Have you been contacted by [UK] o2 yet? It's early July now!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by johnwin, Jul 1, 2008.

1. johnwin macrumors 6502

johnwin

Anyone got an email from o2 as a result of signing up to notification by the website?

2. MojoWill macrumors 6502

nothing yet but they will properly start sending emails a week beofre!

3. Juo100 macrumors regular

Nothing here either, I was hoping they would put us/me out our misery today.

4. JadawinUK macrumors newbie

5. Jowl macrumors 6502

I got one!

No, I'm only kidding. I hope for some more info this week - my wish is that I can reserve an iPhone. I don't think that will happen though

6. johnnyi macrumors regular

I have not got on. This is really annoying now 02 are really unorganized. I am still deciding between the pay as you go and contract and this is making it harder as no prices have been confirmed.I have they send out the emails soon.I have registered my interest 3 times just incase something was up.I am so sad.

7. Kerching macrumors member

I spoke to O2 just now.

The woman on the end of the phone said:-

• Existing customers are getting preferential treatment - as we are being allowed to upgrade without penalty in our 18 month contract.
    • No stores are allowed to hold phones for anyone, despite obvious evidence on here to the contrary.
    • Existing iPhone owners will only be told of the upgrade process on the 11th
    • It will be first come first serve and if you phone in too late they might have sold out

8. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

What about existing O2 non-iPhone customers who are out of contract and O2 Select customers? :p

9. Pointer macrumors regular

I really hope that's not true. I can't see it personally, it would be extremely poor business practice. I might email Matthew Key if nothing has been released in the next couple of days.

10. sjw macrumors regular

I got nothing either... but it's not even 1 whole day into July yet. I suspect within the next week we'll hear more.

11. Kerching macrumors member

Forgive my ignorance but who is Matthew Key?

Just got off the phone again to them....

They have no plans/have been informed of any plans to release any information other than on the 11th of July, and in fact appeared to be blaming Apple for the poor release of the O2 process.

12. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

He's the CEO of Telefonica O2 UK. :)

He joined as the CFO and then became CEO later on.

R-Fly

13. trevreyno macrumors member

These two statements seem like a contradiction in terms?

Anyone else get the feeling exsisting 02 Iphone "early"upgraders are going to get pushed to the back on this one-i.e don't expect to get your hands on a new iPhone July 11th as it looks like your going to have to apply online for the "early"upgrade then wait for your iIphone to be delivered god knows when?(if and when stock allow)

If this is the case so much for loyalty to the early adopters o2:mad:

14. Pointer macrumors regular

Sorry, I should have put that in my post. I emailed Matthew Key last year about the release of the first iPhone and he answered quite quickly. He also forwarded my email to someone in the Marketing Dept who gave me more details. I have emailed the guy in the marketing dept and got an automatic reply to say that he is out of the office but has his Blackberry :)eek:) with him. I'll let you know if I hear anything back.

15. Kerching macrumors member

This is precisely the vibe i am getting from O2.

They have said that they will NOT be dispatching phones to arrive on the 11th. Given that they will almost certainly use a company that won't deliver on Saturday..... the earliest we might see a phone if we are deemed lucky enough to get one.... is the 15th i would say.

After all v1 iPhone users are already paying O2, so they are getting money from us whether they deliver a new iPhone on the 11th of July or the 11th of September. There is really no good reason for them to do so, if they cared about customer feedback they would have extracted the digits from their collective back side and done something about it.

16. Jowl macrumors 6502

My last (current) phone was delivered on a Saturday by Virgin! I was quite surprised (not fully in a good way as he woke up at 8am after drink the night before :D )

I'll get our lass to call O2 - she is a current non-iPhone customer and is due an upgrade.

17. chameleon81 macrumors 6502

early July?

it is not early july, it is 1st of July

18. TomB88 macrumors member

Fail.

I haven't been contacted either yet, but I live near an O2 store, so I'll ask there at some point.

19. johnwin thread starter macrumors 6502

johnwin

LOL well it don't get any earlier :)

20. johnwin thread starter macrumors 6502

johnwin

No they aren't - they can only upgrade on line.

O2 are not allowing existing customers to walk out with shiny new iPhones from the store on the 11th. Why would they - they need nice juicy new customers bringing new revenue in.

The poor early adopters still have a minimum of 6 monthly payments to make on their contracts - why offer then a phone that could go to a new customer?

It's not right BUT it is true :mad:

21. zed2 macrumors 6502a

no we don't... from the O2 website:

To thank you for being an iPhone fan, we're offering you an early upgrade to the iPhone 3G when it launches on 11th July 2008. You won't have to wait until the end of your existing contract, all you'll need to do is agree to a new 18-month minimum term contract.

---Zed

22. jambodoug macrumors member

O2 Store Princes St, Edinburgh

I was told in store last week, that existing iPhone owners wishing to upgrade would be able to do so online...hopefully soon in that case, because here's the best bit:

** the new phone would be delivered on the day of launch **

23. Kerching macrumors member

I agree with you - merely saying what the woman told me.

24. johnwin thread starter macrumors 6502

johnwin

I know you can change the phone before the contract ends. My point is that you have to do it online (minimum delay 3 days?).

They are doing this so that all the shiny new ones in the store go to new customers on the 11th - they need new blood. Letting early adopters take them all from the stores on the 11th gives them no new revenue beyond the capital receipts for the sale of the phone.

They want the £630 revenue stream generated by the new customer (assuming £35/month for 18 months)

Simple economics ;)

25. Kerching macrumors member

if that is the case - then why when you phone O2 do they not say that?