Have unlimited AT&T but moving to Verizon LTE

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Kadath, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Kadath macrumors regular

So my new Verizon LTE iPad shipped as anticipated last week and I'm getting ready to box up my iPad2 to ship back to Gazelle. I'm grandfathered on AT&T with unlimited data plan but Verizon is much more reliable and available in my areas (NY/NJ and MD). I'm moving to Vz with no regrets. But I have a few Qs:

Is there a way to transfer this plan to someone else who wants AT&T so they continue to get the benefit of my grandfathered unlimited data?

If there is no way to transfer it, how big a PITA is it to keep the old plan, and can I upgrade it to unlimited 4g for the same price? It might be worth me keeping going for a family member who wouldn't mind AT&T...

I've seen the videos where folks are putting the AT&T sim in and getting 3G service, it looks like both a bit of a hassle and requires a bit of shady manipulation if not an outright jailbreak. If I was to pay for both the Vz LTE plan and keep paying for the AT&T unlimited plan how big a PITA is it to swap back and forth between the sims as needed?

Thanks for any input, I know it's a bit of a crazy question but I'm sure there's at least a few folks in the same boat...

2. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

I've read people are selling the SIMs for good money. I'm not sure how you do it but I'm sure a search of the threads here will come up with one that explains it all.

3. ano0oj macrumors 6502

Can't transfer, if you want to keep it you'll have to continue paying for the plan under your number. Meaning...you can go to Verizon and keep the unlimited AT&T plan if you get a brand new number with Verizon.

AT&T will do anything to get people off that plan, I say give the plan/number to someone in your family because having unlimited data is awesome for that price

4. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

yes, they sell for big bucks on ebay.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/iPad-Unlimi...?pt=US_Tablet_Accessories&hash=item4cff79a099

5. magbarn macrumors 68000

That's crazy money for something that AT&T can easily take away with absolutely no legal ramifications as it's not a contract. As more and more of the unlimited sims are being used in LTE iPads and with some members here already bragging about burning through 10gb in one month, it's only a matter of time...

6. Kadath thread starter macrumors regular

Hrm. If I could just transfer it to a friend or colleague who would appreciate it that would be enough for me. I don't want to get into a big AT&T hassle with an ebay sale... Will have to research more, if it's as simple as me changing the contact email and having someone else put their credit card info in I might do it...

7. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

I think that's it. Change the credit card, change the contact info, swap sims, done.

8. socaltyger macrumors newbie

I sold my unlimited AT&T plan when I first upgraded from the iPad 1 to the 2nd iPad. It's as easy as was posted. Swap account info and credit card, done.

You can even use a prepaid credit card. Before sending the sim card to the winning bidder, I put in the prepaid credit card info just so my own personal CC would not be displayed.

9. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Yes, it's easy. Log into your acct at: https://dcp2.att.com/OEPNDClient/. Update the IMEI and ICCID info on file to reflect the new iPad. Then, have them change the CC info to reflect their card. Also have them change the pw and login ID. Done.

10. Kadath thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I may do that. Appreciate the link. A number of people have PMed me about selling the account, I want to reiterate that's not what I'm looking to do even if it could net me some nice cash. I really just want to transfer this to someone I know and be done with it, in case AT&T somehow puts the kibosh on it rather than a sale.

11. Kadath thread starter macrumors regular

If I change the account information to reference their IMEI and other details do I even need to swap sims? My own iPad2 is off to Gazelle as soon as I finish this transfer (maybe even before) but I am holding on to my SIM card if needed.