Have you read the Bible?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by abijnk, Mar 15, 2008.

1. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Sorry, this turned out to be a mistake, my apologies to all who I may have offended.

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Yes, during a bible studies class over the summer break when I was in HS.

However, not much since then.

3. MacFanBoyIIe macrumors 6502

Yes, more than once. Was a "born-again" Christian in my youth, and a Catholic in my younger youth. As you know, I'm an atheist now.

4. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I read it a couple to three times a week. That time is very important to me. I am striving to spend more time in the word (daily would be good be a good goal)

Ok saw your edit: Cover to cover I have read it less. Estimate is probably less than five times in my life. There are books of the Bible that get very little attention from me. That is probably not a good thing. Things like the " a daily walk-through of the Bible" could help me here.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Yes, multiple times, multiple versions

Is there a specific reason why you ask?

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

6. abijnk thread starter macrumors 68040

abijnk

Pure, unadulterated curiosity. :D

There is a very large spread of religions on this forum, and I thought it would be fun to see who has and has not read the bible. Likewise, if you have read the Qur'an and would like to share that, please do. :)

All in good faith my dear, no hard feelings I do hope. ;)

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Have read the Qur'an as well

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

8. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

yes i have, 2 times since birth, and i am 15.
    yay for me!:D

9. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Never have, never will. I don't want to be told what to believe in and what not to believe in. I'm not religious. I like to think of myself as... spiritual(?)

10. abijnk thread starter macrumors 68040

abijnk

That's neat, I would love to read all religious texts in my lifetime, preferably in their native tounge, but I do think that a bit ambitious. :)

Anyone else?

I don't think reading the bible is being told what to believe in. Religious or not, it is an important historical text, and I don't think anyone can deny that. Much blood has been shed on its, and other religious texts behalf, which is one of the big reasons I want to read as many of them as I can.

11. tonywalker23 macrumors regular

I wish I've finished as often as I've started it but I'm on my third time now. My first couple of years as a Christian it was haphazard reading but the last few years I've tried to read it beginning in January.

Fwiw I have a podcast of my radio show on iTunes. See my sig below if you'd like to listen.

12. MacFanBoyIIe macrumors 6502

Likewise madam. ;)

13. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Why would reading the Bible be the same as being told what to believe in? You can read it for yourself without someone telling you what to believe about it. You don't have to be religious, it is used in literature classes in college as well.

There are certainly zealots who seek to impose their will on others, but there also those who are prejudice against the Bible who have never read it.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

14. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Hey now! I'm not prejudice. I wouldn't have any problem reading the bible or any other religious book. I just prefer to separate myself from one particular religion.

What I have done is pulled religious beliefs from other religions and live by them. I think i live by almost every religion. Am I even making any sense?

15. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

She asked a simple question. In all threads like this I notice people feel the need to throw zingers in about why they don't believe this or that.

Why is that i wonder?
    :rolleyes:

16. abijnk thread starter macrumors 68040

abijnk

I get you. However, your initial statement seemed to imply that reading the bible was the same as having someone beat you over the head with the bible (either in the literal or figurative sense).

Alas, my intent wasn't to discuss individual beliefs. :eek:

Welcome to the PRSI forums. :D

17. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I don't mean prejudice in a hateful sense, just in making a judgment about it without consulting it first.

But how can you pull religious beliefs from other religions without consulting their primary documents? Aren't you just taking someone's word for what that religion believes? And that goes against your idea of not being told what to believe. Don't let someone tell you what the Bible says. Read it yourself. Same with the Qur'an or the Vedas, Upanishads, Bhagavad Gita, or even the Tibetan Book of the Dead. :)

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

18. Marble macrumors 6502a

Marble

I haven't read it cover to cover, but I would be interested. Even the translations use beautiful language and pretty awe-inspiring rhetoric. I guess that's the idea, no? ;)

19. MacFanBoyIIe macrumors 6502

There is a book I read some years ago, I believe it was titled God's Breath... a collection of works from various religions. If you want to dabble in other stuff, it might be worth your while.

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Yes, I've read it in English (King James Version) and quite a bit of the New Testament in Greek, too. I have also read the Q'ran, the Bhagavad Gita, various Gnostic gospels, the Iliad, the Odyssey, the Theogony, Works and Days, and many other mystical and quasi-historical texts.

21. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Ah yes, reading the text in Greek and Hebrew

Brings back memories

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

22. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

23. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

I pick and choose what to believe. If I like something, I'll apply it to my religious beliefs. For example: I was baptized christian but I believe in reincarnation but I also believe in heaven and Hell (not so much hell). The way I look at religion is very confusing to other ppl yet really quite simple to me. Another example is that I really do believe in Karma and the whole "what goes around comes around" mentality.

Just don't test me on other religions. I don't know everything. hehe

Long story short. When it comes to religion, I tend to contradict myself a lot and that's when ppl look at me weird.

24. MacFanBoyIIe macrumors 6502

So are you a theistic agnostic or an agnostic theist? :D

25. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Ummm... they're both the same(?)