Have to post this because of all the iPhone hate on the forums lately.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spiderman0616, Jul 17, 2012.

1. batting1000 macrumors 604

That's funny because more people say they want a smaller screen.

2. Meanee macrumors 6502a

Looks like people who have to defend iPhone here are vast majority. Do you really give a damn about people being bored? If you like it, use the damn thing. If other people are bored, they can use something else.

3. Calidude macrumors 68000

Calidude

Nobody has ever disputed that. :rolleyes:

Let's see how those stats change after the iPhone 5 goes on sale.

4. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

OP basically people are stupid.

We are the only species that actively sh**s in our own food bowl (planet) are you really surprised that there are people who whine about tech being boring while they sit in their air conditioned homes and read on RSS feeds about the Middle East and still feel they have things to bi*** about?

5. jdlindsey7 macrumors regular

I take a survey of 400 people with a grain of salt. That is effectively 0.0000128% of the population in the US! I read an article last week that polled 500 people in NYC and they expect the windows phone to own 30% of the market by 2015 based on their results. Let's be careful and not over analyze a survey of such a small number of people.

6. RenoG macrumors 65816

+1

and then come on these forums and engage in heated debates over who's phone is better...

7. spiderman0616 thread starter macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

If that was a logical theory, Nokia wouldn't be tanking right now.

8. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

iOS marketshare grows and grows!

My iPhone feels new everytime I load a new app. ;)

9. Six8 macrumors 65816

Six8

Where else am I gonna poop??

10. spiderman0616 thread starter macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I don't load a whole lot of new apps on my iPhone and iPad anymore--that's not to say I don't USE a lot of apps. (I think I have 123 currently on my iPad, and that's after a recent clean up session too).

BUT, that's because I have both devices set up exactly the way they need to be for my daily routine. When a new app comes out that I have to have, my daily routine may get completely reinvented. When the device itself is just a pane of glass, that's the kind of stuff that can happen.

What I don't get is people saying they're bored with it. If you're bored with iOS, then you should be bored with every other mobile OS too, except for Windows Phone, because it's the newest one. Android is in refinement mode now too. Both OS are mature now and both are just going to keep evolving until we decide there's another type of hardware other than a phone that we'd rather use. (Google Glass for example?)

I do now remember around this time last year--the haters started coming out of the woodwork. New iPhone model releases spawn both Apple fanatics and Apple haters.

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

I was going to say...

"The survey gathered responses from 400 people in the U.S. (Minnesota, New York, California) and Asia (China, South Korea). Among them, 348 owned smartphones, 51 owned feature phones, and one didn't own a cell phone of any sort."

Interesting choice of places. Where's Europe? Japan? South America. Oz and NZ. The entire rest of the USA. Et al.

I'm a long time admirer of Piper-Jaffray articles, and this one seems slim. But then, their point was only that a certain amount of sales was "guaranteed".

12. Skika macrumors 68030

Apparently you should poop in space.

13. Tones2 macrumors 65816

Bottom line is that the OS's - iOS vs Android is a somewhat irrelevant discussion. Both are good enough and now not all that different, except maybe iOS is slightly easier and more fluid and Android is more customizable. But the difference are still pretty small.

Also, it used to be that Apple was heads and tails above the Android market in it's ecosystem. Well, I just switched over to Android and there was only one major catagory of apps that I could not find a direct replacement for (guitar amp modeling). All of the others I found an equal or better app for, and I have like 100+ apps loaded. And music and videos are not an issue.

Where there is still a WIDE gap is screen size and removable storage. The iPhone currently has a 3.5" screen and may go only to a 4" screen next round. And the iPhone maxes out at 64GB which I'm sure ill be the case for at least the iPhone 5 geberation. If the 3.5" screen and max 64GB storage works for people, then they are going to be happy with their iPhone. If not, they are going to move to Android as I did.

A survey about whether people are going to buy the next iPhone when most of those people don't even know what even the RUMORS are on what the next iPhone will be is very ridiculous.:rolleyes: It really doesn't say anything about anything.

