Have white iPhone 5, thinking of moving to the Space Grey 5s.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Krissypantz2828, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Krissypantz2828, Oct 2, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2013

Krissypantz2828 macrumors 6502a

Krissypantz2828

I had the white for about 3 months. I changed from a black iPhone 4 to a white iPhone 5 because I wanted a change. But I don' think the white is me. It looks feminine. And yes debate all you want, it is a feminine phone.

I am female btw, I'm not a tomboy but in the same token I have never really indulged in super feminine stuff. I don't carry a purse, I carry a bag. I wear AE jeans and golf shirts, and my idea of sexy shoes are my brown leather doctor martin boots. I think phones are an accessory just like how a bag or a purse is. And we generally pick our accessories to match our personality.

I never realized how much a phone can actually depict who you are. So Space Grey it is :) Calling my store tomorrow to switch my reservation!

Just thought I would share.

2. Krissypantz2828 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Krissypantz2828

Actually the more I look at the touch ID ring, the more I am undecided. Decisions, Decisions. The ring is not as flashy :(

3. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

Weird, oddly enough I was scrolling through the "Space gray is stunning" topic and on page two you made this post, pretty much saying the opposite of what you're saying here about the "feminine" bit...before you thought it was classy and not feminine but now it's a girls phone?

Krissypantz2828: I disagree with the women comments. I own a silver iPhone 5. I never wanted one because I thought it was too feminine and I am female but not overly feminine myself. I had the black iPhone 4 and thought that I was just going to stick with black. Went to the silver iPhone 5. It's classy not feminine, in my opinion. There are men who have white iPhones. And no not just the gay ones lol. Either way iOS 7 looks better on white IMO and I will be sticking with silver for the 5s.

:confused: Change of heart?

----------

And then you said this in the "Space Gray Touch ID Ring" topic:

There is a little shimmer guys. I think it looks fine. Probably would look better with more of a shimmer but its all good.

You are just very undecided.

4. Shan S. macrumors member

Agree about the touch ID ring on the space grey.. I do have this one and wish they made the metal ring stand out a bit more.. When the space grey is in a case, people don't notice it as much as the all black front looks like a standard 5 at first glance.

The white one has the cool looking silver/chrome ring. Which people will identify with the 5s.

A few people at my work got the 5s the same time as me. We all have some type of case... In meetings the other coworkers notice the white and gold ones pretty quickly because of the ring.. Mine.. people don't notice as much.

Except for that space grey is still very cool

5. Phone Junky macrumors 6502a

Thanks for keeping us posted on your color choice. It is really important to the community.

6. InfinitiG macrumors 6502

I agree, thanks OP!

7. x-evil-x macrumors 68040

x-evil-x

8. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

I prefer the non matching touchID ring on my space grey 5S because it keeps the flush black front together.

9. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

Lol, I know I can fall asleep now, though I almost did reading the OPs post(s).

10. Krissypantz2828 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Krissypantz2828

My thread was useless. I was happy with my decision until I realized the ring was black. Looks like I'll stick with the feminine phone :/

----------

Yah exactly :( that kinda sucks. Me as we'll would like to have a distinguishable phone. I'll pass on the black then.

11. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

If you're really a girl why are you acting like sticking with the so-called "feminine" phone is such a pain?

I made my decision of what color I wanted in a millisecond when I saw my friends space gray 5S on launch day. It's not rocket science.

----------

The fact that you're worried about your phone being distinguishable is just awful. The space gray is distinguishable anyways because it's a new color and the home button is completely different looking.

12. Krissypantz2828 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Krissypantz2828

[​IMG]

I love how they mislead you into thinking its shimmering silver or grey. I'm torn now.

13. BSDanalyst macrumors regular

Trust me, the black-on-black ring on space grey looks much better than if it were another color. Apple's designers has tried other options (i.e space grey, silver) and the current version looks the most sleek.

14. Indecisi0n macrumors regular

Indecisi0n

Women in the subway called me a racist because I have a white phone.

15. Krissypantz2828 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Krissypantz2828

I will go look today at a store before making my decision. Its hard to tell on the internet.

16. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It's the reflection on the ring and I get that a lot. Not misleading. What's misleading is the photo on the Space Gray iPhone box that clearly shows the gray ring but then again it's a rendering so not exactly accurate.

17. madKIR macrumors 6502

I also have a white iPhone 5, which is fine, but wanted to try the space gray this time.
    I stopped by a T-Mobile store and placed an order. I said space gray but the representative mistakenly ordered the silver one. I decided to sleep on it before changing the order: I drove to a local Apple store to take another look at the phone. Unfortunately, the space gray is still prone to scratches just like the black slate. The difference is the lighter color thus it's less visible. It's still the same aluminum and anodization. I don't like cases, so I decided to go with the silver again. Otherwise, the space gray is a great looking phone.

18. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

Why do you need a 5s? What does it offer that your 5 doesn't?

What apps do you use that will take advantage of the extra speed?

I'm just a bit confused as to why you feel a compulsory need to upgrade when you've barely had your existing phone for a year.

19. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

The space grey 5S is simply stunning to look at. I've had mine for a week now (upgraded from a 4), and it universally makes people's eyes pop when they see it. It's very possibly the prettiest iPhone yet. It's a shade darker than a Macbook Pro or Air, with a gunmetal glint to it.

As to the merits vs. the 5: It's significantly, perceptibly faster, the fingerprint login works marvelously well, the camera is better and we'll soon see some mind-blowing apps that require its 64 bit processor's power.

OP seems more driven by style and looks, but there's a lot to this machine that merits attention by others. I'm predicting the emergence of a new breed of phone user-- the "smartphone power user" --and the 5S speaks to that audience and their needs as they emerge.

----------

I'd hate to hear what they'd call me for having the space grey... like an offensive 1920s minstrel, it's in blackface...

20. Tomacorno macrumors regular

I put a 5c and 5S side by side in a store and did notice that in launching some apps and files within apps (iMovie, Garageband) the 5S was noticeably faster. Apps are not made to fully take advantage yet but I imagine we will start seeing "5S recommended" within the next 6 months. I am coming from a 4 so an upgrade was coming but between 5c, which is essentially the specs of the 5, and 5S it seems like a no brainer for the better camera and A7/M7 chips. So, if you have the desire and the cash it seems like a decent upgrade to me.

21. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

If you own a iPhone 4, it makes absolute sense to purchase a 5s. (Though I personally picked the 5c.)

The problem is here that the thread starter wants to move from a 5 to a 5s. It's his money, and he's welcome to spend it how he wants, but I personally don't believe it's worth the money to move from the 5 to the 5s. He's best off keeping his money for the 6 in a year, which he'll be able to get much cheaper anyway due to the 2-year contract cycle.

22. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

23. Scorpion008 macrumors member

Something something black, something something back. Still sounds better.

24. Aye macrumors regular

All whites in the past except black 5, waiting / going back to white/gold.

25. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

Haha I love this. Space gray really is the best color in my opinion, out of all 3. White/silver looks nice, but its the same white as the 5, gold is neat but not for me, space gray is a new color... sold! :D I am obsessed with how it looks, and this is coming from someone who swore the 4/4S was the best design.

It looks amazing, I even got a clear case (and front & back protectors) for it because I want to protect it but can't cover it's beauty. It's so reminiscent of the older iPhones (2G and 4/4S), it's classic looking. I prefer having a gunmetal gray colored phone rather than black.