Have until the 3rd to decide on iPhone AppleCare+

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jasper84, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Jasper84 macrumors regular

Here's the info paid $600 for a new iPhone 4s 64 gb AT&T. I jailbroke it and using straight talk. I have the original AppleCare not + it's hasn't been used or activated I paid $40 for it a few days ago. I don't see myself keeping the 4s for longer than a year or less if I decide to get the iPhone 5. at some point I'll sell on eBay or Craigslist. currently waiting on AT&T for a unlock. so like the title of the post says I have until August 3rd to decide if I want to add AppleCare+ or just use the older version of AppleCare. I'm asking about this because I'd like sell it at some point. Id like to break even or profit a little on the sell. thoughts ideas imput how well do you think I did on overall price I paid etc thanks ;)

2. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

I sold an iPad on eBay that had AppleCare time remaining on it. It seemed to help my profits on the phone compared to ones without, but not where near breaking even...

Here is why: Plenty of people do not care about warranties, which is why they never buy them. A lot of people do not know that AppleCare is tied to the serial number and sticks with the phone, even if it moves to a new owner. And some people will not believe you even if you tell them this. You may want to include a screen shot of that policy in your auction if you use eBay (regarding AppleCare and the serial number). It could help.

From my experience, Best Buy Mobile has a better warranty than Apple, and you can pay month to month (which is better in case you sell the phone).

3. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Unless you're the type of person who regularly drops or is overly rough on their phones, AppleCare + isn't worth it.

As for selling it, you *might* see a few more dollars in the end if you had a year's worth of warranty vs. someone who doesn't, but it certainly wouldn't be enough to cover the cost of AppleCare +

4. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

If you only plan to have it a year or less, do not bother. If you buy applecare+ and replace in once in that year, It will cost you $150 ($99 for applecare up front + a $50 deductible). If you do not get applecare and you break it, it will cost you $200 to replace it via an out of warranty repair....you may even get a good "genius" who will out right replace it for free. Save the $99 and if it happens to break just pay the extra $50 that not getting applecare+ would cost.

5. Jasper84 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks I think the last time I broke a cell phone was 7 years ago lol well I left it in my jeans pocket and some one threw them in the wash thanks guys for the info any thoughts on the AppleCare old version not + someone mentioned that it can be added to your iPhone with in 1 year of the original warranty I have it I paid $40 for it a few days ago it's not activated yet so I can return it sell it or just added it to my 4s a little closer to the end of the original warranty. I'm gonna check out best buy too thanks again for the help

6. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Irregardless of what you do, you almost certainly won't break even, let alone profit on the deal. You will likely come close to breaking even though. As far as Apple Care+, it doesn't seem to add value, at least not anywhere I have looked.

7. irDigital0l Guest

8. Jasper84 thread starter macrumors regular

I can live with that lol this is my first iPhone it really is a amazing device the jailbreak urban dictionary mod for Siri is hysterically funny if I can I'll add a screen capture as example but I'm immature and easly entertained lol thanks for the info haha I've had siri define more vulgar terms but I figured I'd keep it pg 13 lol

Attached Files:

9. davidra macrumors 6502

Only other marginal advantage: if you can't do without your phone and you have to replace it, they will send a replacement before yours gets back to them. If you have Applecare+ there is no charge for that service; if you don't it's $30. I thought about it for a while and ended up getting it, but I suspect it was not worth it in my particular case. Really depends on the individual. I'm on the water most weekends, take a lot pics and in spite of a Lifeproof case, water damage is a possibility so I was willing to risk it.

10. Jasper84 thread starter macrumors regular

Did you see this ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtsSPZCGmuY

11. davidra macrumors 6502

12. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

question about lifeproof....do they pay for your phone if it is water damaged while in their case.

13. Jasper84 thread starter macrumors regular

I don't blame you I watched the life proof vid too the other company keeps repeating that your phone should never come in contact with liquid and no were not responsible for damage of your device it was kinda cool though it playing a video submerged thanks again for the help