Have to Turn Wi-Fi on, then off, then on to make it work...Help?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by sportsfrk214, Sep 30, 2008.

1. sportsfrk214 macrumors 6502a

I bought my 2G iPod Touch a couple weeks ago. It's been great, except for one problem.

With my first gen Touch, I always kept the Wi-Fi off when I wasn't using it. When I wanted to use it, I turned it on, and it worked, no problems.

But now with my 2G, I'm experiencing a weird problem. When I go to turn my Wi-Fi on, it connects to a network (for example, the one in my house), and the little checkmark goes up, but the Wi-Fi signal does not go on in the upper left corner, and the Internet does not work. However, if I then turn Wi-Fi off, then back on again, the Wi-Fi signal goes on, and I get superfast internet, and as long as I keep the Wi-Fi on, it works flawlessly.

This is odd. I'd say 80% of the time, I have to turn it on, off, then on to make the Wi-Fi signal show up. The other 20%, on, off, on, off, then on. I thought maybe it was my home network, but I experienced this problem using other Wi-Fi signals that I never had problems with with my 1G. Like I said, once the signal comes up, I'm 100% set, I just don't understand why I have to turn it on and off to get it to work.

2. ChristopheJD macrumors regular

I have this problem all the time. I'm not too bothered by it though, as long as the iPod works.

3. FaScO, Sep 30, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  4. sportsfrk214 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok well it's good to know other people are having the problem, seems like something that will be fixed via a software update. I find it annoying but maybe thats because I owned a 1G Touch for 10+ months and never encountered it.

5. BennyK macrumors 6502

6. nohite macrumors member

I haave the same problem and do the same thing. I also click the arrow on the right to check the details. If the IP address shows up you know you are connected.

7. natezire71 Guest

Just about to post on this... I have the same problem. HOPEFULLY a software update will fix it.

8. archi17 macrumors regular

I have this problem too! I had to do it like 5 times just before to get it to work.

9. johngaltjr macrumors newbie

Me too. Same problem. My son told me to try leaving the wifi on all the time- it doesn't seem to affect battery life much- if at all. This *seems* to solve the problem at hotspots or airport networks (like at Starbucks or friend's houses) but I haven't verified this over the long haul yet. Try it out.

Now if I could only share my internet connection over AirPort from my MBA like I used to be able to do, I'd be completely happy with my new touch 2G. Grrr. :D

10. yorkshire macrumors 6502a

yorkshire

I too have this problem. Obviously it's an issue Apple needs to acknowledge with this many people experiencing the same problem.

11. duncyboy macrumors 6502a

I have this problem 80% of the time too. I blamed it on the free Router my ISP gave me but now I know better.

Everyone who's replied to this thread, file a bug report with Apple if you haven't already and hopefully they'll get it sorted :)

12. deejayspinz Guest

+1 same problem here.. We are not alone folks... Lots of others have this same issue... Fingers cross for a fix @ next update...

13. Obama macrumors member

14. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

15. dagored macrumors 65816

Try going to Settings --> Reset--> Reset Network Settings. Select that and see if the problem goes away.

16. Obama macrumors member

Thanks.^^^^ So far your suggestion has helped.

17. archurban macrumors 6502a

archurban

well, network reset is only one time solution. next time when you connect with wifi whatever is on private or public, this problem comes back. I think that something is wrong on wifi software. so Apple will update to fix it soon. I heard that it will be coming this month.

18. /V\acpower macrumors 6502a

Exactly the same problem.

Work only if i "forget" the network then connect again.

Annoying for sure.

19. Obama macrumors member

20. MySaturdaySelf macrumors member

+1 same problem here. but only experience it at home when i use my router (dlink wbr2310), no problem at campus wireless network.

21. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

Hi everyone. I had that problem with my 2G iPhone with 1.1.4. When 2.0 was ready, I updated and it was fixed. So I'm sure that that can get fixed easily with an update. Cheers. :)

22. ItouchMe macrumors regular

ItouchMe

I have the same freaking problem...it's not too bad...it's kind of like a daily thing that I have gotten used to, but I really hope they fix this in the next update cause this is definitley retarded

23. GCY macrumors regular

I fixed this problem by doing a full restore. Its too bad because I did the restore after I called apple to return the touch(claimed it was defective). Really, I wanted to return because I went back to the iphone.:D

24. ItouchMe macrumors regular

ItouchMe

Hey guys CGY is right! It does work but unfortunately you cannot restore and use your old backup. I first restored then told then to use my backup and it didn't work. Then i restored it and set up a new ipod and it fixed my problem!!! So thats the facts...if you want to get rid of the annoying wifi thing then take sometime up and setup a new ipod!:D:D:D

25. Raytheon117 macrumors newbie

Yep. Same thing here. I ususally go from university to my house's network and need to do the same thing with my 2nd Gen. Now I just keep it on all the time and sleep my iPod if necessary. It would be nice for an update but it doesnt bother me much.