Have You Ever Been the Victim of a Scam?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MICHAELSD, Feb 9, 2015.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Curious to see how many people actually fall for scams. Frankly the only scam, using that word loosely, I was ever a victim of was when a buyer that I had sold an $100 Amazon gift card (digital) to used the card then claimed to have never received it. It's actually a pretty common occurrence as thieves target digital gift cards for this reason. Due to this among other reasons I firmly believe that more buyers attempt to dupe sellers on eBay rather than vice versa. I do wish eBay had a minimum feedback option as if I chose to only sell to people with over 100 feedback then I'd be much less likely to sell to a dishonest buyer. It's far too easy for a buyer to claim to receive a brick in the package sent, with no form of recourse for the seller. There's a valuable lesson in being careful even as an honest seller.

The second time I suspested a buyer to be duplicitous was when I was selling a certain new game console. The buyer offered to trade designer items for it, claiming their feedback was too low to sell them and would rather trade. My bs meter went off so I made sure that when they shipped the so-called designer items, I purposely held off on shipping the console (prepared to ship it had the items been legitimate). As expected the items were counterfeit. Not willing to pay to ship them back (not to mention how shipping counterfeits is illegal), I taught the scammer a lesson by keeping and discarding of these counterfeits. It was worth the attempt though since had those items been real it would've been a pretty favorable low-risk trade.

Not counting spam mail (unless you believed it to be true, if so :p... no judgement), have you ever been the victim or near-victim of a scam?

2. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

When I was 18 or 19 years old - about 10 years ago - I sold a computer to an individual through a message board. Foolishly I sent the computer first and allowed him to pay upon receiving the computer. Well, long story short, I never got paid.

However, I had the kid's name, address, phone number, etc. I was able to track him down and I was actually able to contact his parents. They eventually sent me back the computer, so I was able to get out of the deal without any major loss, other than some time, a headache, and some shipping $$.

3. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Pretty funny story! Hopefully that kid got the grounding of his life.

4. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

LOL, you and me both!

5. PowerBook-G5 macrumors 65816

PowerBook-G5

6. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

When I was in college in the mid 90's a friend introduced me to a pyramid scheme business selling phone cards. This was before wide spread cell phone usage so people still used calling cards for long distance minutes and so forth. And of course, college was a pretty ideal place to push the product because students were making lots of long distance phone calls to home. Like most pyramid schemes it really was just about getting as many of your friends and family as possible to buy the initial product. I didn't really lose any money on the deal because I was able to use the minutes I bought, but it ultimately didn't prove to be any real savings either and of course I never was able to sell the product to anyone else. No harm no foul, but a lesson definitely learned.

7. samiwas macrumors 65816

...and health insurance.

I'm pretty sure I alm st got scammed on eBay when trying to buy a Cinema Display about ten years ago. I put in a bid, then was contacted by the seller to see if I wanted to do the deal outside of eBay. This was before this was known a normal scam. So I kinda fell for it. The only thing that "saved" me was a big financial hit at the time which meant I couldn't complete the sale at the time. But looking back, I know I was getting scammed.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, while anything is possible I go by the addage if its too good to be true then it generally is.

I also try not to take chances on buying/selling, so far my conservative approach has shielded me from any possible scams but I also understand that doesn't guarantee I'll not succumb to one in the future.

9. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I'll be married for twenty years this September.

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

No.

However, some time ago, I did receive an email which purported to come from the New York municipal department which dealt with traffic offences ad which threatened me with legal action for non-payment of a traffic fine, and proceeded to advise me as to means by which said payment could be effected.

Given that I have never actually set foot in New York in my life, in a car or otherwise, I had no difficulty in consigning this email to the dark, outer ether of blissful oblivion.

11. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Well, PayPal and credit card merchants prove once again that they make it too easy for buyers to scam sellers/merchants. All a buyer has to do is state a charge was fraudulent weeks after the fact, then *boom* they get to keep the item and the seller is out the money. For some sellers that can be an entire month's pay.

It is despicable how easy it is for dishonest buyers to scam wholly-honest sellers. The law needs to make fraud of this matter enforceable theft. Not that I'm going to stand back and be inactive. I have an aggressive plan for the buyer who did this to me today and for buyers who view defrauding sellers as ok in the future.

12. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Biggest scam there is ;).

13. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

Yup. eBay + PayPal are pretty much a scammer's heaven. As long as they pay with a credit card through PayPal, you just have to pray they don't charge back the transaction. It's unfortunate how easy they make that process.

14. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

It's not even eBay. On eBay I can gauge my risk just by looking at a buyer's history and amount of feedback. Basically any site that accepts credit cards can be a scammer's haven. I assumed PayPal was the most secure way to process payment for sellers and buyers alike but I will reassess for my next web-store assuming they are of no assistance with the chargeback I was issued today.