300.

Edit: If you're patient enough you might find a "must-have-matte" person who'd be willing to pay the $1200. Also, I like the keyboard of the classic mbp more :-(

uberamd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
Well its glad to hear my asking price is reasonable. There are so many people on craigslist that try to lowball you and ask between $500-800 for the system. Forget that. Someone even offered to trade me a used, 37" LCD tv. I swear there are lots of people on craigslist who try to get amazing deals off of stupid people.

Sonicjay

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
Background: I am looking to get rid of my 15" Macbook Pro 'classic'. It has good specs: 2.4GHz C2D, 500GB HD, 4GB RAM, matte, and its best feature is that its in amazinglyawesomefantastic condition (seriously, keyboard cover used since day 1 so no oils, case is perfect, its been babied :) ). So I tossed it up on craigslist for the Twin Cities, Minnesota (which is a very active craigslist). I got a few nibbles, but no bites. And I was asking a very fair, and I would argue low price for this system.

I sold mine for $1300 on craigslist after buying a 13" MBP, and the folks were very happy about the price. It had Applecare as well. If they don't like your price, they can get lost. Don't go for it.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
I sold mine for $1300 on craigslist after buying a 13" MBP, and the folks were very happy about the price. It had Applecare as well. If they don't like your price, they can get lost. Don't go for it.

Thats probably my problem, I don't have Apple Care. The hard drive and the memory both have 3rd party warranties, but there is no Apple Care on the system. It has been so reliable, after a year of ownership (I have had it for ~13 months) I decided not to get AC. The machine just runs great.

Vulcan

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
I just sold my white MacBook on Craiglist to make up for the cost of my unibody MBP. It takes time and wasn't too fun of an experience either, mainly lowballers and scammers. Selling stuff on there was never this bad before... probably the economy.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
I just sold my white MacBook on Craiglist to make up for the cost of my unibody MBP. It takes time and wasn't too fun of an experience either, mainly lowballers and scammers. Selling stuff on there was never this bad before... probably the economy.

Yeah I'm sure the economy has something to do with it. Too bad I cant access the marketplace here for another 5 months (despite having 1,050 posts :( ) I'll just have to keep at it.

fr4c

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2007
Hamster wheel
The market is out there, you just have to be patient. I recently sold the same spec-ed 2.4Ghz for $1500, and another 2.2Ghz for $1100. Granted they both had about a year of Applecare left on each machine, so that might've helped. Like you a ton of low-ballers and people asking me to ship to Nigeria :rolleyes:

Hang in there, definitely don't sell it for less that it's worth.

ljx718

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2008

i sold the same exact machine a couple of weeks ago at $1150 with in an hour. They paid cash in 20's (didnt have to worry about fake hundreds). couldnt ask for a better transaction. Remember to meet at a public place!

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I guess the states isn't as crazy as Canada. Searching for the early-2008 MacBook Pro a few weeks ago, they were selling anywhere from $1500-1800, haven't done a recent search so I don't know how much that's changed. To be honest, if it wasn't for the god damn 8600M GT, I would've got one off CL rather than going for the unibody. Some might say, you have Apple's program but I'd figure, why risk it if you know something bad could and would happen - saves me the headache. Although the unibody look is awesome, I'd still prefer the early-2008 MacBook Pro's.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
I'd say $1200 sounds like a good price. Remember the resale has also deteriorated slightly due to the potentially dodgy graphics. If someone offers you $650 tell them to GTFO.

srexy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2006
Just be patient - the right buyer will come along.

I sold my 15" classic 2.33ghz 3gb ram 320gb/7200rpm for $1100 last week and it was in only average/good condition. I had it on Ebay and didn't even get close to my reserve - Craigslist is the t*ts!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.