Have you ever been in a situation where you thought you were going to die?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 63dot, Nov 12, 2014.

1. 63dot, Nov 12, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2014

63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Either we have all been in this situation or know somebody who has been in this situation where they thought for sure they were going to die.

I was a missionary from InterVarsity Christian Fellowship/Christian Union U.K. in Belfast and I went there during the troubles in '85 through Church of England. One previous English missionary got killed by either the local Constables or supporting SAS troops there who mistook him for IRA or another pro-Irish or pro-English terrorist group.

Like the rest of the missionaries I had to deal with walking around with machine guns being pointed at me with every step and some of the troops there looked (very) young and nervous. They were at a heightened state all the time and besides being armed to the teeth, they wore these 360 degree mirrors on their helmets and could detect any motion. Knowing that such a British solider killed my fellow English missionary was unnerving and when I was there each minute felt like my last. It sucked pretty much like I thought it would and helped form some anti-war views I have. But there was no hate and I clearly saw that you had two desperate sides at wits end who didn't know how to deal with getting up out of the house without being armed. It wasn't about who was right or wrong but simply staying alive. Live one more day and maybe common sense will win the day someday and there will be lasting peace. It's a mantra I think that can apply to any place like Belfast. I still have nightmares sometimes and oddly it sometimes includes the missionary who was shot where I am him. Belfast was a long term issue of war (not unlike Palestine) and proof positive that guns are never a good policy for long term issues that have to eventually be dealt with diplomatically.

Share your experiences.

2. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Yes

When my then second wife asked if these jeans made her Butt look big?

It seem sometimes, that honesty is not the best policy.:p

3. VulchR, Nov 12, 2014

VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I have - twice. The first time was very peaceful - I was in the late stages of hypothermia (the uncontrollable shivering stopped) after having fallen through ice on a lake. When I say peaceful, I mean nirvana peaceful. It took a lot of effort to get up but I was certain I wouldn't make it unless I did.

The second time was due to pulmonary emboli. I had made it to the hospital and they put me on a pulse oximeter (measures blood oxygen saturation). In the middle of the first night I woke with chest pain and watched my SpO2 drop from 97% to 87% in about a minute, which is the last thing I remember before I blacked out. I am not sure if I lost consciousness because of the lack of oxygen or because of the i.v. morphine they gave me, but this was hardly peaceful. I wouldn't wish air hunger on my worst enemy. Those of you who smoke might want to ponder that. ;) In any case, to those of you who are budding physicians: probably the last thing you want to say to somebody in a situation like this when they come to is 'Wow. That was close. You gave us quite a scare.'

4. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I was on a C-130 flying from Camp New Amsterdam (NL) to McGuire Air Force Base (NJ). About 20 army officers catching a HOP to the states. A couple hours out over the Atlantic one of the engines catches fire. The pilot, comes back to tell us that it isn't a problem. The C-130 is capable of flying on three engines. He says that the cargo handlers will be making some cargo adjustments for us to all stay belted in. They opened the back door and shoved out the cargo. Heck of an adjustment.

A little while later, the second engine on that same wing bursts into flames. Not a little smoke and a few flames like the first one but huge flames. After the fire is out, another pilot comes out and tells us that we won't be able to make it to the US. The cargo handlers have everyone put on life vest, they get inflatable lifeboats at the ready.

Two F-4C's Phantoms flew up alongside of us. Things looked pretty bleak. They managed to get to a Naval Air Station at Keflavik, Iceland. Where we landed. A better word might be controlled crash but we all walked away, no injuries. I've had a few other times where I thought it looked pretty bad but that one was pretty much the worst because it lasted so long.

5. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

What does not kill you .......... turns you into a liar. :D

6. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I once answered that question honestly… She threw something heavy at me.

7. Meister Suspended

Meister

Yes. Food poisoning with unknown causes.
    Spent a week in the intensive care unit in a hospital.
    Couldn't drink or eat and just pooped blood. Had other complications, too.
    Was too weak to even talk and took me almost an entire year to completely recover.

8. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

My vehicle getting struck by a three-warhead explosively-formed penetrator (courtesy of the Iranians) had me worried for a few seconds until I ascertained my body parts were still attached. However, I can't really say I had enough time to worry about dying when everything was happening so fast. Contact with the enemy concentrates the mind wonderfully.

9. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Hopefully not her butt.

