Have to send back rMBP...stuck pixel in middle of display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ckeck, Jul 11, 2012.

1. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

I've been wrestling with the decision on whether to keep an Ultimate 13" Air or my 16GB + 512GB rMBP which is an incredible machine. So much so that it's caused a fair amount of stress over the past 2-3 weeks :eek:

Well looks like my decision got made for me. Posting here to give everyone a heads up. The other day I noticed a red stuck pixel in the middle of my rMBP screen (on white background). They are not as easy to notice on the retina display unless you are up closer. Anything more than arms length and you probably cannot notice it at all.

I don't think this is a widespread issue or anything more than the traditional display, except maybe being 4x more likely. Just a note check your displays closely. I don't feel like paying over $3k to have a red dot smack in the middle. If it was off in a corner I might not care so much but now I see it every time to look at it. Oh well...

The screen isn't even in the same league (detail, contrast, viewing angle, etc) as the retina but I'm rather enjoying the Air at the moment. It's going to blow for gaming (comparatively speaking). Holding out MAYBE for a 2nd gen 15" retina or a 13" retina for sure if it has a decent processor/RAM option and some sort of discreet GPU. Please Apple :)

2. 01mggt macrumors 6502

It sounds like you will not be happy with the Air after spending so much time with the rmbp. Why not just get the rmbp replaced free of charge for that stuck pixel? Then you can keep the computer you really want and it will be fixed?

3. ckeck thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Been using the Air for two days and while it's no RMBP it's pretty nice. Really trying to give myself the change to actually experience the smaller footprint. Also figured I'd send this retina with the stuck pixel back and use the Air for a few weeks to really know how much I like or dislike and worst case I'll sell it myself and simply order another RMBP. Maybe bump up to the 2.7 processor in the mean time.

Part of this decision will also depend if a new compelling iMac is released. If it's the same old iMac I may just stick with a RMBP as a full desktop replacement. If it's big I might pick one up and opt for a smaller laptop.

Too many damn decisions...also I don't care for full screen replacements in a store. Would rather just get a new machine even if I was keeping it.