Have you exchanged or tried to exchange black iPhone 5 after paint wearing away?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kaibex, Feb 5, 2013.

?

have you swapped out your iPhone 5?

1. Yes, no questions asked

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Yes, after refusing to accept no for an answer

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. No, the store wouldn't budge

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  1. kaibex macrumors 6502

kaibex

I am considering booking a genius appointment to exchange my black iPhone 5 which is now showing signs off wear and tear. I have always kept my iPhones pristine since the iPhone 3G, suddenly my iPhone 5 looks badly worn after just a few months! :rolleyes:

2. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

3. cruzmisl macrumors regular

My car has wear and tear after driving it a few months, they should give me a new one because I'm ridiculous.

If you cared about keeping it pristine, why didn't you keep it in it's box? Or a case? Wear and year is on you sir.

4. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Wear and tear isn't covered by the warranty. You can buy a new one for $199 though.

5. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Many people have had luck swapping out it for this reason. However, you'll get a refurb and they will not allow you to exchange it for a white one.

Your success depends upon the mood and temperament of the person you talk to at the Apple store.

6. kaibex thread starter macrumors 6502

kaibex

Don't be so pedantic. I mean that after just a few months the black is wearing away around the edges. I at no point said that I have dropped, bumped or chipped my phone.

Obviously is has not just worn away without use but for a phone worth £599 build quality is not up to scratch (no pun intended)!

----------

I wouldn't want a white one anyway. Thanks for the reply :)

7. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Goodluck with that. They aren't going to replace for normal wear and tear.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. The OP is free to ask, but I wouldn't count on it.

9. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Build quality is not the same as "this thing can be tossed on concrete and not be scratched". Build quality is the fit and finish of the components. Like for plastic, are there noticeable seams that are sharp/unfinished and protruding? For metal, is it finished properly? Does it feel rough and have an uneven texture? Or smooth and flat? Etc. I can go on and on.

10. mjpearce023 macrumors 6502

I have seen some people who say that their phone has defective coating and it chips away too easily. I don't know if the genius would go for that. Your only shot would be to show them that yours comes off easier than one of their floor models. If your phone can be scratched with a fingernail and the floor model can't that would show them that the coating is defective. If yours doesn't scratch any easier than the floor model then its just normal wear and tear and they probably won’t do anything.

11. kaibex thread starter macrumors 6502

kaibex

Love all these replies guys, don't worry about any actual advice just keep the condescending ones coming! :rolleyes:

Clearly 'wear and tear' was not a great use of words. The phone looks like I've just thrown it down at my desk or not had it in a case/sleeve etc. but my point is that I haven't and it has been in a case/sleeve since purchase.

YES I know the onus would be on me to prove that but forgive me from putting you out and making you go out of you way to reply, bar a few!!!

----------

I may make a trip in. Its not something I'm OCD about, just wondered what others may have experienced if they tried. Thanks