Have we agreed upon the "best" MBP cooler and has anyone tried the Zephyr?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rawdawg, Jul 2, 2009.

1. rawdawg macrumors 6502

Pretty self explanatory. There's lots of threads on coolers. Of all the threads I've seen either it doesn't work or it worked 10 degrees F (which isn't really that much is it?)

I primarily use my 17" brand-new uMBP for FCP and other CPU intense applications. Using compressor right now and CPU is at 85 degrees C (where it will stay for the duration of my render, which is 5 hours).

In threads I've heard people say you should worry about anything over 80 degrees C but they must be just surfing the web. There's no way to keep it that low when using 90% CPU. Heck, my fans aren't even above 3500rpm.

Still, I have my MBP sitting on top of some empty DVD cases to allow more air underneath and keep it off the table it makes hot. I took off my moshi clearguard to let the keyboard breath.

If I had a personal pocket fan I'm sure that would be just as good sitting it under the MBP raised by wood or whatever. I wouldn't mind a stand to bring it to the level of my 24" Dell.

2. friareunuch macrumors member

right now, i'm just using my iLap as my cooler. seems like all "laptop coolers" fall into two categories - something low tech that puts air under the laptop, and something with fans.

i don't want anything that makes noise. i've been wondering if there are any cooling pads out there that actually just make a cold surface to sit the computer on. would probably be more expensive, but i'd be willing to pay a premium for effective, silent cooling.

3. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Have you installed a fan control application to kick the fans into high gear to cool the laptop more effectively?

4. ..Ryan.. macrumors member

if you want something the gets it up to your external displays height just get a stand like the elevator or the m stand. then if you think you still need more ventilation get an old pc case fan (small one) and cut and strip the wires, do the same to a usb extension cord, twist the appropriate wires together, tape up with elec. tape, plug into a usb hub or something, and you have a working usb fan :)

5. ..Ryan.. macrumors member