Have there been any rumors on a new Airport Extreme?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Whorehay, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

I'm looking to get a router with better range and the Airport Extreme is at the top of my list since I've already got an older Airport Express to add to the mix.

I was looking at Amazon and they've got a 2-5 week delay on it, and a few retailers have it discounted slightly from the retail price of $179. Since the Airport Express just came out with a new version, are we looking for a new Extreme, maybe when the iPhone is released in September?

2. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

i believe the rumor for the next update was to add 802.11ac. Apple will likely add this specification to the macs in 2013 and a new airport lineup to match. However the current airport lineup are very capable routers. unless you plan on buying a new mac in the next ~2-3 years i would say the current airport lineup is fine to buy one from. 802.11ac will add more speed and range but most peoples network speed will not come close to that of the ac spec. the range is nice though :)

3. hafr macrumors 68030

I have the AEBS 4th gen and an early 2011 13" MBP. Even when I'm running 5 GHz and as strong signal strength as I can, I rarely break 150-160 Mbps. Do you know if it's the router or the network card that is the bottle neck here?

I'm thinking for future reference, it'd be good to know what would be the more important thing to upgrade (since I do everything little by little) :)

4. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

im not sure. because your network card is capable of 450 Mbps http://www.broadcom.com/products/Wireless-LAN/802.11-Wireless-LAN-Solutions/BCM4331

your router is also capable of 300 Mbps. my guess would be some sort of interference. if i may ask, what is your max network speed from your ISP. also is there any other wireless devices on the network?

5. hafr macrumors 68030

Oh, my internet is far from that fast :) I max out my 30-something Mbps constantly. It's transfers within my home network I'm talking about.

I get between 40-70 MBps transfer speeds to/from my NAS when using ethernet cable, so there should be no bottle neck there. I've performed enough tests to exclude any kind of interference as well. Some people say half of the theoretical max is good, but others claim they're getting 270-300 Mbps out of the same setup...

6. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

i wish i could help you more. i have that exact same problem. i have tried all sorts of things to find a bottleneck but cannot. at my house it takes about 13 min to transfer a 1 GB movie over to my laptop from my external drive plugged into an airport extreme. thats with only maybe 1 or 2 other devices connected.