14. trouble747 macrumors 6502

Most national surveys are conducted with sample sizes of slightly over 1,000 people. This survey only involved three states, making the numbers more than sufficient.

When conducted correctly, a random survey can determine opinions accurately with over 90% confidence, within a margin of error.

15. spiderman0616 thread starter macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Ugh--so it is official. Time to ignore this forum until after the new iPhone comes out. Every thread turns into an Android discussion. I don't come here to talk about the merits of Android.

16. trouble747 macrumors 6502

Wait, you don't come to the "iPhone" forum on the "macrumors.com" website to read about Android??

17. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

It'll subside. The same thing happened when the Nexus was announced way back, along with ICS. Same for the SII, and one of the HTC models from Sprint [can't remember the name]. All were before the next iPhone release, and how those were better, and if somehow the next iPhone didn't have the same specs/features/etc., Apple would be doomed, and people would be leaving the iPhone.

Same thing will happen around the first of the year. iPhone 5 [or whatever it'll be called] will be out, and the new Samsung S V, or new Nexus with Jellybean will be announced, and it'll start all over again.

18. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

400 person survey is a joke when talking about national surveys. Anything less than 1067 people increases the margin of error significantly. Not to mention, survey results can easily be manipulated depending on geographic region, demographics, and survey questions.

For example, if someone calls and asks you, "Do you want an iPhone as your next smartphone?" out of the 400 people surveyed, 300 said yes. So now, I have a survey that I can say equates to 75% of people in the US will buy an iphone next.
    Additionally, if I limit my 'random' calling to Wall Street in New York and Beverly Hills in LA, I can manipulate the results.
    By the way, only polling 400 people gives you a margin of error of 5%, meaning a 10% swing. In terms of surveys, this is a joke.

This is not to say that people don't want the iphone or that more people will buy Android over iOS smartphones, just that this survey is useless.

Surveys was a pre-req for my major in college.

19. trouble747 macrumors 6502

It's not a national survey, as both my post and the linked article indicate. I also took statistics. :)

(And I have no idea how accurate this particular survey is because I (a) don't care, and (b) don't know the methodology behind it. My point was only that discounting a survey based on the number of respondents vs. the population as a whole doesn't make any sense (i.e., there are 300+ million people in the country but they only talked to a few!)).

20. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

“There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.”

-Mark Twain aka Samuel Clemens

21. burnside macrumors 6502

From that chart, it shows that those with iPhones prefer a smaller screen while those with Androids prefer the larger screen.

22. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

Just to add to the Android discussion:

I used to have a Galaxy SII... The thing I didn't like was not the Android OS, but the touch screen itself and some of the apps. The screen was big and beautiful and I liked that, but the touch screen did not seem to be as good as the iPhone.

It also felt like the apps did not run smoothly on the SII like they did on my iPhone when I had them on both phones.

23. batting1000 macrumors 604

That's what I was referring to.

24. Cartaphilus macrumors 6502a

Smartphones, tablets, computers--they're all just tools designed to allow humans to accomplish something important to them in the real world. Complaining that your iPhone is no longer sufficiently entertaining is like whining about no longer being fascinated by your hammer.

Go out and find a goal to accomplish: learn a foreign language, bird calls, astronomy, ham radio, backpacking, weightlifting, travel, gardening, anything---there are apps for all these real-world interests and for dozens more. Better yet, find something to do with your time that makes somebody else's life better--find a charitable organization to volunteer for--the Scouts, your religious institution, Habitat for Humanity, Livestrong, Goodwill--they all need volunteers, and any of these activities will provide plenty of opportunities to use your gadgets to enhance your effectiveness.

When you're using technology to help you accomplish something important to you you'll never be bored using it; if you use technology simply to see what it can do that the technology of the day before couldn't, you'll always become bored.

It gets to be like taking a thirteen year-old into a toy store--he loves the idea of going there, he walks in all excited about replicating the thrill he always used to have when receiving a new toy, but soon enough he begins to realize that play toys are just not so fascinating anymore. And that's when you know that your little boy is growing up.