Have we ever had a president as insecure is Donald Trump?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rogifan, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Seriously everything he says and does revolves around some deep insecurity he has. His inaugural crowds were the biggest in history; his standing ovation at the CIA was better than when Tom Brady won the Super Bowl; every CEO trotted out in front of the cameras at the White House has to say all these amazing things about him; he would have won the popular vote if not for 3m illegal votes in California etc. Even his comments about torture are just red meat to his base to prove his manhood and tough guy persona. Barack Obama was an egotistical narcissist. Trump is exactly the same except with huge inferiority complex.

Bad things will happen on his watch, they do on every President's. Since he can't handle ever failing, being wrong or not being the best and most loved what is he going to do when jobs and economic growth numbers come out that aren't great. Or we take on ISIS and have military casualties in the process? Or he doesn't get the biggest applause and most standing ovations at the State of the Union. Is he going to bully agencies to provide alternative facts that make him look good? Or is he just going to make stuff up like 3m illegal voters? Whether you agree or disagree with him on policy everyone should be concerned about someone so insecure and so in need of constant praise and adulation. Someone that can't survive without daily affirmation that he is the best. It scares the crap out of me.

2. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

It goes deeper than that. His deep manic insecurity has caused him to surrounded himself with yesmen and enablers who will never challenge him on his ideas or propose counter-points. He clearly cannot stand to have any dissent in his administration, even if it is constructive and productive feedback. This is not how functional adults work.

3. samcraig macrumors P6

In a word, No.

He's dangerous not only because of his ego - but because he also uses it to smoke screen other issues. But that's a lesson the press needs to learn. They need to stop poking the bear about audience, ratings etc. Whenever Trump begins to talk about those things, the interviewer(s) should redirect to focus on policies. Remove ego from the conversation. And fact check the crap out of him and call him on his lies and hyperbole. But stay on issue.

4. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

To follow-up, he was easily baited into the whole 3m illegal voters thing and follow-on investigation by comments from journalists. They, probably unintentionally, played his insecurities.

They said essentially, this is crazy, if there were really 3m illegal votes, that would be huge and there would be huge investigations. So Trump said, oh year? Well here's an investigation.

Can you imagine if someone says to him "if you really hated China so much, you would just nuke it." I don't think he would be able to control his insecurity...

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Well, it depends. He personifies the anger and frustration of many conservatives or people who don't like progress. Perhaps it's a character he's playing to get his way but a lot of people really are just like that. If you look at old videos of Trump he had some very progressive ideas like gun control, etc.

Is Trump thin skinned? Yes, but there's a purpose to it.

6. samcraig macrumors P6

People change over time too. You can't compare a 40s Trump to a 70s Trump. I look at my father, for example and see a HUGE change in political leanings.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

That's true. He's a tough one to understand, but I think that's the point. Have you seen this short video on Putin and how he manipulates people by confusing them, you can apply this to Trump too

8. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

As a litigator, I see people like that often. It's a combination of being charming, talking in circles, and using complicated buzzwords.

Sometime's I hear someone explain something, and I think yea that makes sense wow my side is wrong. Then I parse it again in my head and realize they didn't actually say anything substantive. If I realize it fast enough, I can push them on it. That's where the skill comes from.

But it only works if, as I said, they have all 3: charm, circular argument, and buzzwords. Without charm, the listener is not fooled at first instance. Without circular argument, there is no lengthy filler. Without buzzwords, there is no perceived credibility.

9. yaxomoxay Suspended

yaxomoxay

To answer the original question: Nixon at least. He couldn't even ask the simplest things to people, he had to ask his assistants - which gained his trust after painful work - to ask for things.
    When Kissinger met Nixon, the then president-elect was so afraid of being rejected that he didn't offer the National Security Adviser job. Kissinger found out about it only because after a week one of Nixon's assistants called Kissinger asking why he didn't reply to the job offer. Kissinger said "What offer?" and the assistant (I think it was Rogers) said:"F-ck, he messed up again."

10. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

I agree they need to stop taking the Bannon bait. And I'm convinced the WH is intentionally sowing chaos because they know the media will tweet the minute hear something and they love it when the press has to correct themselves. Trump is someone who needs an enemy and has decided it'd going to be the press.

11. samcraig macrumors P6

I can't put my finger on it - but it's like too different aspects of insecurity though.

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

completely used to his advantage, the man has small hands & is freaking ugly, so he compensates by banging/marrying hot women, he also over compensates in work by getting things done, one week and he was worked seemingly non-stop kicking ass & taking names. so his "insecurities" are an asset to the man like him or not.

13. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

14. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

Yep. It's pretty clear Reince Preibus, Sean Spicer and Kellyanne Conway are yes people and in some cases even egg him on. It was Preibus who said in an interview that they would be fighting the press every day. And when Trump isn't doing official business he's either reading his Twitter feed or watching cable news. If he had competent people around him they would take his phone away and remove all access toTVs.

15. samcraig macrumors P6

Well exactly. Since he can't have Hillary as the enemy. Or those that ran against him in the primaries. And we know he's a vindictive you-know-what. He's a revenge monster. That should concern everyone.

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

this "insecure" man/child beat 16 republicans & one seriously crooked democrat, perhaps he is able to see in twitter & TV what others can't :eek: if he did not have his phone as a distraction perhaps he would manage to put hillary in jail like he promised:mad:

17. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Maybe George Washington? He had wooden teeth. I don't expect it made him feel that self-assured.

18. samcraig macrumors P6

An asset to him does not equate to being an asset for this country. Just sayin'

19. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

And btw, Sean Spicer said the voter fraud investigation would start by focusing on the biggest states like California and New York. I don't think it's a surprise they're focusing on the states that gave Hillary Clinton the large popular vote margin. But what's so stupid about it and just shows how insecure he is is he's President! I'm sure Hillary Clinton would gladly give him 3m votes in exchange for winning the electoral college and being elected President. Also if Democrats were going to engage in massive voter fraud would they be that stupid to only do it in states that Clinton was going to win anyway? Wouldn't they target swing states like Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin and Iowa?

20. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

He hasn't actually done any kicking ass yet. His EOs will about as effective as Obamas, which is to say, not very effective at all. So far, he's done a lot of embarrassing himself.

This insecure peanut beat out 16 spineless idiots and one seriously flawed democrat. It's not like he cleared a very high bar. Congratulations to Trump for being the tallest midget.

21. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

o_O cheeto hitler is getting things done , one freaking week and liberal heads are spinning from all the ass kicking he is doing getting things done:cool:
    --- Post Merged, Jan 27, 2017 ---
    his EO's put the ball in the republicans court. their turn to work :D

22. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Yes! That's one of the most idiotic thing about it his whole conspiracy theory. Why would Democrats use voter fraud to run up the score in states they had in the bag already?

23. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

You are 100% correct and both the media, Democrats, and the never Trump Republicans fail to realize this. Trump is going to continue to throw out the red meat and I can't see things changing. To make things worse (depending on your point of view), Trump is going to continue to push multiple changes simultaneously (think of it as a football blitz). The media may be able to focus on some policies but most will not be discussed.

People may not like it but this is the new model for the president no matter which party you are from.

24. samcraig macrumors P6

No. George Washington did not have wooden teeth. You honestly believe that wives tale? He had dentures made of various materials - none of which was wood. And many people did in that time.

What exactly has he REALLY gotten done. Signing things is not getting things done. Meaningless paper for right now. You tell me - what has actually been accomplished so far.

25. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

Let's see, more people voted for someone else in the Republican primaries than for Donald Trump. He benefited from a large field going after each other assuming he wasn't serious and would flame out, plus he got a ton of free media from the likes of CNN because they wanted him to be the nominee. I remember them showing complete campaign rallies, 45 minutes of free coverage that no one else got. If Trump wasn't so insecure why is he still obsessing over losing the popular vote? That's all this voter fraud "investigation" is.