Have you accomplished a significant goals in a short period of time?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by oberus, Apr 17, 2013.

1. oberus macrumors newbie

I'm watching this video, and there are clips in it about achieving great things in a short amount of time (ninety days).

I'm curious, is it possible?

Have you accomplished a significant goals in a short period of time?

This is that video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp1iEd3VABo

2. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

I watched the first 10 seconds of "your" video and got bored and closed it out.

3. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

This computerized voice is very distracting ... Why people don't use their real voice ?

4. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Usually to protect the innocent. :D

5. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

It's very possible to accomplish significant things in 90 days. The thing is everyone's idea of what is significant will be different.

For example, in the last 12 weeks I've lost 70 lbs by changing my eating habits and making healthier choices. That's very significant to me and has improved my life tremendously.

6. craftytony macrumors regular

craftytony

I have also made a significant change in 90 days.

The only thing that stops most people is the willpower to make those changes.

7. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

A few thoughts...

"Significant" and "short" are rather subjective, and even "goal" could have a multitude of interpretations. Must a goal be achievable in finite time? To have achieved a goal, must that state be sustained? But I understand the question.

I wonder though if this sort of short-term quick-results thinking is healthy on the whole. Sure I might achieve something "significant" in a "short time," but what are the trade-offs when working towards this goal quickly versus slowly? Often a goal is very narrowly defined and the process of achieving this goal "quickly" may have a number of short- and long-term consequences that are unintended and potentially deleterious.

8. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

I earned my instrument rating in less than 90 days.

9. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

That's awesome, bro - good for you!! :)

10. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Thanks Tomorrow. I hope you and yours are doing well. We should do lunch sometime soon. :)

11. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

We totally should - give me a shout sometime. :cool:

12. Huntn, Apr 19, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2013

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Well, I've not cut carbs out of my life, but I did cut out "sweets" cold turkey. And because I have a sweet tooth/addiction, I find myself wandering the kitchen on occasion looking for something adequate to resolve my craving. So far it is fruits or low cal fruit drinks like OceanSpary Cranberry Pomegranate. I've also cut out copious amounts of artificial sweetener. No more crutches to get the sweet zinger. ;) Some discomfort but so far so good and I think I'm losing weight. I'd say I'm about 30 lbs over weight at 217lb (5'10").

13. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I think this thread illustrates exactly a lot of the struggles people have with various desires or things they want to change in life. We always seem to negatively think that making progress towards a goal is going to be too difficult or that just making small changes won't really work.

I followed a food plan called Slim4Life that is here in the DFW area and really all it does is help support you in eating correct portions and eating healthy foods. I took a few supplements for additional support, but really it was just making some small changes that I always knew I needed to make, but never seemed to have the motivation to consistently do. I didn't start a new overwhelming exercise plan or go extreme like a liquid diet only. I just made consistent healthier choices following the food list they game me and the weight literally dropped off.

The truth is that a lot things in life are just like this. Maybe you want to lose weight, stop smoking, start exercising, learn to play an instrument, pick up a new hobby, develop a new skill, or increase your social interaction. The point is that by just being consistent with some small changes you can really achieve positive results. It's amazing how our fear of change and lack of patience really hold us back in a lot of areas of life.

14. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

My professor told me you could not write a thesis in less then four months. I hate being told I can't do something - I did it in just under three.

However, I agree with mscriv about making small changes. It takes time for a change to become a habit.

There's a new book coming out on Monday about this same thing. It's called "Start" by Jon Acuff. I really want to get my hands on a copy!