A semi-truck driving parallel decided to change lanes and hit the front end of my car. The roof of the car caught the side of the trailer and I was dragged hundreds of feet while the wheels basically ripped the rear door away.

I was lucky that the trailer didn't actually go up and over, which certainly would have killed me.

I also had a kid threaten to stab me with a small knife because he didn't like me being in his neighborhood.

And, while on assignment I was in a small plane about to land in a grass field when the pilot made an error in judgement and caught a tree.
    We lost the left wheel, spun slightly and then went right into the dirt. The camera in my lap had gone through the windshield, but otherwise we were fine.

The middle time was the worst because I had time to think about dying and what it would mean and what it would feel like. The other two were so sudden I was too busy reacting to think about it.

10. dec. Suspended

dec.

Slightly off-topic as I didn't think I'd die - it was over by the time I realized it, but anyway.. One day after school I got off the train and instead of using the underpass I crossed the rails right behind the train, seconds after I climbed up to the platform on the other side a train from the opposite direction passed by. I never felt that sick in my life... I was really, really lucky, with the timing - and with the train driver - had he honked I probably would have frozen on the rails (and ended up halfway back towards school).

11. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

I was a crewmember of a submarine that suffered a control planes casualty while submerged, we exceeded design down-angle. I can't give any details as to how, or why, or what depth we got to, but some people got hurt and some equipment got broken. Our leadership was changed out as a result.

In the moment, I remember "shrugging it off", but afterwards, that's when it really hits you. We had several of the crew that refused to stay on board once we returned to port.

This was back in the height of the cold war, so no publicity, hush hush, move along, nothing to see here.

12. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

I was nearly electrocuted attempting to clamp a reflector light onto a cold water pipe. The hot wire came off and was touching the ungrounded case. I was barely able to release the grip as my muscles locked on.

13. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Good topic with some very interesting posts. I'd actually like to read more details from some of your stories. Scary stuff.

I've had a few experiences where I wasn't sure how it would turn out. In each instance I remember the feeling of disbelief and asking myself if this is how "it would happen?" In most of those I was either uninjured or had minor injuries.

In another instance I shouldn't have survived. It all happened so fast I didn't even see it coming. I spent a year and a half in and out of SF hospitals and the Kentfield Rehab Center.

14. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

That's freaking scary. Thoughts of the USS Scorpion...

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Several times. First time was an aborted takeoff (after hours of delays and 1 plane being taken out of service) where we skidded off the runway. The plane whipped around so hard I thought we were goners.

Second time I was driving in upstate NY and the car we were in just died as we were driving and all the lights went out. Man, it's ****ing dark outside the city. We were able to stop but hit the guardrail.

Third time was a really severe turbulence on a plane. I fly quite a bit and nothing really fazes me. We were dropping what seemed like thousands of feet and the look of terror on most passengers, the tightening of seat belts and grabbing for emergency cards was enough for me. I thought it was over.

16. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

The worst ones are the ones where you don't get to even think. I went over the handlebars on a push bike when I was 10. 100 stitches in my face and knocked out all of my adult front teeth, broke my nose and my jaw.

That was touch and go for a second, but I have no recollection of it. Not even a fade to black, just gone, it's all gone. One minute your there the next minute if you're resuscitated you wake up in a hospital.

Nothing, no darkness, no black, just nothing, no recollection, no being in my body, no outer body experience, nothing, zip, nada... just gone.

I didn't get to think about it or kiss my arse goodbye, I wasn't dead, but that's as close as you get to it. My mum said my eyes rolled back in my head for a second, yeah, aint life grand when it can just completely disappear like that?

The good news is you wont know anything. It's not like being unborn, it's like never existing at all like the previous 14billion years without you.

17. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

"Our existence is but a brief crack of light between two eternities of darkness."

--Vladimir Nabokov

18. orestes1984, Nov 12, 2014

orestes1984 macrumors 65816

No darkness, nothing, and that's the closest I've come. I came to in a hospital so pumped full of morphine, with people telling me to stand for an xray, I couldn't stand on my own two feet.

The strangest part of it all is that I still hold onto the faintest glimmer of hope sometimes that I'll see people like my grandparents again on the other side. I'm very agnostic though however, but I can't rule everything out. Probably a bit silly but whatever.

My experiences have made me if but one thing, irrationally scared of an eternal period of nothing, with a dash of what's the point if that's it? I often say that if this amounted to nothing then I wouldn't have been bothered being put here given a consensual choice.

19. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Well, what's the point of an ant, a rat, or a flea?

I'm perplexed that some people (not you) seem to think their 70-80 year life is totally meaningless if it isn't followed by a second life of infinite length.

20. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Not a story of a time I knowingly feared for my life; but definitely a near-death experience...

A few years ago my brother and I were driving down a highway in the middle of nowhere south-central Utah. My brother was the driver, his Ford Ranger pickup. He heard a rattling noise, pointed it out to me, and I thought it sounded like his hubcap on the rear passenger side was loose.

I stupidly rolled the window down to look back and see if I could see it shaking around, about to come off. I stuck my head out the window, saw it flapping about and brought my head back in to tell him to pull over. Immediately as my head passed the plane of the window I head a loud crack and a shatter of glass. I had shards hit my face; I didn't know what had just happened.

It turns out my brother had drifted slightly to the right and grazed a steel mile-marker sign. Took the rearview mirror, door handle, and tail-light clean off, and left a deep gouge in the side of the truck.

If I'd taken even a split second longer I have no doubt I would have been killed. Either decapitated, had the top of my skull and brain crushed in, or taken the sign post to the neck and had a fatal neck fracture.

Then when we had calmed some, we flipped around to try and clean up the debris and I saw the tire track in the shoulder of the highway, we came about 6 inches from going off a steep embankment into a boulder field. It would have been 40 or so feet down and I'm sure we both would have been killed in the impact (assuming I still had my head attached).

It toke me a while to get past the shock from that one. And even now, if I sit and really think about it it makes me a bit sick to my stomach.

21. Muscle Master macrumors 6502a

Muscle Master

I had an Airbus A330 taxi into a gate, there was an unsecured ULD sitting on the dolly. As the plane taxi into the gate.. It jet blasted the ULD straight in my direction like a bullet!... Had I not seen and ducked from the incoming can.. I would have been a goner

22. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

This is good reading. Might as well add my own.

My brother and I were driving back home from ice-fishing one night. We used to fish all day, everyday(when we weren't working). We had an early 80s Ford work van that we used for HVAC during the week. My brother was driving, and we were on a two-lane highway. There are many in Wisconsin. It was probably about 10 °F outside, and we were both trying to warm our hands on the heater. Trying to thaw your frozen fingers is hard when you have been enduring the elements all day.

There was more traffic that night than normal for a weeknight. My brother is an excellent driver, and always pays attention to the road. You can't prepare for black ice, though. We hit a patch and he instantly lost control. First, we slid to the right(a relief) and then to the left. I remember seeing headlights, so many headlights. All I could think was that I am way too young to die and my life was literally flashing before my eyes. We slid right in front of a car, all the way to the left shoulder. Relief again. Then, to our dismay, back to the right and right in front of an 18-wheeler.

I still have no idea how, but we did not get hit by the truck either. We slid back over to the right side, avoided a third collision and kept going into the ditch. The van rolled a full rotation and came to a stop. We sat there for a good ten minutes without uttering a word, or even blinking. I now know where the term 'scared stiff' comes from.

The van was fine, and we had our belts on. We drove home and went straight to our rooms to bed. Neither of us ever told Mom. Partially because we did not want to worry her, but also in fear of not being able to go ice-fishing again.:D

23. sim667 macrumors 65816

Yeah, final approach to Keflavik Airport in Iceland, plane got struck by lightning, everything cut out for about 4 seconds........... everyone went silent and it just felt like freefall, that was the longest four seconds of my life.

24. takao macrumors 68040

takao

so far i haven't

but i always favoured trains over long distance driving, haven't been on many flights and do do any extreme sports,rock climbing, free skiing etc.

i haven't even broken any body parts nor did i ever had to stay in a hospital over night

the closest i had were some "these ?§$%& will do this until sombody dies" moments during my conscription service.
    having to wear old thick dark NBC protective rubber suits which weren't equipped with climate control because "the new climate controlled suits are to expensive for training" at 37°C in blinding sunlight in July, the hottest week of the year 2002, at noon on a huge concrete lot, for more than 3 hours made me wish to pass out to be over with it.
    At the end i was just standing there with shaking legs grapping the truck bumper with both hands concentrating on breathing while i zoned out completly.

25. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Shows you what a small world it really is. Both of us had an experience involving the same remote airport that most people didn't know existed.